Page 98 of 141 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    IMO they should. If the market dries up on him then you pounce. If the As would be considering anything from the Mariners then we should be able to get him low.

I wouldn't give up Albies, Acuna, Maitan, Allard, Soroka or Wright. I wouldn't want to move Gohara but I might. I worry he won't sign long term b/c he has a father son relationship with the Brewers pitching coach. I'd trade Allard or Soroka if he'd sign a team friendly extension with lots of team options (he wont).

But the As might not do better than Anderson + some stuff. IF they are dumb enough to force a trade now then maybe we can win with that.
    I would offer Allard and Pache

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I would offer Allard and Pache
    I could live with that for Gray, though Coppy will have to kick in some more MLB-ready stuff Beane seems to over value...like DPete and Rio.

My contention with acquiring Gray is that now the Braves assume his injury risk for the rest of 2017...when they aren't contending.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd be ok with Gray but depends on the cost to get him and if he'd sign an extension.

I'd try to hold onto Gohara, Wright, Soroka, and our big 3 hitting prospects. Allard or Anderson i'd put in among others.

And we'd have to make some more moves this winter or it would make no sense.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    @mlbbowman
    The Braves are still in on Sonny Gray and other controllable frontline starting pitchers

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    @mlbbowman
    The Braves are still in on Sonny Gray and other controllable frontline starting pitchers
    I still get the HO vibe on this. It is like an obsession with 'trade FOR a young controllable front line starter'. I just picture a crazed looking Coppi pushing in all his chips at the poker table because there is a possible inside straight on the river. He wants it so bad, he will give up everything to get it. Now I am being a bit dramatic.. but it really does worry me.
    Coppy

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (07-24-2017), Garmel (07-24-2017), Hawk (07-24-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I dont think we'd trade 2 of our top 6 for Gray.

We need some impact hitting especially with Swanson struggling but it is concerning and i dont think the time is right now to do it.

I think it would cost something like Anderson/Allard, Muller/Wentz, TD, and Wisler/Sims/Blair for Gray which is alot but wouldnt gut our system by any means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I still get the HO vibe on this. It is like an obsession with 'trade FOR a young controllable front line starter'. I just picture a crazed looking Coppi pushing in all his chips at the poker table because there is a possible inside straight on the river. He wants it so bad, he will give up everything to get it. Now I am being a bit dramatic.. but it really does worry me.
    No. You're not alone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It's probably illustrative to do the Gray valuation again. I can't remember where I posted it before, so I'll try to replicate it.

Gray is projected to produce 1.1 fWAR at a cost of $1.2M for the rest of this season. Multiplying by a 2x contender's premium, that's about $20M in surplus value just for this year.

Gray will probably earn ~$15M in his final 2 years of arbitration, and is probably projected to produce ~6 WAR over that time. That's a surplus value of about $45M over the next 2 years with limited downside risk due to the fact he can simply be non-tendered.

So how do the Braves get to $65M in surplus value to get him right now? Here's the updated values of the Braves Top 100 prospects:

Wright $32.10
    Acuna $69.67
    Albies $45.34
    Soroka $32.56
    Allard $30.72
    Gohara $15.20
    Anderson $17.03
    Maitan $20.82

Plus Pache and Waters in the $15M+ range each.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    The biggest glimmer of hope I can offer is that the A's tend to over-value guys that are MLB-ready. I bet they would have LOVED Mallex as part of a Gray package (as did the Rays).

If Coppy can get Gray for a ****-sandwich of guys like Wisler, Blair, Sims, Newk, DPete, Rio, JPete etc being used to take up about half of Gray's $65M in surplus value, he might be able to get him for something like Allard plus 3-4 of those MLB-ready guys.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's probably illustrative to do the Gray valuation again. I can't remember where I posted it before, so I'll try to replicate it.

Gray is projected to produce 1.1 fWAR at a cost of $1.2M for the rest of this season. Multiplying by a 2x contender's premium, that's about $20M in surplus value just for this year.

Gray will probably earn ~$15M in his final 2 years of arbitration, and is probably projected to produce ~6 WAR over that time. That's a surplus value of about $45M over the next 2 years with limited downside risk due to the fact he can simply be non-tendered.

