Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Headley is a very mediocre baseball player. So much so that the Yankees just traded for the 3b version of Chris Carter to replace him.
    Mediocre is putting it lightly.

I'm not (and never have been) against "buying" prospects. The problem with adding someone like Headley is that it just continues kicking the can down the road. It's time to start finding out what some of these kids can do so a decision can be made whether or not to move on from them. Everyone here complains (rightfully so) when the brass and/or Fredi and now Snitker plays the guys with big contracts. The surest way to get them to stop doing that is to quit having them around.

If you ever want to know whether Ruiz might eventually be able to play, you have to do just that - play him. Don't give Snitker another option to put in front of him. If you think Andujar could be the long-term guy and you have Headley here to cover 3B in Atlanta next season, where in the *ell are you going to play Ruiz? I certainly don't think he's the answer, but you're sure as *ell not going to get anywhere platooning he and Andujar at 3B in Gwinnett in 2018. If the organization was willing to take the contract back and then instantly DFA Headley (or even do it this winter) so they could see what they've got in these other players, I'd be all for it. The problem is we all know they won't eat that money - look at how long they continued running Big Sexy out there.

Again, I'm more than fine with taking on a bad contract to get Andujar, but upping these "packages" of vets that everyone wants to make to obtain a better prospect has limits. You want me to take on Headley's contract AND give you Garcia or Dickey? I get Andujar. What's that? You want Adams too? OK - I'll be happy to do that AND take Warren's money off your hands. I want one of Tyler Austin, Florial, or Nick Solak.

I'm not asking for their top guys to not only fix their roster AND take care of their accounting problems - these are secondary guys. All the "number-crunchers" need to factor in that we're taking back that bad contract when they decide what FV level prospect we get in return. You want me to eat Headley's contract too? The level of prospect I want in return goes up.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-19-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Mediocre is putting it lightly.

I'm not (and never have been) against "buying" prospects. The problem with adding someone like Headley is that it just continues kicking the can down the road. It's time to start finding out what some of these kids can do so a decision can be made whether or not to move on from them. Everyone here complains (rightfully so) when the brass and/or Fredi and now Snitker plays the guys with big contracts. The surest way to get them to stop doing that is to quit having them around.

If you ever want to know whether Ruiz might eventually be able to play, you have to do just that - play him. Don't give Snitker another option to put in front of him. If you think Andujar could be the long-term guy and you have Headley here to cover 3B in Atlanta next season, where in the *ell are you going to play Ruiz? I certainly don't think he's the answer, but you're sure as *ell not going to get anywhere platooning he and Andujar at 3B in Gwinnett in 2018. If the organization was willing to take the contract back and then instantly DFA Headley (or even do it this winter) so they could see what they've got in these other players, I'd be all for it. The problem is we all know they won't eat that money - look at how long they continued running Big Sexy out there.

Again, I'm more than fine with taking on a bad contract to get Andujar, but upping these "packages" of vets that everyone wants to make to obtain a better prospect has limits. You want me to take on Headley's contract AND give you Garcia or Dickey? I get Andujar. What's that? You want Adams too? OK - I'll be happy to do that AND take Warren's money off your hands. I want one of Tyler Austin, Florial, or Nick Solak.

I'm not asking for their top guys to not only fix their roster AND take care of their accounting problems - these are secondary guys. All the "number-crunchers" need to factor in that we're taking back that bad contract when they decide what FV level prospect we get in return. You want me to eat Headley's contract too? The level of prospect I want in return goes up.
    No one says that you have to ultimately keep Headley. Let's say the Braves get him and Andujar. Andujar goes to AAA or AA whichever seems best at the time. Headley comes over and plays decently well, according to his historic ability. For the sake of argument, let's say he plays on an annualized 2 WAR basis for the rest of 2017. The Braves could then offer him around in the offseason, maybe even eating some of the contract to get a better return when he's traded (won't be much but better than nothing) - let's say the Braves trade him to ...the Mets for the equivalence of Akeel Morris, a relief pitcher two to three years away, and they have to eat $3M of the salary. Then you give Ruiz the first couple of months in the ML to see what you have giving you time to play Andujar at AAA for at least the first few months of 2018 thereby saving his clock. OR you let Headley and Ruiz compete for the job in ST and let one start while the other is on the bench, all while Andujar is at AAA.

Or you can spend $25M per year on Moustakas or $15M per year on Frazier as FA in the offseason.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    I'm really getting tired of having to say this in it seems like every thread. Stop the back and forth nonsense.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

Chico (07-20-2017)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    In this case yes, because Doolittle will likely be injured and won't pitch much.

Or how about one based around what I said about Khanle?

He is currently posting a 1.6 xFIP. His career mark is 3.6. Splitting the difference is 2.6, so that will be the over/under.

How about a bet where I say Kahnle is closer to 3.6, meaning 2.6+, and you say he is closer to 1.6, meaning under 1.6? What do you want the time frame to be? End of 2018 again?

Let me guess, more backpedaling from you...

This would be stupid. It would be a bet that Kahnle would be one of the best 10 relievers in baseball. Who has said he is? How about:

Kahnle ~3.0 xFIP
    Treinen vs. Doolittle lower xFIP
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Or you can spend $25M per year on Moustakas or $15M per year on Frazier as FA in the offseason.
    For me this is the key. We have to avoid paying 30something players market rates on contracts running 4 or more years. That should be the #1 commandment on the front office's "thou shalt not" list.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This would be stupid. It would be a bet that Kahnle would be one of the best 10 relievers in baseball. Who has said he is? How about:

Kahnle ~3.0 xFIP
    Treinen vs. Doolittle lower xFIP
    I already explained Doolittle is likely to get hurt, so a rate stat bet makes no sense unless an innings total is also included. Treinen better xFIP than Doolittle, and Doolittle pitches 60+ innings next year.

