Results 9,061 to 9,080 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The faillies had a pretty good ‘everything goes right’ kind of year last year and still finished third. They have improved their team but are moving away from the young core. They got rid of the SS. Catcher and soon RF. Their pitching is super thin and will probably prevent them from taking the next step. I don’t see DK being enough to bridge that. I could be wrong.
    They took their biggest liability in Santana and moved him. Now their stud kid gets to go back to 1b where he thrived before and is less of a defensive liability. Cutch is aging but may put up a decent year and a half or so with them. They upgraded to the best catcher in the game. And have upgraded their bullpen already, and may sign Kimbrel.

If they add a Harper or Machado, they get that much better and the thin rotation may not matter all that much if their lineup can score enough runs and the bullpen close it down
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    They took their biggest liability in Santana and moved him. Now their stud kid gets to go back to 1b where he thrived before and is less of a defensive liability. Cutch is aging but may put up a decent year and a half or so with them. They upgraded to the best catcher in the game. And have upgraded their bullpen already, and may sign Kimbrel.

If they add a Harper or Machado, they get that much better and the thin rotation may not matter all that much if their lineup can score enough runs and the bullpen close it down
    They will be good the next two years. The Nola extension helps. But the point is that they are depleting the backups or future and will find they have to spend more to stay competitive. Eventually that stupid money runs dry and you are stuck with a lot of aging veterans and a thinish farm.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    They will be good the next two years. The Nola extension helps. But the point is that they are depleting the backups or future and will find they have to spend more to stay competitive. Eventually that stupid money runs dry and you are stuck with a lot of aging veterans and a thinish farm.
    Don't disagree it could bite them in the ass in a few years, similar to the last time they were competitive, but i'm talking about 2019
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    I will use the cubs as exhibit A. They are still good but they have made trades that hurt the farm as well as spending to fill holes that are starting to hurt. They have spent big on rotation and now they have holes they can fill like they want because the core has become expensive along with the FA they had to bring in. You can clearly see the window closing for them.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah an oversight by the one who copied the list. You know there is no way he would be an oversight to McDaniel.
    Then wow. Really Bullish on Waters.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-13-2019 at 02:06 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The lack of spending other than on Donaldson AT ALL still confuses the *ell out of just about everyone, hoping against hope that we'll find out that they're close to getting a couple of Acuna and Albies' free-agent years with that money and the money coming off the books next winter.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-13-2019)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    DOB --

#Braves say they went from lower-middle in revenues at Turner Field to upper-middle now at SunTrust. Reiterated intention to be middle-market payroll team (around $140M or above) by 2020 according to chairman McGuirk. Still have plenty $ available for now and/or during '19 season

And #Braves say that Battery will steadily increase revenues as debt is reduced on it and ballpark. They believe it'll push team toward high-revenue category in coming years.

#Braves said their season-ending payroll was $126M last year, after they entered season with $120M target. (They had $90M or less in payroll for active players). They won't give targeted figure this year but plan for it to increase over '18, be it thru moves now or during season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    If the Braves still had "plenty $ available for now" we wouldn't be stuck watching Markakis in cOF.

How many times do these guys think they can tell us the same false information?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Braves still had "plenty $ available for now" we wouldn't be stuck watching Markakis in cOF.

Yeah, unless their plan is to see how prospects are doing and then make big moves at the deadline. That would be more costly AND who knows how much ground we have to make up at that point.

I think they want to see more of these prospects before they move them....or maybe they are just that cheap??

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The Braves have had the players to make every trade that has happened this off season, and haven't pulled the trigger. Hard to imagine them doing something drastic now.

The Indians have cut all the payroll they need to cut. It is unlikely they deal a SP anymore.
    Yeah very unlikely now, but I still think we line up well. If the Indians are not close at the deadline...that could change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts

Right? And if it's not false, then AA is a damn fool. Maybe they're saving it for mid-season acquisitions? I don't know... just field you best team, no BS.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Right? And if it's not false, then AA is a damn fool. Maybe they're saving it for mid-season acquisitions? I don't know... just field you best team, no BS.
    everyone is way more expensive at the deadline and we'll be out of it by then.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yeah, unless their plan is to see how prospects are doing and then make big moves at the deadline. That would be more costly AND who knows how much ground we have to make up at that point.

I think they want to see more of these prospects before they move them....or maybe they are just that cheap??
    My guess is this is what AA is thinking. It's ballsy for sure and I don't agree with it. I keep seeing how far Allard fell. It'd suck to think of who we could have gotten for him if we traded high.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

“Seeing what we have” was the excuse last year.

If they don’t know what the prospects are by now, a few more months isn’t going to help them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,674 Posts
    “Seeing what we have” was the excuse last year.

If they don’t know what the prospects are by now, a few more months isn’t going to help them.
    Perhaps AA likes what he sees in our prospects.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-13-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Can’t keep/play them all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyonegoal View Post
    DOB --

#Braves say they went from lower-middle in revenues at Turner Field to upper-middle now at SunTrust. Reiterated intention to be middle-market payroll team (around $140M or above) by 2020 according to chairman McGuirk. Still have plenty $ available for now and/or during '19 season

And #Braves say that Battery will steadily increase revenues as debt is reduced on it and ballpark. They believe it'll push team toward high-revenue category in coming years.

#Braves said their season-ending payroll was $126M last year, after they entered season with $120M target. (They had $90M or less in payroll for active players). They won't give targeted figure this year but plan for it to increase over '18, be it thru moves now or during season.
    They are all full of ****. Almost as bad as politicians
    Get off my lawn!

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,267 Posts

They're baseball executives. Infinity times.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I could see that with position players, but we have to move a few pitchers very soon. You actually think someone like Allard will ever see a start??..and say bye to any value he has left by sticking him in the bullpen.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    If I'm the Braves I would go after Carlos Martinez!