Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 6/14 JT vs Harper

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I think the target for a return with a guy like Garcia is a player like TD, and honestly something like that is a really good return for a rental.

I don't see anybody on here talking about getting a top-100 prospect back... but there are a bunch of toolsy players outside the top-100 that would be nice to add. I think you target someone with upside that's either coming off injury, or raw and you see if you can develop him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Who knows what dumb **** a contender is going to do?
    This is the part that people tend to forget, teams have a tendency to overpay at the deadline for decent talent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Depending on the return would anyone be interested in keeping him and giving him a qualifying offer? Could net us a pick in the 30's. If he accepts we get him on a 1 year deal. Even if it's 16-17 million, overpaying slightly for 1 isn't a big deal. It could net us a better return if teams think we are serious about keeping him.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 06-15-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Depending on the return would anyone be interested in keeping him and giving him a qualifying offer? Could net us a pick in the 30's. If he accepts we get him on a 1 year deal. Even if it's 16-17 million, overpaying slightly for 1 isn't a big deal. It could net us a better return if teams think we are serious about keeping him.
    I don't like the injury risk that Garcia conveys and we also have young guys who might actually be in our future plans that need innings.

I'm all about dealing him while he's healthy and productive.

Again, this doesn't have to be a great return, find a kid in the low minors with a couple loud tools and see if you can mold him, or a 22 year old in AA with a really good fastball/curve combo that fits into the bullpen in a couple years, or a guy that's fallen out of favor....... I think you can get a piece with nice upside for Garcia, while opening up a slot in the rotation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL, ok. I'm not sure how many times you guys have to have your unrealistic expectations dashed before you adjust them.

Remember 2 days ago when everyone said Wright was going to sign under slot because he was a Braves fan? Remember when I said there was no chance he signed for anything other than over slot? How did that turn out?
    Saying that available alternatives to Garcia could negatively\positively affect the value of the return for him is unrealistic and where was I ever thinking Wright signs under slot bc he's a braves fan?

I don't follow your post or reasoning that this isn't the case. It just seems like a personal jab?
    Ivermectin Man

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    If Freddie AND Kemp are on the DL....Lawd...
    If I understand the saber logic, Kemp is no loss. He is near replacement level in LF, so we should be able to get any swinging dick from Gwinnett in here to fill in for him.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    It's not a crazy idea, and when he's healthy I love him, but he's truly made of glass. I have to pass though I'd like to buy.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    If I understand the saber logic, Kemp is no loss. He is near replacement level in LF, so we should be able to get any swinging dick from Gwinnett in here to fill in for him.
    You are correct. Look at the difference between Adams and Freeman and how it's translated in our win/loss record. Yes, Adams has been a good hitter with the Braves but Freeman was a top 3 hitter in baseball before he got hurt. The real difference between players is a lot less than you would think. The difference between an all-star and an average player is only a couple of wins over the course of a full season. It truly takes a complete team to compete in baseball which is ironic because it's the most individualized of the team sports.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You are correct. Look at the difference between Adams and Freeman and how it's translated in our win/loss record. Yes, Adams has been a good hitter with the Braves but Freeman was a top 3 hitter in baseball before he got hurt. The real difference between players is a lot less than you would think. The difference between an all-star and an average player is only a couple of wins over the course of a full season. It truly takes a complete team to compete in baseball which is ironic because it's the most individualized of the team sports.
    That's why it cracks me up when someone says something stupid like "the difference between a .300 hitter and a .275 hitter is only 1 hit every other week". They don't even know what point they are trying to make when they make those types of statements.

With another LFer the Braves will score less runs, but also give up less runs. Not a super complicated concept to understand.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    It just seems like a personal jab?
    I made an account instead of just continuing to read specifically so I could block his nonsense and pre-teen-like tendencies. I suggest either ignoring him or blocking him. It makes it much nicer around here.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I made an account instead of just continuing to read specifically so I could block his nonsense and pre-teen-like tendencies. I suggest either ignoring him or blocking him. It makes it much nicer around here.
    Who were ya

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2017)