So how do the Braves get to $65M in surplus value to get him right now? Here's the updated values of the Braves Top 100 prospects:

Wright $32.10
    Acuna $69.67
    Albies $45.34
    Soroka $32.56
    Allard $30.72
    Gohara $15.20
    Anderson $17.03
    Maitan $20.82

You might as well be speaking Greek with this stuff. Why do we multiply by 2 for a contender's premium? Where would you suggest I read to learn more about surplus value?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    I would trade Allard, btw.

The scouts I've talked to are not fans.

Just no to any top position players.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If we had to trade one of our prized pitchers, i'd trade Allard.

Cant hang onto everyone, and Gohara has passed him, and Wentz might this time next year as well as having Anderson, Soroka, Wright, and Gohara.

But i'd hold onto our big 3 hitting prospects, we dont have the hitting prospects to survive that loss in a trade.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd offer something like Allard, Muller, TD, and Wisler/Sims/Blair (A's choice)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts

Wright $32.10
    Acuna $69.67
    Albies $45.34
    Soroka $32.56
    Allard $30.72
    Gohara $15.20
    Anderson $17.03
    Maitan $20.82

Just out of curiosity why is Gohara's projected surplus value half as much as Allard and Soroka's? I figured his impressive year thus far along with his stuff would have his value shooting up.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    @ChrisCotillo
    Source confirms: Padres trading Brandon Maurer, Ryan Buchter and Trevor Cahill to Royals. @RobertMurrayFRS first.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    You might as well be speaking Greek with this stuff. Why do we multiply by 2 for a contender's premium? Where would you suggest I read to learn more about surplus value?
    The general premise is a guy's surplus value is the WAR he is projected to produce times $10M (because that's what 1 WAR costs on the FA market right now), and then subtracting what he is actually going be be paid. The linchpin of the theory is that a guy who just signed a FA contract has, by definition, zero surplus value...otherwise another team would have offered to pay him more. Guys in their arb or pre-arb years are being paid much less than they would make on the FA market, so they tend to have large surplus values.

The contender's premium is a term describing that a team who knows (or thinks they know) they will be contending for a playoff spot will pay more to acquire wins (and performance in the postseason) than non-contenders or teams that don't know they are contenders (as is the case very early in the season). That value is typically estimated as 2x the players surplus value for the rest of the current season.

The surplus values for prospects is summarized here:

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...dated-edition/

The general idea is that over the last 25+ years, prospects ranked at various levels ultimately produced an average surplus value that allows us to calculate what the surplus value is likely to be for current prospects.

This model of surplus values has proven accurate on every major trade in the last decade (including recent trades like Eaton and Sale and Q and Garcia) except the Miller/Swanson/Inciarte debacle, and the Torres/Chapman trade. The inability for Stewart to properly value these assets is the primary reason he is no longer employed by the DBacks. The Cubs supposedly assigned such a huge postseason win-share to Chapman that it somehow made him worth Torres in their view...and prompted the Yankees to sell both him and Miller.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-24-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    The biggest glimmer of hope I can offer is that the A's tend to over-value guys that are MLB-ready.

If Coppy can get Gray for a ****-sandwich of guys like Wisler, Blair, Sims, Newk, DPete, Rio, JPete etc being used to take up about half of Gray's $65M in surplus value, he might be able to get him for something like Allard plus 3-4 of those MLB-ready guys.
    I was thinking that a package of Allard, Newcomb/Sims, Wisler/Blair, and Dustin Peterson would be the minimum to get it done. Realistically, they'd probably want two A+ prospects though, so we'd also have to include an Albies or Acuna in some form or fashion.

If that is the asking price, I'd steer clear of trading any of our A+ positional talent, as they're currently at a premium for our organization. I think you have to deal from a position of strength, and if they want two top prospects then you have to see if they'll take an Allard and Gohara/Soroka/Wright instead.

I honestly probably wouldn't do any of those, at least right now.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    I would trade Allard, btw.

The scouts I've talked to are not fans.
    What did they say?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Just out of curiosity why is Gohara's projected surplus value half as much as Allard and Soroka's? I figured his impressive year thus far along with his stuff would have his value shooting up.
    His prospect ranking is less than those guys. I think he is more valuable than Anderson, and close to as valuable as Allard. I think Soroka is clearly more valuable than both.

However, I can't very well pull data and then inject my own biases into it. That defeats the whole purpose of analyzing the data.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Ozzie Swanson (07-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    What did they say?
    Too small and no out pitch. Also concerns about velocity.