Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves are savlaging a salary dump (FG article on Maybin's resurgence)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Braves are savlaging a salary dump (FG article on Maybin's resurgence)

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-b...a-salary-dump/

Pretty good article about what adjustments Maybin has made and the effects on his swing\results. Worth a read.

ERG, spelling error I missed tryng to type too fast. SORRY!
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-05-2015), dak (06-05-2015), gamecock4braves (06-05-2015), Garmel (06-05-2015), JohnAdcox (06-05-2015), jpx7 (06-05-2015), Runnin (08-16-2015), thethe (06-05-2015), weso1 (06-05-2015), yeezus (06-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The Kimbrel trade was by far our best move this off-season.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2015), weso1 (06-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So far....
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-05-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It may not turn out to be the sexiest deal in retrospect, if one or more of the kids from the other trades become studs, but it is potentially the most important deal because it makes restocking the team financially feasible.

It bought the FO some credibility with me, because it indicated that they were serious and sensible about rebuilding. We know that liberty isn't going to loosen the purse strings substantially, but now we know we've got the ability to add guys in the next couple years. The fact that we got such a nice piece in Maybin (to say nothing of Wisler) is just so much gravy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Yep, this trade - more than any other - is the one that puts us on the path for a 1-year rebuild and playoff contention in 2016, IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    After reading the article I'm even more optimistic on Maybin. I think we at least have either CF or RF (Nick moved to LF) locked up for the next 2-3 years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    My preferences on how to handle Maybin in order of best to worst . . .

1) Trade him at the deadline or in the offseason.
    2) Keep him as a platoon corner OF / backup CF and find a LHH with solid defense to complement him (preferably someone better than Cunny).
    3) Keep him as an everyday CF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    My preferences on how to handle Maybin in order of best to worst . . .

1) Trade him at the deadline or in the offseason.
    2) Keep him as a platoon corner OF / backup CF and find a LHH with solid defense to complement him (preferably someone better than Cunny).
    3) Keep him as an everyday CF.
    depends on the return

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I understand the scepticism when it comes to Maybin but I just don't see why we would want to trade him. This isn't another slap hitter and we obviously need power. Unless we are able to convince Justin Upton to sign with us I just don't see how we are going to get any power in the outfield.
    Natural Immunity Croc

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I understand the scepticism when it comes to Maybin but I just don't see why we would want to trade him. This isn't another slap hitter and we obviously need power. Unless we are able to convince Justin Upton to sign with us I just don't see how we are going to get any power in the outfield.
    You say you understand the skepticism and then say you don't see why you want to trade him. I question if you really do understand the skepticism.
    thank you weso1!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2015), thethe (06-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    You say you understand the skepticism and then say you don't see why you want to trade him. I question if you really do understand the skepticism.
    You can understand something but still not agree with it. Despite the typical pessimistic outlooks or rebuilding goals I still believe he should be a part of the future. Its not going to be easy to find players with his talent level.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Maybin has always been talented. Although small, its a chance that he has hit a groove with Seitzer. I'd let him play out his deal and see where we go from there. He would at worst be one of the best 4th OF in baseball I'd think.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Making the following assumptions:

1. Markakis is set in a corner spot
    2. Mallex Smith will be given every chance in CF by 2017 at the latest
    3. An impact bat will be acquired for RF/LF

Then you trade Maybin the second a team offers the trade value a starting-caliber CFer with 2+ years of reasonably priced control would command (I will not pretend to know what that would include).

However, if the team continues to hover around the edge of contention, I would be against trading away any MLB talent.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quite sure I'm the biggest Maybin-hound around since I've been openly calling for the FO to find a way to get him for at least a couple years before we got him. While it's nice be able to pat yourself on the back every once-in-awhile when you're right, this isn't intended to be an "I told you so" gusher. That said, we're seeing the real Cam now - this is the guy scouts absolutely raved about when he was drafted, when he was included in the deal to get Miguel Cabrera, and the guy the Padres thought they were getting when they gave him his current contract and thought they got an absolute steal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...2k12_30qpadres

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/...top&pid=457727

"Cameron Maybin is a very athletic MLB bodied, projectable 6'3/195 OF from Arden, NC. To no ones surprise Maybin was one of the stars of the showcase, almost matching Justin Upton in his speed/power combination."

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/P...e.aspx?ID=5696

This "salary dump" could very well put the Braves in a position to call J-Up's representatives and tell them "make us your last call once you think you've gotten your highest offer" next winter and then offer to beat that number by $1 million per. Suddenly you've got a legitimate contender ( not playoff contender, World Series contender). Pay whatever you need to to get J-Up back and spend the rest of the money on Wieters instead of elsewhere and you've got one of the deepest lineups in the game...

