Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our farm system is truly ridiculous...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    We have an extremely deep farm, but he's correct in that we don't have franchise changing prospects at this time. With the amount of prospects we have, certainly it is possible for a couple to stand up and make that case though.

However, saying we have several guys that could be top of the rotation aces is an overstatement. You are claiming we have several guys that could essentially be the best pitcher in baseball.
    We do. I'd put Kolby Allard, Ian Anderson, Joey Wentz, and Kyle Muller up against anyone else's top pitching talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    We have an extremely deep farm, but he's correct in that we don't have franchise changing prospects at this time. With the amount of prospects we have, certainly it is possible for a couple to stand up and make that case though.

However, saying we have several guys that could be top of the rotation aces is an overstatement. You are claiming we have several guys that could essentially be the best pitcher in baseball.
    You can't say a prospect is a franchise changing prospect until they actually get into the majors and perform. But we have a ton of high ceiling prospects. Including a number of pitchers with TOR/ace ceilings. You can't even call the best prospects in baseball franchise changing players until they actually do it in the majors... plenty of can't misses have failed.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    We do. I'd put Kolby Allard, Ian Anderson, Joey Wentz, and Kyle Muller up against anyone else's top pitching talent.
    And you are absolutely bat**** crazy. So you are claiming a 2nd round pick from 2 months ago is on the talent level of guys that are the best pitchers in the game?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    And you are absolutely bat**** crazy. So you are claiming a 2nd round pick from 2 months ago is on the talent level of guys that are the best pitchers in the game?
    You're really bad with the whole ceiling thing

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You're really bad with the whole ceiling thing
    If people expected Wentz and Muller to have ceilings of Jose Fernandez, where do you think they would be drafted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Cough Sororka cough
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    We may not have a potential Bryce Harper, Jose Fernandez or Mike Trout, but I think it's fair to say that we have several guys who could be a Larkin, Altuve or Bumgarner. That's a pretty high ceiling, just not the elite of the elite ceiling.
    thank you weso1!

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    We may not have a potential Bryce Harper, Jose Fernandez or Mike Trout, but I think it's fair to say that we have several guys who could be a Larkin, Altuve or Bumgarner. That's a pretty high ceiling, just not the elite of the elite ceiling.
    Yep, thats how I read it. A lot of very good players that could be assets to the organization.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Wait...you mean we will have players that we can actually "sign" and keep?? Crazy...I want a guy for a few years that will automatically ask for a 500 mil contract and then go to the Yankees!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    If people expected Wentz and Muller to have ceilings of Jose Fernandez, where do you think they would be drafted?
    No body said these guys will be Jose Fernandez... just that they have the ceilings to be aces, whether they make it there or not... there is superstar potential

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    14th? BA projected Fernandez to be drafted 24th, so anywhere mid to late first round.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Hardcore homers have a tough time seeing the sky much less the ceiling

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Yep, thats how I read it. A lot of very good players that could be assets to the organization.
    I don't know. I don't see anyone that I expect to put up a .800 OPS much less a .825 to .850 OPS.

I don't see any pitchers that I expect to be dominant starters w/i 3 years of the big leagues. I love the young HS arms we have, but they are 4-5 years away and a lot can change. It's hard for me to count on that. Newcombe could be that guy. Folty could be that guy. I just doubt it.

I not talking about super stars so much as a lack of really impact guys. I see a lot of good to very good players. But not any 3-5 hitters or pitchers who you feel great about starting in a short series before 2020.

And for ML talent under 30 we have FF and unfortunately for us he's a 1B. Tehran we talk about to death. Then we again have some good players, but not guys that move the needle. And teams in our division have those guys and likely for a long time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Wentz has literally been compared to Hamels by several people. Not sure what kind of dumb point you're trying to make, but plenty of scouting reports say that each one of those guys has TOR potential.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I don't know. I don't see anyone that I expect to put up a .800 OPS much less a .825 to .850 OPS.

I don't see any pitchers that I expect to be dominant starters w/i 3 years of the big leagues. I love the young HS arms we have, but they are 4-5 years away and a lot can change. It's hard for me to count on that. Newcombe could be that guy. Folty could be that guy. I just doubt it.

I not talking about super stars so much as a lack of really impact guys. I see a lot of good to very good players. But not any 3-5 hitters or pitchers who you feel great about starting in a short series before 2020.

And for ML talent under 30 we have FF and unfortunately for us he's a 1B. Tehran we talk about to death. Then we again have some good players, but not guys that move the needle. And teams in our division have those guys and likely for a long time.
    Swanson and Ozzie both should be expected to be .800 OPS players. They aren't some glove first players with a projectable bat. Both guys have very good hit tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Wentz has literally been compared to Hamels by several people. Not sure what kind of dumb point you're trying to make, but plenty of scouting reports say that each one of those guys has TOR potential.
    Some of us agree with you, others don't. I agree. I think the potential on these guys are great, and scouts agree with the assessment. Doesn't matter - people want to be a dick and argue just because.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    No doubt that is true, but there have been hundreds of pitchers throughout the years that have been dubbed as TOR type pitchers that flamed out or didn't amount to anything due to one reason or another. It's hard to say. Certainly we have the numbers which makes our odds much greater of actually getting an ace out of that group, but let's face reality, a half decade from now I don't anticipate a rotation of Kershaw, Cole, Mussina, Brown, and Smoltz headlining our rotation, it would be nice if it would but chances are that won't happen.

Remember in the 1990's how the Met's big 3 of Wilson, Isringhausen, and Pulsipher we're the next big thing and we're to put them on par with our big 3? How did that work out, only one had a decent career and it ended up being as a reliever at the end of his career (Isringhausen).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Then it's a good thing we aren't reliant on only 3 good pitching prospects.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Swanson and Ozzie both should be expected to be .800 OPS players. They aren't some glove first players with a projectable bat. Both guys have very good hit tools.
    we are talking about calling them up next year. Swanson isn't do 800 in AA.

Albies at AAA worried me.

I think eventually a 22+ y/o Albies will be a good chance at .800. Maybe Swanson too. But I don't see 850 for Swanson. I'm not sure I see it for Albies but I hope so.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    While I think Dansby will be a great major leaguer I tend to think Ozzie will be the better MLB player..At some point you have to just look at the numbers and he's by far ahead of where Dansby is.Thats not to say I don't think he could end up having a better career..I just think Albies will hit in the majors like he has in the minors.
    Considering Ozzie is three years younger than Swanson, and outperforming him signficantly, I don't see why more folks don't agree with you. There is something to be said for tools, but also for performance. I realize that great players that weren't on the radar as potentially such are kind of rare, but how do you think Pete Rose would have been projected? How was Mike Piazza projected? Trout was drafted lower than Heyward and several folks from the same draft that have never sniffed the majors.

I realize that the Heyward argument works both ways, as he outperformed Ozzie at essenially the same age at the same level, but the way things pan out, there's no reason to assume that Ozzie won't possibly be a star or even super star player. (I am putting Altuve at the lower end of superstardom.) Three years ago, who would have not laughed at the suggestion that Altuve would be who he today?