Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian McCann

Arizona Fall Leaguer Tino25Dynasty's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    BJ's contract has nothing to do with this, quit bitching.

They could of kept him if they wanted too but they didnt make much effort to sign him.
    They didn't want to tie themselves up with another Uggla or BJ contract so were much less aggressive in signing McCann so yes, you better believe that BJ contact played a part... No directly obviously but indirectly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tino25Dynasty For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-24-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tino25Dynasty View Post
    They didn't want to tie themselves up with another Uggla or BJ contract so were much less aggressive in signing McCann so yes, you better believe that BJ contact played a part... No directly obviously but indirectly.
    Uggla's contract is off the books in 2 years.

Again, BJ's deal has NOTHING to do with Mac.

If they wanted him, they would of offered him a big deal and tried to bring him back which they didn't.

The BJ/Uggla deals have no impact on Mac, the writing has been on the wall for the last 2 years.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    What are you guys debating about?

They wouldn't have minded having McCann back, but not on a 5-year deal. We've been discussing the "aging catcher" issue enough here already. It was little doubt that he was going to head over the AL, where he could eventually DH in the latter years of the contract.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (11-24-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Mac has also been unlucky in BABIP so that's why his batting average has been down. His homerun rate has stayed pretty consistent which obviously isn't influenced by BABIP. As for playing with the Yankees. I see him getting to 30 homers easily due to the fact that Yankee Stadium is a homerun haven for lefties and Mac will be able to DH when he's not catching so he should get more ABs now.
    But why has he been unlucky with BABIP? It's because since they employed the shift on him, it takes away a lot of balls that would be hits. I don't think that's factored in when you look at BABIP.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Liberty is thrifty, but not cheap.
    Given most of Wren's free agent signings, I'd say the team has been anything but thrifty. Wren's been buying what they sell at the dollar store for twice/three times the price.

It's their team. They can do what they want. To me, outside of the big contracts we've doled out, we're starting to look like the late-90s/early-00s A's teams in that we're just training players for other markets. That can work if you have a steady stream of replacements and that's what we'll have to rely upon.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-24-2013), Metaphysicist (11-25-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Given most of Wren's free agent signings, I'd say the team has been anything but thrifty. Wren's been buying what they sell at the dollar store for twice/three times the price.

It's their team. They can do what they want. To me, outside of the big contracts we've doled out, we're starting to look like the late-90s/early-00s A's teams in that we're just training players for other markets. That can work if you have a steady stream of replacements and that's what we'll have to rely upon.
    Hopefully now with all the slotting rules for both the first year player draft and international market that teams like hte Braves can continue to build the right way.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Thrifty in the sense that they spend their money carefully. But that doesn't mean it isn't there for spending.

Yes, Wren has overpaid, but not exorbitantly relative to market value. The Phillies offered 5/55 for Upton with no-trade and escalation clauses. The Mets reportedly offered 3/36 for Lowe. The Uggla extension had the potential to be decent (and even in its current state isn't exactly blunting us into oblivion.)

Compared to how other teams are spending their money these days, I'm pretty content.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-24-2013)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But why has he been unlucky with BABIP? It's because since they employed the shift on him, it takes away a lot of balls that would be hits. I don't think that's factored in when you look at BABIP.
    They have been shifting on Mac far longer then two years. So I don't think that is the reason or it would have been there from the start. Why are players sometimes unlucky? Who knows. It's why it's called luck. **** happens.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (11-24-2013), Dalyn (11-24-2013), Mrs. Meta (11-24-2013)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I have no problem with McCann's decision. All of us do what is best for our family, he is no different. If the Braves could not give him the security he felt he needed, then so be it. I am actually glad he chose the Yankees if he was leaving. I still prefer the Yankees in the American League.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogi44 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-24-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. The NY media and Yankee fan base is extremely fanatical. If Macc goes on his patten month long struggles in NY, they will let him hear it and it will weigh on him. I don't think he's ever been booed in Atl. Hell, the yanks booed jester when he went on his career worse 0-22 a few years ago.

