Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves are savlaging a salary dump (FG article on Maybin's resurgence)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    You should read the thread then since it's about how what Maybin is doing is sustainable.
    Thanks for the tip.

Anyway naturally you assumed that I was making an inference about Maybin, but alas you are wrong. Usually someone will jump in and just say the player will plummet.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

Anyway naturally you assumed that I was making an inference about Maybin, but alas you are wrong. Usually someone will jump in and just say the player will plummet.
    No I wasn't making any inferences on your opinion of Maybin. I was making an observation about your assumption of the board. Read the thread. I don't think a single poster said anything about Maybin bound to plummet.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    No I wasn't making any inferences on your opinion of Maybin. I was making an observation about your assumption of the board. Read the thread. I don't think a single poster said anything about Maybin bound to plummet.
    Thanks for the tip, again.

You are new here. So it's understandable though. Please don't make a habit of not understanding how things work around here. Okay? Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts

You are new here. So it's understandable though. Please don't make a habit of not understanding how things work around here. Okay? Thanks and have a great day!
    Pretty sure C2C has been here longer than you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

Ah the culture shock of you not reading is always difficult to adjust to Thanks for the heads up.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Haven't read through this thread. Just wondering if there has been a post about Maybin being overly lucky and how this won't continue on. He has never hit this well before and the law of averages says he will decline. You know that sort of stuff.
    Have you adjusted your analysis for Maybin playing in SD?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Would require initial "analysis" on Niners' behalf to begin with.
    Forever Fredi

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-06-2015), jpx7 (06-06-2015), zitothebrave (06-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Maybin is up to .280/.360/.420. I would be ecstatic if he could maintain that but we have no idea what his ceiling is right now.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    He's been selective at the plate and has made consistent hard contact. He sounds like he has a good feel for where his mechanics are right now. I don't see him hitting for a lot of power, but I think what he's doing looks pretty sustainable.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    In the pictures, they have Maybin facing Mat Latos in like 4 different games.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This went way over your higher educated head.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Why is that a comparison?

It's a cheap cop out to say any free agent deal could end up bad because of Melvin. He's arguably the worst free agency signing ever. The odds of that happening to a player again are pretty minuscule.

Martin is already at 2.2 WAR, which puts him on pace for about 6 WAR this year. Even with a normal decline, Martin projects to be an awesome value that is aided by the fact he's extremely popular in Toronto because he's Canadian. Disagree with the logic behind signing an older catcher, but you can't chalk that one up as a gross overpay.
    It's not a "cop out" - the point is that lots of bad deals look good in Year One or even Year Two, just as some good deals look awful in the beginning.

American League clubs have a distinct advantage when it comes to taking gambles on longer-term contracts for Catchers - they can keep them healthier, get more production from them, and extend their careers by using them at DH from time-to-time (or even on a regular basis).

If the Braves were ever going to make that kind of commitment to a Catcher, they'd have done so with Brian McCann - they simply couldn't afford to. Given the economic changes since they let Mac walk (renegotiated TV deal, new stadium) and the almost complete lack of Catcher prospects throughout the organization I could see them going as far as 5 years for a player like Wieters, but if it were to take a $12-$15 million yearly commitment to get him I don't think they can afford to have another contract like that blow up in their faces - especially at such an important position.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    You should read the thread then since it's about how what Maybin is doing is sustainable.
    Why on earth would he do that??? He's never bothered to before.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    We are quite possibly watching Maybins career year at age 28, so if Hart can sell high and get a solid prospect or unload CJ, I think he needs to make it happen.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We are quite possibly watching Maybins career year at age 28, so if Hart can sell high and get a solid prospect or unload CJ, I think he needs to make it happen.
    Nope, makes no sense to trade him.

We arent getting any of the big names at outfield this winter, and the farm doesnt have much ready for 2016, could not disagree more.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Nope, makes no sense to trade him.

We arent getting any of the big names at outfield this winter, and the farm doesnt have much ready for 2016, could not disagree more.
    I find it extremely unlikely the plan going into 2017 doesn't include acquiring an impact bat for LF, either through trade or FA. The money is there (finally), and the trade fodder is there. I also find it equally unlikely that Maybins performance has altered the plan to acquire said impact bat in any way whatsoever.

If he isn't in the long term plans, then maximize his value. Keeping him may very well be the way to maximize his value, but I would bet flipping him to a contending team at the deadline would net a prospect more valuable than what Maybin will produce in the punting years. If no such trade materializes, or the team remains on the edge of contention, then obviously don't trade him just for the sake of selling high.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I find it extremely unlikely the plan going into 2017 doesn't include acquiring an impact bat for LF, either through trade or FA. The money is there (finally), and the trade fodder is there. I also find it equally unlikely that Maybins performance has altered the plan to acquire said impact bat in any way whatsoever.

If he isn't in the long term plans, then maximize his value. Keeping him may very well be the way to maximize his value, but I would bet flipping him to a contending team at the deadline would net a prospect more valuable than what Maybin will produce in the punting years. If no such trade materializes, or the team remains on the edge of contention, then obviously don't trade him just for the sake of selling high.
    Im sure that is the plan but if you've looked at the market for FA outfielders in 2017, it's relatively weak. Im not expecting us to get Justin, Jason or Cespedes.

Secondly, takes two to tango, teams arent gonna just trade good, young quality hitters just because of it.

It has no but it still doesnt make much sense to trade him given he's relatively affordable the next 2 years.

Regardless of what the team does or is, i dont agree with trading him just for a prospect that likely wont amount to nothing. We arent the Dodgers, or Yankees or some high market team so we cant go out there and sign a major free agent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    How can we not go out and sign a major FA when we have the money and will have more when the stadium opens??

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    How can we not go out and sign a major FA when we have the money and will have more when the stadium opens??
    Again, we could but its not a guarantee.

You dont trade a guy like Maybin just for a good prospect, who makes under 10 mil in 2016 and 2017 each year.

I still dont see us in on Justin, Jason or Ces.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Again, we could but its not a guarantee.

You dont trade a guy like Maybin just for a good prospect, who makes under 10 mil in 2016 and 2017 each year.

I still dont see us in on Justin, Jason or Ces.
    What if Maybin packaged with CJ have the Braves enough flexibility to sign JUp? What if some contending team is desperate for an upgrade in CF at the deadline and gives up a top 50 prospect that could fill a need or be used to in a package to acquire an impact bat?

I don't think anyone is saying sell high on Maybin just to sell high, but if Mallex and Markakis are already penciled in the OF for 2017, Maybin is probably not the type of bat needed in LF despite his current good work.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2015)