191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think

Donaldson
    Freeman
    Acuña

will each out-WAR Harper next year.

Albies is also a legit shot.
    I think Bryce has a much larger chance of face planting next year under the weight of that huge contract than Machado does. Machado to me is like a mix between Miguel Cabrera and Big Papi. Like he doesn't take the job seriously enough to worry about the expectations of a big contract and dude just rakes. Harper has so far struggled under the weight of expectation. Will be interesting to see how he does in year 1.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    the only way the player opts out is if it’s clearly advantageous to do so. the market is better, the dh is everhwre, the player was consistently great. otherwise he stays.

this favors the player. not the team.

a team wouldn’t push for it unless there a financial benefit. which was my initial point.
    It doesn't have to be bad for the team just because it is good for the player.

If the team uses the opt-out as a way of reducing the total guarantee made to the player it is actually reducing it's risk.

1. Player under-underperforms and opts-in. Team owes player less money over remaining contract than it would have.
    2. Player performs as expected and opts-in. Team owes player less money over remaining contract than it would have.
    3. Player over performs and opts-out. Contract essentially converts into shorter deal for which team received surplus value. Player goes into free agency where team should probably refrain from paying a player in his 30s for his present performance into his late 30s. Biggest loss to team? Short term surplus value that would be offset by long term negative value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

If the team uses the opt-out as a way of reducing the total guarantee made to the player it is actually reducing it's risk.

1. Player under-underperforms and opts-in. Team owes player less money over remaining contract than it would have.
    2. Player performs as expected and opts-in. Team owes player less money over remaining contract than it would have.
    3. Player over performs and opts-out. Contract essentially converts into shorter deal for which team received surplus value. Player goes into free agency where team should probably refrain from paying a player in his 30s for his present performance into his late 30s. Biggest loss to team? Short term surplus value that would be offset by long term negative value.
    I didn't say it had to be bad for the team.
    I said a team wouldn't push for one in a contract. It is more beneficial for a player to have one.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I think Bryce has a much larger chance of face planting next year under the weight of that huge contract than Machado does. Machado to me is like a mix between Miguel Cabrera and Big Papi. Like he doesn't take the job seriously enough to worry about the expectations of a big contract and dude just rakes. Harper has so far struggled under the weight of expectation. Will be interesting to see how he does in year 1.
    i am certainly glad the phillies got harper over machado. i don't see him face planting but we're not talking about mike trout here.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Atlanta doing their best Pittsburgh Pirates impersonation. They could win the division easily if they choose to play like a mid-tier payroll team instead of a bottom tier
    We are the Pittsburgh Braves or Atlanta Pirates now. I'm trying to accept that, so I can still follow my team. Our goal will be to be competitive and we'll need overachieveing seasons from our players.

I just don't want to heat anymore bullshiat from the FO saying otherwise. We're a corporate owned team who will focus on attendance and profitability. Don't tell us anything different and blow smoke up our arses. That's what gets me irritated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (03-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Apparently MadBum is back in the 93mph range with his fastball in his first spring start, which was a mixed bag overall, but if his fastball can return to near career norms he's suddenly a CYA candidate again.
    Not really.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I didn't say it had to be bad for the team.
    I said a team wouldn't push for one in a contract. It is more beneficial for a player to have one.

Cool. I agree.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    @mlbbowman: Snit said the medical staff decided to delay Donaldson's debut for a couple more days. Donaldson has not been limited in any way since arriving in camp. But given battled ailments (calf in 2017 and shoulder in 2018) the past two springs, they don't want to push him early.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyonegoal View Post
    @mlbbowman: Snit said the medical staff decided to delay Donaldson's debut for a couple more days. Donaldson has not been limited in any way since arriving in camp. But given battled ailments (calf in 2017 and shoulder in 2018) the past two springs, they don't want to push him early.
    Gotta protect JD. He was our entire offseason!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    We are the Pittsburgh Braves or Atlanta Pirates now. I'm trying to accept that, so I can still follow my team. Our goal will be to be competitive and we'll need overachieveing seasons from our players.

I just don't want to heat anymore bullshiat from the FO saying otherwise. We're a corporate owned team who will focus on attendance and profitability. Don't tell us anything different and blow smoke up our arses. That's what gets me irritated.
    This is what I've been saying. I don't think AA is going to be judged based on wins or titles. He's going to be judged based on the bottom line. To maximize profits you have to hit that sweet spot where you've spent enough to be competitive and keep fan interest up but haven't hit the point of diminishing returns where money invested into the payroll isn't paid back by additional fan interest.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Chico (03-01-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Unfortunate, but well said.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Chico (03-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I could see it going either way. It could build pressure on him, or it could relieve pressure. That may have been why he prioritized length of contract over AAV. He clearly wanted the security of having the rest of his career guaranteed because he saw that the pressure to perform toward the next payday was too much. Maybe this frees him to not have to worry about his next contract and just play.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Unfortunate, but well said.
    Someone needs to make sure our owners and GM see this. They need to know it’s not acceptable to feed us bs and expect us all to be a bunch of morons and just drink the koolaid.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Dansby Swanson was scratched from today’s #BravesST lineup as a precaution after experiencing left wrist soreness.

My goo. What is going on?
    Last edited by Onlyonegoal; 03-01-2019 at 12:06 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Is it possible we could get Adam Jones for less than Duvall?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

You keep talking in circles just to continue being contrarian.

An opt out clause is a plus for the player. Period.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not really.
    Remember, the sales engineer wanted to trade Fried plus Newk plus 2 more guys for MadBum, and then extend him for 6 more years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-01-2019 at 12:08 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyonegoal View Post
    Dansby Swanson was scratched from today’s #BravesST lineup as a precaution after experiencing left wrist soreness.

My goo. What is going on?
    This is shaping up to be another lost season for Swanson if he can't get that wrist right.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You keep talking in circles just to continue being contrarian.

An opt out clause is a plus for the player. Period.
    Literally have never said it wasn't.

No circles. Straight lines.

Yet you keep replying to me to disagree.

And call me contrarian.

I should make a haiku.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Swanson is probably going to be rested every third game. For a variety of reasons.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."