Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Sean Burnett

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Braves sign Sean Burnett

Sounds like a Minor Leagaue deal. Organizational depth, and possible lefty option if he produces at AAA.
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Adios, EOF.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Adios, EOF.
    please!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Good signing. It has been obvious for a long time now that we were short lefty pen options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Like it. Better late than never. Hope he can show something at GWI. Looks like he allowed quite a few baserunners in his stint with the Dodgers AAA team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts
    #Braves optioning Gant to open spot for Foltynewicz, and calling up OF Matt Tuiasosopo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pfiggy View Post
    #Braves optioning Gant to open spot for Foltynewicz, and calling up OF Matt Tuiasosopo
    Glad to see Gant returning to AAA. I think he is a potential starter at the ML level.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-02-2016), JohnAdcox (05-03-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Glad to see Gant returning to AAA. I think he is a potential starter at the ML level.
    He might get start tonight. he hasn't pitched in a while and Folty was supposed to pitch tonight in AAA.. They may move Sims up and slot Gant for tomorrow too.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I was surprised when they didn't grab Burnett earlier.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-03-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pfiggy View Post
    We now have three RHH OFs who can't hit much.

I imagine Gant is happy that Gwinnett is just a short drive from Atlanta. I wonder if he rented a place equidistant to both stadiums.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Tuiasosopo is there until we are able to call up Bonifacio. Not that this implies much in terms of pinch hitting options.

I think the plan du jour is still for Garcia to get most of the time in left. I suspect that Mallex will get sent down when Inciarte is ready and that Castro gets sent down when Beckham is ready. We need to give priority to long-term development, which means trying to find a way for Garcia, Mallex and Castro to get lots of playing time. Right now we can do this at the major league level for all three.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Tuiasosopo is there until we are able to call up Bonifacio. Not that this implies much in terms of pinch hitting options.

I think the plan du jour is still for Garcia to get most of the time in left. I suspect that Mallex will get sent down when Inciarte is ready and that Castro gets sent down when Beckham is ready. We need to give priority to long-term development, which means trying to find a way for Garcia, Mallex and Castro to get lots of playing time. Right now we can do this at the major league level for all three.
    Mallex is being Mallex. He seems to always struggle on promotion. He has been really impressive at the plate lately. I think he will get sent down as well.. but hopefully not for too long. I think he might be turning the corner in the MLB..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

I'm hoping that Mallex does NOT get sent down. He seems to be having better at bats and is hitting over .300 in his last 7 games. He provides you more options with the line up. Using yesterday batting 9th as an example. Castro has been great since coming up, giving us a little stability on defense and offense. I'm hoping for a Beckham DFA.....not sure what the corresponding move would be to keep Smith
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Because he was called up so early in the season, this year would count as a full year of service time if Mallex remained in the majors. It does make sense to send him down for a few weeks, at least from the perspective of service time.

My guess is that once Inciarte is back, our everyday outfield will be him in center with Garcia in left and Markakis in right.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Per the collective bargaining agreement, a year of service time is considered 172 days, and the Major League season generally lasts 183 days -- 162 games plus 21 off-days.

Mallex was promoted April 11. Regular season started April 4. I think if we sent him down for as little as five days, it would allow an extra year of contractual control.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-02-2016), jpx7 (05-02-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Per the collective bargaining agreement, a year of service time is considered 172 days, and the Major League season generally lasts 183 days -- 162 games plus 21 off-days.

Mallex was promoted April 11. Regular season started April 4. I think if we sent him down for as little as five days, it would allow an extra year of contractual control.
    It makes sense and IMO he needs to play every day. When Inciarte comes back you send him down. Then you hopefully find a great deal for Markakis and bring him back up. But I wouldn't dump Markakis just to make room for Mallex.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Adios, EOF.
    Actually, I hope not.

I would hope Burnett could come up and be the go to lefty with EOF staying with the team and trying to work things out and get back close to where he was when he was good. I would feel differently if the Braves were contending but they're not. So, why not carry the guy and see if you can build some value.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    **** YEAH

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-02-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Actually, I hope not.

I would hope Burnett could come up and be the go to lefty with EOF staying with the team and trying to work things out and get back close to where he was when he was good. I would feel differently if the Braves were contending but they're not. So, why not carry the guy and see if you can build some value.
    The dollars spent carrying him. Don't get me wrong, I love EOF as much as everyone else, but he's just toast. Bobby used both he and Venters up, and it's time to move on. Give some of the kids in the minors shots during this lost season and see if we might have anything with any of them. If not, we need to start looking for pen pieces for 2017 this winter.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

I can see sending him down for ONLY enough time to manage his clock, but only after explaining the situation to him completely and telling him you want him to see a few lefties and you're going to call him right back up. He's really started to turn the corner a bit over his last few games, and you can just see his confidence starting to build with every start. If he needs to move to LF with Ender back, that's fine (and a potential excuse to send him down for a week without coming right out and admitting it's only about service-time), but I really think he's starting to get much more comfortable. He's taken a little time to adjust with each jump in levels, and he looks like he's getting there at this level to me.