Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Very sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    The vagueness in the way his death is begin reported makes one wonder. The one question in everyone's mind isn't addressed? - How does a 29 yr old professional athlete just die?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Reminds me of the rumor game from elementary school. ....by this time next week it will be on twitter that Tommy was snorting lines off some hookers ass while Chipper was shooting him up with heroin. How about we wait to find out what really freaking happened before we start discussing what he supposedly od'd on!!

RIP Tommy

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-11-2015), bravesnumberone (11-11-2015), chop2chip (11-11-2015), jpx7 (11-11-2015), Metaphysicist (11-11-2015)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Darryl Kile was 33 when he died, but it never read if there were warning signs.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    The vagueness in the way his death is begin reported makes one wonder. The one question in everyone's mind isn't addressed? - How does a 29 yr old professional athlete just die?
    From the description I'd say it was most likely Asherson's Syndrome, a rare autoimmune disease.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ampere For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (11-11-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Darryl Kile was 33 when he died, but it never read if there were warning signs.
    He had heart attack and had been complaining about pain in his shoulder for a couple days.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I dont understand why athletes associate themselves with scumbags like the tattoo artist Hanson was with on the night of his death.

Edit: for people that dont know the guy is a male cleat chaser that was banned from the clubhouse
    Last edited by gilesfan; 11-11-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post

I'll let professionals like KB21 give you a better approximation, but I think the way kids train these days from a very young age often puts the body under undue stress. My daughter was a competitive gymnast and I was constantly amazed (and somewhat appalled) by the rigor of her training at a very young age. 20 hours of practice per week for kids who are 11 and 12 years old. She left club gymnastics at age 13 and moved to high school gymnastics and grew about four inches and gained ten pounds in one year. My example is a bit off the wall, but I look at these kids who are playing a single sport year-round and maintaining strenuous conditioning regimens and can't help but wonder if that is simply putting too much stress on bodies, especially those of adolescents. It seems that we witnessing more physical collapses of college athletes (particularly in football and basketball) and it does make me wonder what's up.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-11-2015), clvclv (11-12-2015), jpx7 (11-11-2015), Runnin (11-11-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I'm a sports medicine physician, and my policy at my practice is that you get narcotic pain medication only if you have a fracture or have had surgery, and even then, you get only a certain amount up front. The fact of the matter is, the post op pain from surgery doesn't typically last very long. I'd say that three weeks post op after a rotator cuff repair, and you should be taking no more than 1-2 pills a day if that.
    This is off topic. And this is a sad topic.

I am a pharmacist at a hospital. If that is truly your practice may the lord bless and keep you always. That is rare, really rare.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Per the AP the 911 call was for an overdose.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    [/B]

I'll let professionals like KB21 give you a better approximation, but I think the way kids train these days from a very young age often puts the body under undue stress. My daughter was a competitive gymnast and I was constantly amazed (and somewhat appalled) by the rigor of her training at a very young age. 20 hours of practice per week for kids who are 11 and 12 years old. She left club gymnastics at age 13 and moved to high school gymnastics and grew about four inches and gained ten pounds in one year. My example is a bit off the wall, but I look at these kids who are playing a single sport year-round and maintaining strenuous conditioning regimens and can't help but wonder if that is simply putting too much stress on bodies, especially those of adolescents. It seems that we witnessing more physical collapses of college athletes (particularly in football and basketball) and it does make me wonder what's up.
    Over training may not have been an issue in this case, but you are right. It seems like there have been a dozen or so football related deaths this year. And with the temperatures so high, twoadays in the middle of August is crazy.

Whicker: Tommy Hanson was haunted to the end by family loss
    Last edited by Runnin; 11-11-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Per the AP the 911 call was for an overdose.
    yeah a lot of stuff is coming out.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Toxicology reports came back....officially died of cocaine/alcohol overdose

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Toxicology reports came back....officially died of cocaine/alcohol overdose
    That’s just a kick in the gut. Poor guy.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-12-2015), The Chosen One (12-12-2015), TomahawkCult (12-11-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Why do athletes try stuff like that? It makes no sense whatsoever.

I would never smoke, snort, inject crap in my body. Heck I don't want anything on my body that not supposed to be there including piercings and tattoos.

The hospital has to sign a letter if they put me under that if I have complications I could sue due to not so good side effects and if I have effects I don't have to pay. You keep me awake or else.

All opiates are banned for me by my rule. I can deal with pain so just do not have me take any medication that affects my brain.

I think Sav and Dalyn can back me up on my Facebook posts about those things and understand why.
    I think most athletes go into a depression, when they can no longer play at a high level and it's the only thing they've really ever been good at their entire life.

Tommy was 29, but because of shoulder injuries he went from being a damn good starter among the best in the top level, to scrap heap off the street.

Tommy never got that big free agent contract.

Not excusing what he did of course, but it wouldn't be the first time a former athlete on depression started doing excessive alcohol and opiate intake.
    Forever Fredi

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    I think most athletes go into a depression, when they can no longer play at a high level and it's the only thing they've really ever been good at their entire life.

