Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next years payroll

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Because I’m not convinced Riley will be good.
    Not as much Riley being good, but paying a guy (any guy), to a big contract in declining years. We just got rid of Kemp’s contract.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Not as much Riley being good, but paying a guy (any guy), to a big contract in declining years. We just got rid of Kemp’s contract.
    You should probably go back and read what I wrote. Pretty clearly said that I’d be involved in the Donaldson talks but “it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I know it’s a long shot but Machado or Harper make a ton of sense. Anybody who looks at the Braves are gonna see Albies, Acuna, Swanson, Freeman, Soroka and the other young guys and how good we will be for a long time and will wanna be a part of it. Machado or Harper would fit in perfectly with the bunch we have. Harper fits the bigger need of the 2 but his personality is also a little more toxic so that’s why I would lean towards going after Machado. 8/260 get it done?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    In that case could Riley play left?

Machado wants to go back to SS btw
    Early returns have been negative across the board and suggest he should return/stick to 3B.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    You should probably go back and read what I wrote. Pretty clearly said that I’d be involved in the Donaldson talks but “it will likely get above what I'm comfortable spending on him.”
    He will want a long term deal no matter what we are paying him a year. Better to find a young up and coming guy to gamble on. What exactly has Riley not done for you? He is pretty young to even be in AA. Just not sure why some people are so low on him. I don’t expect him to really be a star, but feel pretty comfortable about him being a above average starter. Even scouts that didn’t like him have admited he’s made adjustments and has improved in all areas.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    He will want a long term deal no matter what we are paying him a year. Better to find a young up and coming guy to gamble on. What exactly has Riley not done for you? He is pretty young to even be in AA. Just not sure why some people are so low on him. I don’t expect him to really be a star, but feel pretty comfortable about him being a above average starter. Even scouts that didn’t like him have admited he’s made adjustments and has improved in all areas.
    I hope he’s awesome and proves me wrong, just not fully buying the bat yet. I’ve seen a lot of his at bats in the last two years, and he struggles to hit velocity. Add in his strikeout numbers and not having good walk numbers, and I’m just not very high on him. I know I’m probably in the minority on here and that’s fine. I definitely hope I’m wrong.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-05-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Not sure i'd spend on 3B with progression of Camargo and Riley.

SP are some options but i dont know if AA spends on that.

As someone else said, AJ Pollock seems like a no-brainer, only issue is how many years. Pollock-Ender-Acuna would be a nasty outfield to have.

Depending on his price, i wouldnt be against going for Grandal, and signing one of Suzuki/Flowers back.

I'd look to get a veteran arm, i dont know if AA will go all out for Kimbrel. Wouldnt hate it but not sure thats his style.

As has been said as well, the biggest thing next winter is going to be trades. AA will have had a year to see the system and what prospects are what. Not sure he guts the farm for anyone but he would have had time to see the farm.

It will be interesting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    Would Pollock come here knowing he has to play a corner outfield position?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Would Pollock come here knowing he has to play a corner outfield position?
    Depends on the money, I’d think; but given his age and injury history, you’d think the team could sell him on a move helping his longevity, at the right price. But Enscheff speculated there are enough teams that’ll be willing to pay him more to play CF than the Braves will be willing to pay him to play RF.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    McGuirk is such a slime ball. Right after the team built Sun Trust Park he ran to the AJC claiming the Braves would have top ten payrolls and now he’s suggesting payroll will be limited until the debt is paid off, which may be a while! How convenient for the beneficiaries of this new stadium that’s significantly increased the franchise value that they have this wonderful excuse to prevent raising payroll.

What a joke. This team should have stayed at Turner.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    McGuirk is such a slime ball. Right after the team built Sun Trust Park he ran to the AJC claiming the Braves would have top ten payrolls and now he’s suggesting payroll will be limited until the debt is paid off, which may be a while! How convenient for the beneficiaries of this new stadium that’s significantly increased the franchise value that they have this wonderful excuse to prevent raising payroll.

This was always one part of the slimy implicit of the move, was obvious to those of us who were skeptics and critics of the move to Cobb County, and shouldn’t come as a great surprise to those who were boosters of the move.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    This was always one part of the slimy implicit of the move, was obvious to those of us who were skeptics and critics of the move to Cobb County, and shouldn’t come as a great surprise to those who were boosters of the move.
    A Faustian bargain at its best. I think the optimists held their nose at the stench of the chicanery with the expectation we would get higher payrolls. Without the higher payroll there is nothing to mask the grossness.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Anyone who thinks this team should've stayed at Turner hasn't been to the new park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    In that case could Riley play left?

Machado wants to go back to SS btw
    that's just about his payday. Once he gets the big contract so doubt he cares. Plus we have the recent legacy of a great 3B that came up as a SS to follow.

If we sign him without trading for him we would have an uber versatile team. Machado starts at 3B and can backup SS if Dansby goes down. Riley should be capable of starting in LF and backing up 3B and 1B. Beyond that Camargo is a great super sub. Maybe add a good defensive catcher that's good with the pitching staff if we can't keep Flowers and/or Suzuki and a championship caliber team imo. We wouldn't even need our pitching prospects to become aces with position players like that.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Core of the team being locked up for 3+ years gives us a ton of flexibility. With our competitive window now open, we can afford a little luxury. So I'd spend the money this way:

BP. Sign Kimbrel. A great fit for our current need and future payrolls.

LF. Not much on the FA front aside from Pollock. Rather not give 125 million (or more) to a 31 year old OFer. So likely trade at this point.

C. Honestly, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Part of me wants to go after Grandal, but Suzuki and Flowers are a great combo. I'd look to bring both back.

SP. Gio Gonzalez will be the prize of the off-season here on the FA front. But I can't see us spending that sort of cash on a pitcher giving our current state. I'd consider bringing McCarthy back (or a similar pitcher) as a veteran presence and allow the 2nd wave of pitching prospects to get their feet wet slowly at the ML level.