That Kahnle xFIP is silly. A 3 xFIP is not elite.
    Over/under 2.6 xFIP and 60+ innings next year is the bet. You claim he is elite. Is he elite, or is he not elite?

Don't backpedal now...were are almost there!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    For me this is the key. We have to avoid paying 30something players market rates on contracts running 4 or more years. That should be the #1 commandment on the front office's "thou shalt not" list.
    exactly. And the method behind my madness.

If you want to take a flyer on a Terry Pendelton or Mark Liebrandt type guy as filler for short term holes then fine, do so. You might even get lucky and get a MVP type season out of one (even if Bonds was more deserving). But, unless you are going to break down and add a FoF type player to sell tickets like a Harper, Machado, etc. then signing 30 YO veterans who will be paid for past performance is less than optimal.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I already explained Doolittle is likely to get hurt, so a rate stat bet makes no sense unless an innings total is also included. Treinen better xFIP than Doolittle, and Doolittle pitches 60+ innings next year.

That Kahnle xFIP is silly. A 3 xFIP is not elite.
    Over/under 2.6 xFIP and 60+ innings next year is the bet. You claim he is elite. Is he elite, or is he not elite?

Don't backpedal now...were are almost there!
    Can you go back and show where I said he was elite or is your comprehension failing again? A 3 xFIP is top 20 for qualified relievers; call it whatever you would like to call it. Now Kahnle has to throw 60 innings!

Good grief, you put so many qualifiers in your "bet." I should not be wasting my time with this or you. Just sit back and laugh.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Can you go back and show where I said he was elite or is your comprehension failing again? A 3 xFIP is top 20 for qualified relievers; call it whatever you would like to call it. Now Kahnle has to throw 60 innings!

Good grief, you put so many qualifiers in your "bet." I should not be wasting my time with this or you. Just sit back and laugh.
    LOL so your hot take is that Kahnle improved from 3.6 to 3.0? Wow! That's an amazing revelation!

Allow me to rehash our exchange for you:

I said, "A lot of folks are over rating Kahnle. They seem to weigh the 30 amazing innings this year more heavily than the 120 mediocre innings he posted before that."

You quoted me and disagreed by saying, "Kahnle has always had talent, but the White Sox identified a flaw in his mechanics allowing him to throw more strikes as well as helping him with his change up that has been lights out".

That is you directly contradicting my statement that he is not as elite as his work this season would indicate. Further, it implies you think the improvements are real, and will carry into the future.

If you don't think he is elite, then why did you bother to attempt to contradict me?

So I ask you, is he elite or not? If he isn't elite, why did you feel the need to argue with me?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Agree with what you said about our pieces not being elite, but the SP market is very weak right now. The Giants pitchers are expensive and/or are a mess. Padres have Clayton Richard. Tigers would ship Verlander at a price nobody will be wanting to pay. Sonny Gray. Who else? Not a whole lot out there. The Rangers don't know what they are doing. It's basically Gray and a bunch of below average pitchers.

If there was ever a time to trade Garcia or Dickey, it's now. Won't ever get a higher return for them.
    The SP market is not that weak. Here is a good break down of the available rental arms:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...l-starter.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I woulnd't hesitate to hold if there's not much of a market (and I don't expect there to be much of one).

Last edited by dak; 07-19-2017 at 06:25 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-19-2017), jpx7 (07-19-2017), Tapate50 (07-19-2017), UNCBlue012 (07-20-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I woulnd't hesitate to hold if there's not much of a market (and I don't expect there to be much of one).

Probably for the best. Hopefully there's a better market for him in the offseason.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The SP market is not that weak. Here is a good break down of the available rental arms:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...l-starter.html
    Are those t*rds sinkers, floaters, or a combination?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-19-2017), PurpleBrave (07-19-2017)

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    When the market is headlined by Francisco liriano and Trevor Cahill, its weak. Marco Estrada would be alright but he's been a mess the past 2 months

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    And JD Martinez was just beaned in the head.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I'm really getting tired of having to say this in it seems like every thread. Stop the back and forth nonsense.

I'm assure you it won't stop. Wanna make a bet on it? Loser leaves the board FOREVER!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-19-2017), Tapate50 (07-19-2017), UNCBlue012 (07-20-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    When the market is headlined by Francisco liriano and Trevor Cahill, its weak. Marco Estrada would be alright but he's been a mess the past 2 months
    Of all the guys on the list, Estrada is one who could really flourish in a two-month stint. He gets it going and he's tough. All the others are hit-or-miss.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Compared to Jaime Garcia, its pretty strong. You were claiming Garcias value was high because they aren't any better options....there are plenty of better options.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Mariners are close to acquiring a reliever. Here's hoping it's JJ or Vizcaino.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Compared to Jaime Garcia, its pretty strong. You were claiming Garcias value was high because they aren't any better options....there are plenty of better options.
    It would all depend on acquisition costs, but of the guys on that list, I would put Garcia third behind Estrada (1) and Hellickson (2) in terms of potential usefulness for a contender down the stretch. Sure, Liriano could be lightning in a bottle for a couple of months (and maybe he is a guy who simply loses focus when playing for a bad team), but he's been terrible this year.

We're talking about a set of 5th starters, so the return on any of these guys will be minimal. The team that is most satisfied obtaining a marginal prospect will be the team that unloads one of the guys on the list.