Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talking Chop has completed their midseason prospect rankings

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Coppy has publicly said it never occurred to him to promote Swanson last year. It was all the senior Johns have a senior moment.
    It's like he knew it was a stupid move and wanted to distance himself from it as tactfully as possible.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Why is everyone assuming they promoted Acuna because of his stats? I don't imagine the decision makers here are just looking at stat sheets and deciding what to do. I'm absolutely certain they have things they want Acuna to work on and development they want to see. It's likely they're basing far more on that than they are on his stats with his high babip.

Because it's mostly kids here playing around on their notebooks, wandering around blog sites and message boards all day. They think that's how the real world actually works.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I hope the promotion is based off scouting and not results

You didn't need babip to see Chris Johnson was getting lucky bloop hits

The talking chop guys love Acuna approach. Klaw says it's an immature approach. Tc sees every Acuna at bat but they have more pro atl bias

Based on no info but what I read I think the braves think Acuna is a plus MLB rf now. I'm going to guess they think they can sign him long term bc he only signed for 100 k.

The thing I don't get is the pursuit of a starter if they are going this way. Acuna, Albies Swanson ff inciarte locks down a lot of spots long term. Flowers might be a guy. They seem to love kemp despite all information. So you are talking about a decent team with only 3b being truest open.

Yes pitching needs an upgrade but they have allard soroka and wright who are so close.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I hope the promotion is based off scouting and not results

You didn't need babip to see Chris Johnson was getting lucky bloop hits

The talking chop guys love Acuna approach. Klaw says it's an immature approach. Tc sees every Acuna at bat but they have more pro atl bias

Based on no info but what I read I think the braves think Acuna is a plus MLB rf now. I'm going to guess they think they can sign him long term bc he only signed for 100 k.

The thing I don't get is the pursuit of a starter if they are going this way. Acuna, Albies Swanson ff inciarte locks down a lot of spots long term. Flowers might be a guy. They seem to love kemp despite all information. So you are talking about a decent team with only 3b being truest open.

Yes pitching needs an upgrade but they have allard soroka and wright who are so close.
    Not to mention a bench that has some interesting options long term. Camargo/Santanta/Ruiz/Micah Johnson/catcher

Bullpen is going to have a complete overhaul the next 2 years. Minter/Lindgren/Watts/Clouse and the starters that don't make it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

The options with respect to the starting rotation this year and next:

1) Stay internal: Folty, Teheran, Dickey, Newcomb, one of Wisler/Sims starting the season, with some promising arms in AAA.

2) Acquire a 2-3 win pitcher to go with Folty, Teheran, Dickey and one of Newcomb/Wisler/Sims.

3) Acquire 4+ win pitcher to go with Folty, Teheran, Dickey and of of Newcomb/Wisler/Sims.

I've listed the choices in my order of preference. Options 2 and 3 are not necessarily bad. It depends on the price we pay. A separate question is do we do it at the deadline or the off-season. You pay a bit more of a premium for major league talent at the deadline. The Cubs certainly did for Quintana. There will probably be more options in the off-season. But there is nothing wrong with putting in a bid for someone like Gray right now. I doubt we can get him without overpaying, but it is worth a try. And yes, trading Albies in any deal is something that I think should be avoided.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-15-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-15-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-15-2017), The Chosen One (07-15-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts

1) Stay internal: Folty, Teheran, Dickey, Newcomb, one of Wisler/Sims starting the season, with some promising arms in AAA.

2) Acquire a 2-3 win pitcher to go with Folty, Teheran, Dickey and one of Newcomb/Wisler/Sims.

3) Acquire 4+ win pitcher to go with Folty, Teheran, Dickey and of of Newcomb/Wisler/Sims.

I've listed the choices in my order of preference. Options 2 and 3 are not necessarily bad. It depends on the price we pay. A separate question is do we do it at the deadline or the off-season. You pay a bit more of a premium for major league talent at the deadline. The Cubs certainly did for Quintana. There will probably be more options in the off-season. But there is nothing wrong with putting in a bid for someone like Gray right now. I doubt we can get him without overpaying, but it is worth a try. And yes, trading Albies in any deal is something that I think should be avoided.
    The order pleases me. I have no interest in selling the farm for a 4 win pitcher. If we can trade anyone outside our top 7 to get a 2 WAR pitcher (maybe a buy low guy) then I am fine. Trading any of our top 3 hitters or Soroka/Allard/Wright is not fine in my world.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The order pleases me. I have no interest in selling the farm for a 4 win pitcher. If we can trade anyone outside our top 7 to get a 2 WAR pitcher (maybe a buy low guy) then I am fine. Trading any of our top 3 hitters or Soroka/Allard/Wright is not fine in my world.
    the 4+ war guys are very expensive whether it be on the trade or FA market...mid-market teams like us need to develop them and the chances are good there are a couple on the farm that will turn into those kinds of players...we just don't know right now who they are and have to be careful to hold on to them
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Well not every prospect is gonna pan out, thats just the reality of probability.

The 4 WAR SP would depend who it is. Archer is good but im not sure i'd trade the farm for him.

At some point we'll have to make a big contending move, i dont think it's time to do that right now though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    the 4+ war guys are very expensive whether it be on the trade or FA market...mid-market teams like us need to develop them and the chances are good there are a couple on the farm that will turn into those kinds of players...we just don't know right now who they are and have to be careful to hold on to them
    If you are content not having any 4 WAR pitchers on the team, that seems like the right strategy.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Assuming we can keep the top bats out of the deal, and the overpay in arms isn't drastic, don't you almost have to pull the trigger?

If say Allard, Fried, and one of Wentz/Muller nets Gray with his southern roots is anyone really willing to pass?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Assuming we can keep the top bats out of the deal, and the overpay in arms isn't drastic, don't you almost have to pull the trigger?

If say Allard, Fried, and one of Wentz/Muller nets Gray with his southern roots is anyone really willing to pass?
    I think that's too high for Gray.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-15-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think that's too high for Gray.
    I agree.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What we are learning now is that the buzz with Allard is more than any results. The stuff has taken a big step up not only in command but movement. Even a potential plus change is not out of the question with him. 3 plus pitches from the left side coming in in the mid 90's on a moving fastball is not something you trade.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That's the point - and probably a potential asking price if we're going to get to keep the bats IMO.

And there's no doubt that it would hurt. Given our depth, it wouldn't be crippling IMO - but would definitely hurt.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I'd do Anderson, Fried and Wentz or Muller, i'd like to hang onto Allard.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    That's the point - and probably a potential asking price if we're going to get to keep the bats IMO.

And there's no doubt that it would hurt. Given our depth, it wouldn't be crippling IMO - but would definitely hurt.
    I'd do it for Archer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    If history says there's a 50/50 chance any pitching prospect becomes a legit contributor, I see no problem trading 2 of them for a proven pitcher. Obviously, the timing has to be right though...and it's not currently the right time to shift future wins to present day wins.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-15-2017)