Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves are savlaging a salary dump (FG article on Maybin's resurgence)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What if Maybin packaged with CJ have the Braves enough flexibility to sign JUp? What if some contending team is desperate for an upgrade in CF at the deadline and gives up a top 50 prospect that could fill a need or be used to in a package to acquire an impact bat?

I don't think anyone is saying sell high on Maybin just to sell high, but if Mallex and Markakis are already penciled in the OF for 2017, Maybin is probably not the type of bat needed in LF despite his current good work.
    Once they release Cahill and trade Grilli, they'll have like 50 mil pre-arb, they have plenty of money to sign JUp if they wanted too regardless of that.

I'd trade Maybin if it gets us a legit power hitter in the outfield, or a long-term 3B/C, otherwise you're just making a trade to make a trade.
    Last edited by Heyward; 06-07-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I only trade Maybin if it gets us a clear upgrade at 3b or C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't believe that trading below market contracts is a smart way to run an organization. If Maybin continues to show this improvement then his contract is one fo the best bargains in baseball. The offense has been fine this year and we can still upgrade even without bringing in someone for the OF next season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't believe that trading below market contracts is a smart way to run an organization. If Maybin continues to show this improvement then his contract is one fo the best bargains in baseball. The offense has been fine this year and we can still upgrade even without bringing in someone for the OF next season.
    It means it would bring a greater return... Keep that in mind.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    It means it would bring a greater return... Keep that in mind.
    If it would bring a long-term 3B, LF or C, yeah but teams arent gonna trade that type of guy for Maybin so it's pointless.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I think J-Up train has left. Regardless how much money we have, imo there is 0 chance we sign him in FA. J-Hey slightly more likely to sign than J-Up, but still doubtful, imo.

Out of all the FA hitters, Dexter Fowler is the most likely, imo. Personall, I see us trading for big hitter and spending money a FA pitcher like Greinke or Samardzija.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I would be more interested in keeping Maybin long-term if we could find a taker on Markakis. This would give us room for Maybin, Smith and someone with power in the outfield replacing Markakis. Markakis is doing fine now but he should start to decline more the second half of his contract.

That said, I still expect the Braves to trade Maybin at some point regardless to what I want or think.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 06-07-2015 at 01:03 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think J-Up train has left. Regardless how much money we have, imo there is 0 chance we sign him in FA. J-Hey slightly more likely to sign than J-Up, but still doubtful, imo.

Out of all the FA hitters, Dexter Fowler is the most likely, imo. Personall, I see us trading for big hitter and spending money a FA pitcher like Greinke or Samardzija.
    This is the kind of thinking that goes completely against what the Braves have been doing since Wren was cut loose.

I think it is blatantly obvious the Braves will be trying to acquire young dynamic arms and try to groom them into top of the rotation pitchers, rather than paying a premium to acquire an established Ace. Ride the young guns until they flame out, then get rid of them and bring up the next guy in line.

If you're going to splurge with a contract, do so with a position player. They tend to have better shelf lives.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

I dont see us going for a pitcher.

At a minimum we'll have Julio, Wood, Miller, Wood, Perez, Wisler, Manny as rotation types next year.

Signing a guy like Kazmir, or Gallarado or a guy on a 2-3 year deal is more likely than spending 200+ mil on an ace.

Not to mention some others down on the farm as well, i just dont see them signing a big-name ace next winter.

Which 3 are you getting rid of to sign a big-name.

Could package two of them for a bat but takes two to tango.

I agree on your Jason/Justin takes though.
    Last edited by Heyward; 06-07-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is the kind of thinking that goes completely against what the Braves have been doing since Wren was cut loose.

I think it is blatantly obvious the Braves will be trying to acquire young dynamic arms and try to groom them into top of the rotation pitchers, rather than paying a premium to acquire an established Ace. Ride the young guns until they flame out, then get rid of them and bring up the next guy in line.

If you're going to splurge with a contract, do so with a position player. They tend to have better shelf lives.
    Only problem is after Justin, and Cespedes, there isnt many power hitting outfielders next winter.

So they probably have to trade for one and players like that cost a lot to get in trades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    What is this obsession with Dexter Fowler? He's not even a really good CFer and we'd be better off just keeping Maybin. As close as Smith and co. are I have no interest in Fowler given how much he'll probably cost. I am more interested in adding an outfielder with some power since Markakis is lacking so much in that area, etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-08-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    What is this obsession with Dexter Fowler? He's not even a really good CFer and we'd be better off just keeping Maybin. As close as Smith and co. are I have no interest in Fowler given how much he'll probably cost. I am more interested in adding an outfielder with some power since Markakis is lacking so much in that area, etc.
    Local guy, he has some pop but yeah he's pretty similar to Nick and Maybin.

I dont know if he fits what Hart wants but i'd go for Cespedes.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I would be more interested in keeping Maybin long-term if we could find a taker on Markakis. This would give us room for Maybin, Smith and someone with power in the outfield replacing Markakis. Markakis is doing fine now but he should start to decline more the second half of his contract.

That said, I still expect the Braves to trade Maybin at some point regardless to what I want or think.
    I agree but i dont see anyone taking his contract unfortunately.

I dont mind Nick but the years on the backend are gonna be bad.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Maybin up to .295

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I agree but i dont see anyone taking his contract unfortunately.

I dont mind Nick but the years on the backend are gonna be bad.
    I don't either for the same reason. That is partly why I expect Maybin to be traded at some point even though not really what I want.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I don't either for the same reason. That is partly why I expect Maybin to be traded at some point even though not really what I want.
    I can see the reasoning but unless its for a long-term C, 3B, or power hitting outfielder, it doesnt make sense.

Trading him just to trade him makes no sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I can see the reasoning but unless its for a long-term C, 3B, or power hitting outfielder, it doesnt make sense.

Trading him just to trade him makes no sense.
    I don't see him traded just to trade him, that would be stupid. I expect they could trade him due to a number of factors. They may try to bundle him with CJ if someone has a need in CF and a lefty masher off the bench. How soon they bring up not just Smith, but even Peraza (unless he's traded) could also factor into play since Peraza may play a lot in CF. Plus they then could use that extra cash on a power hitter for outfield, 3B or catcher. If they bundle him with CJ too then maybe spread it around to fill multiple positions or get one big name player at least one position. The point is there is a number of ways they could go here. Do I want them to trade him? No, I like his character and he's basically a local player being so close to home. He seems to work well with Seitzer so I have hopes he can stay successful this time around. However, he has to prove he can stay healthy too so that may be my one concern.

To sum it up, I'd do all in my power to trade Markakis before considering moving Maybin. But I do think one of them will have to go by 2017 if not earlier. And my best guess is that will be trading Maybin at some point.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Why would anyone trade for Markakis?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    No one said they would, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to move him.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 06-07-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Who said they would?