Results 7,961 to 7,980 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Both Keuchel and Kimbrel have qualifying offers which means loss of draft pick. If the Braves passed on Pollock at reasonable money to sign either one of those guys, somebody needs to be fired. WTH did you draft and trade for all those pitchers if you aren't going to pitch any of them and aren't going to trade any?

Watch, Braves will sign one of these guys on a $18M one year deal and everybody will say what a genius AA is. BS

If you want to improve the rotation do something significant and trade for Kluber (or, lesser then Paxton...too late).

Bottom line is that it's pretty clear that they don't have the cash to make big moves to help 2019 and think they are too far away to spend a bunch of prospect capital on 2019, thinking 2020 and beyond is the target.
    I agree the Braves don't have much money but an inury prone 31 year old Pollock for 4 years isn't something a team like the Braves should gamble on right now.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-01-2019), DirkPiggler (02-01-2019), JohnAdcox (02-01-2019), Southcack77 (02-01-2019)

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Only reason to even think about signing Kimbrel is if we can get JTR and a good outfielder and make a run at going deep into the postseason. Kimbrel on the current team is a waste.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Who would have thought Harper, Machado, Kimbrel plus others would still be available...in February ??

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I agree the Braves don't have much money but an inury prone 31 year old Pollock for 4 years isn't something a team like the Braves should gamble on right now.
    I'm not saying they absolutely should have signed Pollock. I'm saying if they passed on him only to sign Keuchel or Kimbrel then someone needs their head checked.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    I'm not saying they absolutely should have signed Pollock. I'm saying if they passed on him only to sign Keuchel or Kimbrel then someone needs their head checked.
    Depends on the length and money of those contracts. Kimbrel I am not enamored with because high priced relievers are a bad value for mid market teams like the Braves. Keuchel is another story though and would be a big improvement on the staff.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Depends on the length and money of those contracts. Kimbrel I am not enamored with because high priced relievers are a bad value for mid market teams like the Braves. Keuchel is another story though and would be a big improvement on the staff.
    Unless we trade a few starting pitchers...would we seriously not have a starting spot for any of our young pitchers?? What’s the point of drafting so many to have cheap controllable pitchers and the go sign others to not so cheap deals and not only not use, but also not develop those guys.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-01-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Unless we trade a few starting pitchers...would we seriously not have a starting spot for any of our young pitchers?? What’s the point of drafting so many to have cheap controllable pitchers and the go sign others to not so cheap deals and not only not use, but also not develop those guys.
    Trades and injuries will happen.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I wouldn’t give Kimbrel more than 1 year 10.

If we are going to do 15 million for multiple years I’d rather have someone like keichel.

To upgrade the pen we have Weigel , Gohara, fried, etc.

My first priority would be another 3 plus win position player. Then I’d go starter. I don’t see money for a big pen piece. We might not have any money at all

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Both Keuchel and Kimbrel have qualifying offers which means loss of draft pick. If the Braves passed on Pollock at reasonable money to sign either one of those guys, somebody needs to be fired. WTH did you draft and trade for all those pitchers if you aren't going to pitch any of them and aren't going to trade any?

Watch, Braves will sign one of these guys on a $18M one year deal and everybody will say what a genius AA is. BS

If you want to improve the rotation do something significant and trade for Kluber (or, lesser then Paxton...too late).

Bottom line is that it's pretty clear that they don't have the cash to make big moves to help 2019 and think they are too far away to spend a bunch of prospect capital on 2019, thinking 2020 and beyond is the target.
    So trade multiple highly rated pitchers/prospects is better than losing pick No. 60? Sorry but no.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-01-2019), DirkPiggler (02-01-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    I guess he thinks we get Kimbrel, JTR and Keuchel for this to happen?

I woke up in the middle of the night to take a leak and checked Chop Country while I was awake and when I saw this post I thought I was still asleep!
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    I woke up in the middle of the night to take a leak and checked Chop Country while I was awake and when I saw this post I thought I was still asleep!
    For real, no way the astros beat the braves. Tired of olney's disrespect

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (02-01-2019), JohnAdcox (02-01-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Who would have thought Harper, Machado, Kimbrel plus others would still be available...in February ??
    Not me. Baseball has a real issue that needs to be addressed. Both players and teams are at fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Teams are finally willing to say no...

They may have the money, but when is it "not worth" getting hung with a monster contract. It never works out. I think what has gotten out of control is agents setting up reasonable expectations for players.
    Ivermectin Man

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (02-01-2019), Hudson2 (02-01-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyonegoal View Post
    @Buster_ESPN

World Series pick from here for 2019: The Astros bounce back and win their second title in three years, defeating the Atlanta Braves in October.

Buster know something we don’t?
    His sources told him that Dansby's included in the Realmuto deal and that the Machado and Kimbrel signings are going to be announced at the same time the trade announcement comes - Sunday to take the focus off of the Super Bowl.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-01-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So trade multiple highly rated pitchers/prospects is better than losing pick No. 60? Sorry but no.
    Agreed. The pick shouldn't be an issue assuming you can get someone on appropriate terms.

That said, if that choice comes down to a 2 or 3 year deal for Keuchel or Kimbrel I'd sign Kimbrel. I think the rotation is going to be just fine, and if AA decides it needs to be improved he'll go fishing for that TOR guy at the deadline. If you could get Kimbrel for that rumored 3/$45 million and you then pull the trigger on Realmuto (even if you have to overpay a bit) this team is legitimate. Of course, I tend to be more of a believer in some of the young arms than others are.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

I'd probably think the Braves signing any high end free agent to a one year deal would be great. Because that's pretty much the best kind of free agent deal a club can get.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-01-2019)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Copays obsession with pitching prospects is coming home to roost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Pads interested in Gio now. Are they playing with the media or did they hit the powerball?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

The longer the commitment to either, the less I like it, but I could make the case for either.

I sort of like the look of Kimbrell, Vizcaino, Minter, O'Day, Sobtoka, Venters, Carle, Biddle, Winkler, Freeman with whatever young starters you want to put into that mix. I think you could definitely shorter games that way without burning arms and there is a decent chance it could be a really dominant group.

Keuchel slots into the rotation at a crucial place and would seem to play well with Atlanta's defense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Copays obsession with pitching prospects is coming home to roost
    In what way?