Tommy was 29, but because of shoulder injuries he went from being a damn good starter among the best in the top level, to scrap heap off the street.

Tommy never got that big free agent contract.

Not excusing what he did of course, but it wouldn't be the first time a former athlete on depression started doing excessive alcohol and opiate intake.
    They have meds for that.

I take depression pills (Excitalopram) and they actually work which I did not believe would. I would not sleep for days, pace around and god forbid when I was in Atlanta with a a cast on my wrist, I couldn't sleep, I wanted to saw the darn thing off. The doc said I was panic depressive, something akin to claustrophobic, she said take these and in 30 days you will feel normal.

That crapped worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    People think depression is nothing. Some people go to extremes and die, like said of the topic. I thought of suicide and such thoughts on a daily basis, but I thought about my wife and children and decide to do something instead of going to hard drugs. I have had vicodin, oxycodone and other opiates and I did not like what they did to me, they made it worst. I went under with several surgeries for broken bones for sports even at my old age. I just like playing sports at my age. Since I can be in a wheel chair and work, broken bones is not an issue. But each time they put me under the side effects where the worst and the opiates they gave me was even worser. I had no cognizant thought at all and I hated that so I told them no meds, I will deal with the pain and yes it was excruciating but doable.

If Hanson had my mental capacity of dealing with pain and not go this route he would be alive but I know he didn't. A lot of athletes don't. I guess their euphoria is different than mine. I hated every minute of it. I want to enjoy my family with a clear head, not a dope head, not a pain med head and someone in his family did not address this issue.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I've been around for a long time but rarely post. For future reference, make sure you are logged in before you try to find the Reply to Thread button.

Anyway, I posted in this thread earlier that I have a friend that knows him pretty well. My friend is good friends with his sister who he hung out with a lot when he was in town. Talked to my friend tonight and this is what I was told.

My friend talked to Tommy that night in the club she and his sister work at. She had a conversation with him and a few others for about 30 minutes. That night he was not partying hard, something that he often did when he was in town. He was only a heavy drinker though, didn't do drugs ever that she knew of. Everyone that knows him was surprised about the drugs because when his shoulder was hurt he did develop a problem with pain killers but he was very open about what he was going through and never hid it. He also worked hard to get rid of that dependency. That would make the cocaine out of character for him.

She said that when he was out drinking he always had a driver and other people around. He was always a very responsible partyer. On this night he only had a couple of beers, no driver and just with a couple of friends, and the tattoo guy also was not with him at this time. She said that he was just home for Thanksgiving and he was very excited because he was getting ready for something (not sure what but maybe some of you others know of what this might have been) where he would be able to showcase himself and he was expecting to get signed by a team for next season. He said his shoulder felt great and he was expecting to be able to pitch good again. Point is, he was not really partying that night, had no driver like normal so what happened later that night is very strange and totally out of character for him.

Also, she said when he was found he had a huge gash on his head and the guy he was with never explained how that happened. She said she was with him about 3 hours before 911 was called and he was not doing anything at that time but had a couple of beers.

I do not know Tommy Hanson or his family and am just posting what a good friend of mine that does know him well told me.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-13-2015), The Chosen One (12-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I've been around for a long time but rarely post. For future reference, make sure you are logged in before you try to find the Reply to Thread button.

Anyway, I posted in this thread earlier that I have a friend that knows him pretty well. My friend is good friends with his sister who he hung out with a lot when he was in town. Talked to my friend tonight and this is what I was told.

My friend talked to Tommy that night in the club she and his sister work at. She had a conversation with him and a few others for about 30 minutes. That night he was not partying hard, something that he often did when he was in town. He was only a heavy drinker though, didn't do drugs ever that she knew of. Everyone that knows him was surprised about the drugs because when his shoulder was hurt he did develop a problem with pain killers but he was very open about what he was going through and never hid it. He also worked hard to get rid of that dependency. That would make the cocaine out of character for him.

She said that when he was out drinking he always had a driver and other people around. He was always a very responsible partyer. On this night he only had a couple of beers, no driver and just with a couple of friends, and the tattoo guy also was not with him at this time. She said that he was just home for Thanksgiving and he was very excited because he was getting ready for something (not sure what but maybe some of you others know of what this might have been) where he would be able to showcase himself and he was expecting to get signed by a team for next season. He said his shoulder felt great and he was expecting to be able to pitch good again. Point is, he was not really partying that night, had no driver like normal so what happened later that night is very strange and totally out of character for him.

Also, she said when he was found he had a huge gash on his head and the guy he was with never explained how that happened. She said she was with him about 3 hours before 911 was called and he was not doing anything at that time but had a couple of beers.

I do not know Tommy Hanson or his family and am just posting what a good friend of mine that does know him well told me.
    He tried that is good thing to hear. He had people around him that is good to hear. But the circumstances around it sounds like a crime.