High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Paul Crane

@PaulCrane7
    Follow Follow @PaulCrane7

Word is.. rumblings about Craig Kimbrel + Braves for one year deal.. will update if and when hear more. @ScoutsHonorPod @929TheGame @knoxbardeen

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Just stop. Maddux was in his mid 20's and coming off a Cy Young and as I recall had the lowest ERA in baseball over 1988-1992. Hosmer was a slightly above average 1b with one season at a great (not elite) level. It was an terrible decision any way you spin it. And this is coming from someone who has been a Hosmer fan over the years.
    Not to mention a few other relevant facts:

- Maddux took less cash to sign with the Braves
    - The Braves were already contenders
    - The Braves had one of the highest payrolls in the sport

But, you know, clvderp gonna derp.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-20-2019), jpx7 (02-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyonegoal View Post
    Paul Crane

@PaulCrane7

Word is.. rumblings about Craig Kimbrel + Braves for one year deal.. will update if and when hear more. @ScoutsHonorPod @929TheGame @knoxbardeen
    1 year deal still cost our 2nd round pick?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ahhh, ok thanks

ETA... this is a garbage rule BTW. The Carter pick this year shouldn't count in the 3rd pick count
    One note of confusion...

Compensation picks for not signing a guy the previous year are "protected" from being lost by signing a QO FA.

What I don't know is if that means a "protected" pick doesn't count toward the 3rd pick designation. If so, the Braves would lose their 3rd round pick, which is essentially nothing to worry about.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    1 year deal still cost our 2nd round pick?
    3rd pick, no matter what the contract is. Compensation to the former team is determined by contract size (over/under $50M).

Unless the Stewart pick is "protected" as I described above, the Braves 3rd pick is their 2nd round pick...somewhere in the 60s.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyonegoal View Post
    Paul Crane

@PaulCrane7

I would be very surprised if Kimbrel has to settle for a 1 year deal. The Wade Davis contract (3/52) should be out there for him...

Kelly, Ottavino, Familia, and Britton all got 3 years, and Britton got $13M per year. I find it hard to believe Kimbrel can't also get 3 years at something much higher than $13M per year.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Can someone sell me on why adding Kimbrel would be a good thing? You'd be giving up our second round draft pick and the draft pool money that comes with it (basically $1 million) to invest in an aging reliever whose velocity is down, walks are up and strikeouts are down.

I know everyone is desperate for a move, and I'm falling into that group too, but am I missing something on why Kimbrel should be the move?
    Totally agree. If the Braves were going to forfeit the pick, I’d have rather seen them sign Pollock.

Question for the more apprised, though: if the Braves sign a second QO FA, do they forfeit a second pick? If not, they may as well sign Keuchel to a short-term deal, provided they’re actually going to sign Kimbrel.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    They would then lose the next lowest pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They would then lose the next lowest pick.
    That’s what I thought I remembered, but I wasn’t sure if the rules had changed. Thanks.

I get the excitement over Kimbrel, but I’d honestly rather see the Braves go after, say, Marwin and Gio Gonzalez than forfeit their third highest pick / accompanying pool money for a reliever (decline or no decline).

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    If the pick lost is intact a 3rd rounder, then adding Kimbrel is a great buy. Having 3 picks inside of 65 is all we need. Every round after that is just filler/lottery picks. I am all in on Craig then sign Marwin and I am back on the AA moniker.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If the pick lost is intact a 3rd rounder, then adding Kimbrel is a great buy. Having 3 picks inside of 65 is all we need. Every round after that is just filler/lottery picks. I am all in on Craig then sign Marwin and I am back on the AA moniker.
    It all depends, as Enscheff said, on to what extent that #9 compensation pick is “protected” from QO ramifications. The comments and actions of the Braves heretofore this off-season leave me to suspect the second-rounder is the team’s third-highest pick, but that’s just speculation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It all depends, as Enscheff said, on to what extent that #9 compensation pick is “protected” from QO ramifications. The comments and actions of the Braves heretofore this off-season leave me to suspect the second-rounder is the team’s third-highest pick, but that’s just speculation.
    IMO, if it is a 1 year deal, then you offer the QO next offseason to recoup or offset the lost pick
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,483 Posts
    David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    #Braves will start Touki Toussaint in Saturday’s opener against the Mets at Port St. Lousy, and Foltynewicz starts Sunday against Astros at WPB. Kolby Allard will follow Toussaint and Bryse Wilson will follow Folty. Those four pitchers are set to work 2 innings apiece.
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    IMO, if it is a 1 year deal, then you offer the QO next offseason to recoup or offset the lost pick
    You can't. Once a player gets a QO it can't be attached the following season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Teams cannot reoffer the QO. It’s now a “once in a given player’s career” deal—which is one incentive for QO guys to take a one-year and then re-enter the market. So forfeiting the pick on Kimbrel’s behalf would be a sweetener for Kimbrel, but a big loss for the Braves (if the pick is indeed their second-rounder) just for a single season of a reliever.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    And adding Kimbrel would cost the Braves their 2nd round pick.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-qualify...ed/c-259650658

• A team that receives revenue sharing will lose its third-highest selection in the following year's Draft. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its fourth-highest remaining pick.

Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2019 Draft would lose its third-round pick. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-round pick.

The Braves are designated as a revenue sharing team and will lose it's third highest selection.

The Dodgers for example have two first round picks and are losing their 2nd (since they don't qualify for revenue sharing) highest selection which is the 31st overall pick for signing Pollock.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

The Braves are designated as a revenue sharing team and will lose it's third highest selection.

The Dodgers for example have two first round picks and are losing their 2nd (since they don't qualify for revenue sharing) highest selection which is the 31st overall pick for signing Pollock.
    Which is the reason adding Kimbrel for one year really makes no sense.

If AA can get him on decidedly favorable terms - 3/$36 million or less - giving up that pick might make some sense. The same thing goes if he were able to add Keuchel on a three year deal.

If you have to push deeper into either player's decline years, I'd just as soon keep the pick - just as I wouldn't give up a pick for one year of either Pitcher since we're obviously not one piece away.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

Thanks for digging that up. As such, I just don’t really see this lining up for both sides.

If the Braves are going to lose their second-rounder / accompanying pool money, then they’re really giving up a lot for one year of Kimbrel (even at a “reasonable” price like $12-15 million); to make it worthwhile, they’d want to have him around a little longer (say, 3/$45). But Kimbrel either wants something in the five-year range, or the opportunity to re-enter the market next offseason sans QO (and with the chance to erase memories of his postseason sketchiness). Not sure there’s a sensible middle at which the sides can meet.

And that’s ignoring the imprudence of a mid-market team (flush with pitching, no less) spending top-dollar (as in: 10+% of payroll) on any reliever.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-20-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Let's never get rid of this kid.

Soroka has the best mix of stuff, control and composure of any of our kids. Very, very excited to see him this year with (hopefully) the shoulder thing figured out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    #Braves will start Touki Toussaint in Saturday’s opener against the Mets at Port St. Lousy, and Foltynewicz starts Sunday against Astros at WPB. Kolby Allard will follow Toussaint and Bryse Wilson will follow Folty. Those four pitchers are set to work 2 innings apiece.
    A bit of insight on who the early favorites are for the #5 and #1 slots in the rotation.