Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Winter Meetings Predictions, Rumors, And Actual Happenings

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    It is still pretty early in the offseason. How early?

Leonys Martin is the top Non-catching free agent hitter to sign (Castillo and Ianetta also signed)
    Tyler Chatwood, Doug Fister, and Mike Mikolas are the only starting pitchers who will actually start in 2018 to sign.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    It is still pretty early in the offseason. How early?

Leonys Martin is the top Non-catching free agent hitter to sign (Castillo and Ianetta also signed)
    Tyler Chatwood, Doug Fister, and Mike Mikolas are the only starting pitchers who will actually start in 2018 to sign.
    How many players left are realistic targets for the Braves?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't think this is true at all.

The Cards were going to assume about $235M of Stanton's contract and send a pretty underwhelming group of prospects. Assuming the $60M the Marlins were going to eat would be due only if Stanton opted in (consistent with the $30M paid to the Yankees), Stanton's contract would have broken down as:

2018: $25M
    2019: $26M
    2020: $26M (opt out/in)
    2021-2027: ~$20M

If the Braves young pitchers had not completely crapped the bed in 2016 and 2017, the Braves would be in position to potentially add that kind of contract with a $130M payroll in 2018 that should be rising.

Stanton almost certainly wouldn't have agreed to a trade to the Braves, but to say there was no way the Braves would never have been in on him is completely wrong.
    I've always worked off the premise of can it be done when it comes to Stanton, not should it be done.

It appeared to me back in mid-season when (at least for me) there was a likelihood of a payroll increase from 2017-2018 and that the Braves would be looking to make a splash move to energize the masses for the new park. Trading for a Mike Archer doesn't do that because how many of your casual fans know who Archer is? Same for signing MM. But, if you trade for the guy who's on Sports Center hitting 500 foot HR every night that's different.

I think Stanton could have been an option until, like you said, the young pitchers crapped the bed in 16 and 17 but ALSO when it became clear to ownership that they had a group of bumbling idiots running the show which IMO was well in advance of HartCoppy Gate, probably about the All Star Break.

Let's spin reality a minute and say that Teheran stayed a solid 2-3, Folty developed into a reliable 2 with at least some hope of moving to a 1, Blair and Wisler at least showed that they were good back end starters and one of Gohara, Sims or Fried had burst on the scene looking good. The offense is similar to what it currently is with Freeman (LH power hitter) and Inciarte and Albies at 1,2. Then from the Braves stand point you can see how Stanton makes sense.

Also, given the better tax situation of living in Atlanta vs NYC and the fact that Atlanta is selling Stanton on the idea that they are entering their window, I think it really possible that instead of 4 teams there would have been 5.

Remember, I'm not saying it was the right move. I'm saying it looked like a move that they were setting up to do.

But the Braves killed any hope of that (and maybe for the best) through their own ineptitude.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    How many players left are realistic targets for the Braves?
    Not many. I still think any improvements we make or via trade. That trade market may take longer if nobody is signing free agents though.

Of the Free agents left I think realistic ones are Frazier, Cosart, and Walker for 3B. I think Dyson could be a play for 4th OF'er pending what else we do with the OF. Brett Anderson, Jaime Garcia, and Chris Tillman could be 1 year vets. On the relief market I could see Tony Watson or Peter Moylan.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Braves gonna brave.
    I thought they were supposed to be ready for glory by 2018?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Not many. I still think any improvements we make or via trade. That trade market may take longer if nobody is signing free agents though.

Of the Free agents left I think realistic ones are Frazier, Cosart, and Walker for 3B. I think Dyson could be a play for 4th OF'er pending what else we do with the OF. Brett Anderson, Jaime Garcia, and Chris Tillman could be 1 year vets. On the relief market I could see Tony Watson or Peter Moylan.
    And how do those options get the Braves to a $130M payroll?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    And how do those options get the Braves to a $130M payroll?
    Come on man. You know I just said that I think any major adds coming via trade. I’m not going to add up numbers on prospective free agents to argue payroll

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Astros get Joe Smith for 2/15. He's the last of the 4 BP I wanted.