Peterson, Maybin, Freeman, Upton, Wieters, Johnson, Markakis, Simmons

Re-sign Jim Johnson, convert Banuelos into a RP, add a healthy Shae Simmons and Vizcaino and you've got another dominant bullpen...

Grilli, Johnson, Banuelos, Simmons, Avilan, Chris Withrow, Vizcaino

Tuck Martin and Williams Perez away at Gwinnett to stay stretched out in case of injury, and I'd be happy to go to battle with Miller, Wood, Teheran, Folty, and Wisler.

If you need more pitching, you've got Peraza and Mallex Smith to trade for it. If Chris Johnson falters, you slide Peterson over and plug Peraza in. The possibilities (and likey answers) are endless AND in-house.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Quite sure I'm the biggest Maybin-hound around since I've been openly calling for the FO to find a way to get him for at least a couple years before we got him. While it's nice be able to pat yourself on the back every once-in-awhile when you're right, this isn't intended to be an "I told you so" gusher. That said, we're seeing the real Cam now - this is the guy scouts absolutely raved about when he was drafted, when he was included in the deal to get Miguel Cabrera, and the guy the Padres thought they were getting when they gave him his current contract and thought they got an absolute steal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...2k12_30qpadres

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/...top&pid=457727

"Cameron Maybin is a very athletic MLB bodied, projectable 6'3/195 OF from Arden, NC. To no ones surprise Maybin was one of the stars of the showcase, almost matching Justin Upton in his speed/power combination."

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/P...e.aspx?ID=5696

This "salary dump" could very well put the Braves in a position to call J-Up's representatives and tell them "make us your last call once you think you've gotten your highest offer" next winter and then offer to beat that number by $1 million per. Suddenly you've got a legitimate contender ( not playoff contender, World Series contender). Pay whatever you need to to get J-Up back and spend the rest of the money on Wieters instead of elsewhere and you've got one of the deepest lineups in the game...

Peterson, Maybin, Freeman, Upton, Wieters, Johnson, Markakis, Simmons

Re-sign Jim Johnson, convert Banuelos into a RP, add a healthy Shae Simmons and Vizcaino and you've got another dominant bullpen...

Grilli, Johnson, Banuelos, Simmons, Avilan, Chris Withrow, Vizcaino

Tuck Martin and Williams Perez away at Gwinnett to stay stretched out in case of injury, and I'd be happy to go to battle with Miller, Wood, Teheran, Folty, and Wisler.

If you need more pitching, you've got Peraza and Mallex Smith to trade for it. If Chris Johnson falters, you slide Peterson over and plug Peraza in. The possibilities (and likey answers) are endless AND in-house.
    Not a bad plan. How much do you think it would cost to sign Upton, Wieters and Johnson.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not a bad plan. How much do you think it would cost to sign Upton, Wieters and Johnson.
    J-Up - 7-8 years/$175-$216 million ($25-$27 million per)
    Wieters - 5 years/$45-50 million ($9-$10 million per)
    Johnson - 2-3 years/$6-$12 million ($3-$4 million per)

If you could get them for those dollars, you'd still have plenty of financial flexibility in the event you needed to add pitching during the season.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-05-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Johnson - 2-3 years/$6/$12 million ($3-$4 million per)

If you could get them for those dollars, you'd still have plenty of financial flexibility in the event you needed to add pitching during the season.
    This is a very solid plan, and pretty much the exact type of thing I hope the team has in mind. You had Maybin and CJ in the starting lineup, and while I'm pretty sure Mallex and Perez will be pushing for playing time in CF, 3B and 2B by next year, they at least open up interesting trade scenarios and backup plans.

CJ especially, I don't see him being anything more than a bench player or off the roster entirely by 2017. He is literally the last bit of dead weight the team needs to shed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Johnson - 2-3 years/$6-$12 million ($3-$4 million per)

Russell Martin got 5 years/82M. I realize he has been more durable than Weiters, but he's also older. The numbers for Upton and Johnson are probably low too, but strike me as closer to the mark than the ones for Weiters.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Russell Martin got 5 years/82M. I realize he has been more durable than Weiters, but he's also older. The numbers for Upton and Johnson are probably low too, but strike me as closer to the mark than the ones for Weiters.
    It would be crazy to give JUp upwards of $30M per year, and I am about the biggest JUp homer around. Have to figure Wieters will get $18M+ for 5+ years, and I can't imagine the Braves going 5+ years on a catcher. I would probably avoid giving a BP arm a 3 year deal as well.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just because the Jays were willing to give a terrible contract to a Catcher doesn't mean everyone else will - if you have to give ANY Catcher more than $10 million per to sign, you're better off finding other options.