Great choice in not resigning him. People tend to think as a fan first as opposed to economics and talent. Macc leaving will not hurt us as much as you think. Let him get booed for not bunting for a hit when AL teams employ the big shift on him.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Best of luck to Mac, but **** the Yankees.

And again I say it. This team needs to spend some goddamn money now that Mac and Hudson are off the books.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Good for him. Wish him nothing but the best. Just thought the price was too great for us for an aging, injury prone C when we need to lock down Heyward & Freeman...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    LOL if you think he signed with the Yanks for any reason other than the money. He was going to play with the team that gave him the most money. It's all he cared about, hence the reason why him and his agent came out and said they wanted a $100 million contract. I have no respect for him or any other players with that mindset. They don't need the money to make ends meet, they just want to be the highest paid player at their position. It's all about pride and ego with profresional athletes these days.

Only someone sad and jealous would actually believe this. Pretty clear to see the Braves were not interested in re-signing him. If you want to be mad at someone, be bad at ownership. They are willing to give the bum BJ Upton 5/75 as a FA but they aren't willing to give that same contract to a guy that actually deserves it. A guy that has already taken a team friendly deal once before.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves had no realistic options in CF that they wanted to utilize (moving Heyward to CF). Braves have two catching options behind Mac and paying 30+ year old catchers is never a goodt hing.
    Accept that Mac is not some average catcher. We're talking about a pretty fantastic hitter on a HOF path.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Best of luck to Mac, but **** the Yankees.

And again I say it. This team needs to spend some goddamn money now that Mac and Hudson are off the books.
    Not a whole lot out there to buy, and we don't have wise spending habits when we do go shopping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    It was a foregone conclusion that Mac had to go to the AL to prolong his career. He hasn't exactly kept himself in the best shape, and injuries were piling up. At the end of his contract, I'm not so sure he'll be a full time catcher anymore, and we didn't have the option to risk that in the NL.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    With Hudson vacating, BMac leaving, Heyward's "curious" tweet about BMac's new deal, etc., I guess it will be quite a while until another player's number is retired to the outfield wall. Wonder if I'll even see it happen during the rest of my lifetime?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    With Hudson vacating, BMac leaving, Heyward's "curious" tweet about BMac's new deal, etc., I guess it will be quite a while until another player's number is retired to the outfield wall. Wonder if I'll even see it happen during the rest of my lifetime?
    Even before the Heyward tweet, there were already rumblings he would not be willing to accept a discounted extension, and was looking to go to free agency.

Our best bet is to try and lock up players like Freeman/Simmons. We should be looking to structure our contracts like the Rays did with Longoria. They have him locked up until he turns 37 and the rates are pretty reasonable.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi44 View Post
    I have no problem with McCann's decision. All of us do what is best for our family, he is no different. If the Braves could not give him the security he felt he needed, then so be it. I am actually glad he chose the Yankees if he was leaving. I still prefer the Yankees in the American League.
    Agreed. No need to "preach", but Mac deserved the money, and it's not like Wren & Company simply told him to "move on" - the rumors I heard over the weekend all said that they were still talking to B. B. (Abbott) as late as Friday. We have much cheaper "replacements" who are better risks that won't leave us with a huge hole behind the plate moving forward and the organization is simply better off investing those $$$ in other spots.

Anyone that whines about Mac not being a Brave for the next 5 years isn't thinking very clearly - it wasn't that long ago that there were plenty of people screaming about how stupid we were for giving Chipper his last extension with Prado waiting in the wings and that his money would've been better served upgrading other areas and handing the reigns to Martin. As a Chipper fan I didn't like it, but they were right back then and this was the right move now. Tying up $14+ million/year in a guy that will be a drag on payroll for 60 (or more) games every year is simply "bad business" - regardless of who that player is.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?