That's a lot of coin for a set up guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

I am glad the Braves passed on him at that price. He may have cost us even more too.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Braves gonna brave.
    I thought they were supposed to be ready for glory by 2018?
    We need more prospects first.
    Coppy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-14-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

That’s crazy. I remember thinking Brett Cecil’s contract was crazy. They’re getting out of control now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Braves need to work on developing reliable relievers internally. Closers have always been overpaid relative to others and now it's seeping into setup guys. Not something the Braves need to invest money in going forward.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-14-2017), Braves1976 (12-14-2017), Hawk (12-14-2017), jpx7 (12-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Braves need to work on developing reliable relievers internally. Closers have always been overpaid relative to others and now it's seeping into setup guys. Not something the Braves need to invest money in going forward.
    Yeah folks mock getting so many pitchers but they often get overpaid vs position players in FA. Wise not to have to spend big money to fill BP IMO.
    Ivermectin Man

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-14-2017), Hawk (12-14-2017), Super (12-15-2017), UNCBlue012 (12-15-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Yeah folks mock getting so many pitchers but they often get overpaid vs position players in FA. Wise not to have to spend big money to fill BP IMO.
    One of the biggest problems I've always had with the organization. I completely understand wanting to give guys every chance you can to eventually become starters, but now that the game's evolving and shutdown setup guys are getting the money they arguably deserve the ability to develop shut down pens without paying market value for those guys. At this rate you're going to find guys that can get through an order twice suddenly become cheap comparatively. Teams will have a #1 and #2 (and the teams deep in pitching might have a #3) who you trust to go as deep as the 6th and 7th innings. JMO, but when you get guys like Touki, Weigel, Bryse Wilson, even Folty earlier on that reach AA and have wipeout stuff but haven't shown your own scouts and brass that they're very close to making the necessary adjustments to throw that third pitch (or consistently get hitters out with two dominant offerings), it's time to transition them. I'm all for giving someone that has two dominant offerings as good as Folty's , Newcomb's, Gohara's, and Touki's a shot, but you need to do so with the understanding that their leash is short. As others have consistently pointed out, their control and/or command isn't likely to improve by leaps and bounds when they start seeing far more advanced hitters than they see by the time they've seen after a year at Mississippi. A few with the absolute best stuff - that can at least locate those two dominant offerings very well COULD make it. If they're not doing so by the time they've had 20-30 starts at this level, it's time to move on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Yankees and Pirates talking Gerrit Cole for a package of Frazier plus... I know Cole has been better for the most part, but they are very similar as they have both struggled lately and I think Cole is more of an injury risk. Plus Julio is under contract for longer and its team friendly if I remember correctly. I hope we are at least dangling him in front of the Yankees.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yankees and Pirates talking Gerrit Cole for a package of Frazier plus... I know Cole has been better for the most part, but they are very similar as they have both struggled lately and I think Cole is more of an injury risk. Plus Julio is under contract for longer and its team friendly if I remember correctly. I hope we are at least dangling him in front of the Yankees.
    Would Julio and Muller be enough for Frazier? Would we need to add someone like Sanchez or Viz?
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we could trade Teheran for Frazier somehow then I’d turn around and use Frazier in a deal for Yellich.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Actually, looking at Frazier's minor league numbers, he was much more underwhelming that I had in my head. Must have stayed consistently high ranked since he was a top 5 pick, never did terrible, but still has all the sick tools that just haven't come together yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Frazier is career .806 milb ops (1883 ABs). Gotta figure that will drop in mlb... why is he such a hot name? Would we really have to give more than Julio?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I've never been particularly impressed with Frazier. Seems a lot like Adam Eaton but without the defensive chops. I get that we need good players regardless and he should easily be an upgrade over Kemp/Neck, but I guess I'm just not that enamored with him as a LF option and would prefer a better option if we're actively looking to trade for an OFer.