Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Matt Kemp to Dodgers!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I had in mind Smith platooning with Adams or Garcia in left...then becoming our main pinch hitter once Acuna comes up
    I guess it depends on when you think Acuna is coming up.

If Acuna stays in AAA for a for weeks, the new OFer will be platooning with Markakis for 5+ months.

If Acuna stays in AAA for half the year or more, the new OFer is getting a lot of PAs in a platoon with Lane (no way AA gives defensive innings to Adonis).

My opinion is Acuna gets called up pretty quickly, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they just let Lane run around LF for a few weeks, and then give Markakis a breather once a week vs a tough LH pitcher.

Since they are punting 2018, they don’t need to worry about hedging against Acuna not coming up right away and producing.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-17-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    or Martin Prado.
    Haven't I suffered enough?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

thewupk (12-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Two of my favorite pitchers. Wish we would've had them years ago, but at least they are here now. Hopefully we get to see them healthy. Regardless, this is clearly a solid trade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (12-17-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    What is the general timeframe that we have to keep Acuna down in order to gain an extra year of control? It seems the narrative is that we would only have to keep him down until late April/early May, but when I read the actual text of the rules it seems more likely that date would fall somewhere in June. What am I missing here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    What is the general timeframe that we have to keep Acuna down in order to gain an extra year of control? It seems the narrative is that we would only have to keep him down until late April/early May, but when I read the actual text of the rules it seems more likely that date would fall somewhere in June. What am I missing here?
    2 or 3 weeks...longer if we want to avoid super 2 but that is less important imo
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    A “year” of service time is 172 days. If a player has 5 years and 171 days of service time the team gets another year of control.

A typical baseball season is 183 days long, so teams keep a player down for 12 days (183 - 171) to gain the extra year of control. That’s where the “keep him down for 2 weeks” line originates.

The most blatant example is Kris Bryant. You can see his service time is 1.171 here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ryankr01.shtml

Opening day is March 29, so I believe the earliest we will see Acuna called up is 12 days later on April 10. Since the Braves aren’t going to contend I would expect Acuna to stay down until an OFer gets hurt.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2017), tomahawkchop (12-17-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    2 or 3 weeks...longer if we want to avoid super 2 but that is less important imo
    Ahhhh, so basically we have to have him accrue no more than 171 days of service time to get an extra year of control, but if we were wanting to avoid super 2 we would have to wait until we thought he would be out of the top 22% in service time. Is this the gist of it? For some reason I always conflated the two

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Ahhhh, so basically we have to have him accrue no more than 171 days of service time to get an extra year of control, but if we were wanting to avoid super 2 we would have to wait until we thought he would be out of the top 22% in service time. Is this the gist of it? For some reason I always conflated the two
    Yeah. Essentially the way it works is a couple of weeks to gain the extra year and around mid season to avoid the player being a super two.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Over the last decade the Super 2 cutoff has ranged from 122-146 days of service time. That’s anywhere from about May 7 to May 31. To be safe a team would hold a guy down into early June.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Acuna get 2 months in AAA and then force his way into the MLB lineup in June if he’s hitting well. I also expect him to be called up if Markakis or Inciarte get hurt any time after April 10.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah. Essentially the way it works is a couple of weeks to gain the extra year and around mid season to avoid the player being a super two.
    Good rule of thumb is 2 weeks for the extra year of control and 2 months to avoid Super 2.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    if Maybin were willing to sign cheaply on a short deal to start the season in RF or LF and then maybe platoon/backup all three spots, I think that would be lovely.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-17-2017)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Haven't I suffered enough?
    Yeah I don't get the fascination with Prado - he's not good anymore. He's entering his age-34 season, was good for 0.1WAR last year, and is due $13.5M this year and $15M next year. If we have to take on his salary to get Yelich so be it, but I'd DFA him immediately thereafter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Yeah I don't get the fascination with Prado - he's not good anymore. He's entering his age-34 season, was good for 0.1WAR last year, and is due $13.5M this year and $15M next year. If we have to take on his salary to get Yelich so be it, but I'd DFA him immediately thereafter
    The hope is Prado would rebound. He was a 3+ WAR player before his injury plagued 2017.

If taking on Prado got us Yelich I'd definitely keep Prado and hope for a rebound. If you get one you could flip him at the break

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That season is 2019 when the Braves will have something like 80 million to take on in FA/trades.
    And when it doesn’t happen it will be just wait for 2020.
    Wash rinse repeat.
    Same song and dance for years now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    And when it doesn’t happen it will be just wait for 2020.
    Wash rinse repeat.
    Same song and dance for years now.
    cool story bro

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-17-2017), jpx7 (12-17-2017), The Chosen One (12-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (12-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I won't miss Kemp trying to play defense, he could be okay for a few years as a DH somewhere though.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Had a dream and when I woke up I had to do a double take and make sure it REALLY was a dream...

Here it was...

Move #1

Braves traded Ender Inciarte, Kyle Muller, Lucas Sims and Aaron Blair to Miami for Christian Yelich and Drew Steckenrider

Move #2 (this was where it got crazy)

Braves signed Bryce Harper for 10 years and $400 million with a $50 million signing bonus and opt outs after years 5 and 7.

Lineup was:

Ozzie Albies- SS
    Christian Yelich- LF
    Ronald Acuna- CF
    Bryce Harper- RF
    Freddie Freeman- 1B
    Austin Riley- 3B
    Tyler Flowers- C
    Dansby Swanson- 2B

That would be some lineup.

AGAIN, this was just a dream I had, nothing more!!!
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Over the last decade the Super 2 cutoff has ranged from 122-146 days of service time. That’s anywhere from about May 7 to May 31. To be safe a team would hold a guy down into early June.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Acuna get 2 months in AAA and then force his way into the MLB lineup in June if he’s hitting well. I also expect him to be called up if Markakis or Inciarte get hurt any time after April 10.
    I hope Acuna has to earn it. I know that will be crazy to some. But he had this insane year last year while being super young. Let him mash aaa and earn a spot vs being given the spot like dansby. I think it’s better for everyone.

And I hope we keep neck. He’s not getting us anything. He’s not that expensive. Braves will want a vet clubhouse guy anyway. Acuna and ender being paid so little vs production means we can keep neck around.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Had a dream and when I woke up I had to do a double take and make sure it REALLY was a dream...

Here it was...

Move #1

Braves traded Ender Inciarte, Kyle Muller, Lucas Sims and Aaron Blair to Miami for Christian Yelich and Drew Steckenrider

Move #2 (this was where it got crazy)

Braves signed Bryce Harper for 10 years and $400 million with a $50 million signing bonus and opt outs after years 5 and 7.

Lineup was:

Ozzie Albies- SS
    Christian Yelich- LF
    Ronald Acuna- CF
    Bryce Harper- RF
    Freddie Freeman- 1B
    Austin Riley- 3B
    Tyler Flowers- C
    Dansby Swanson- 2B

That would be some lineup.

AGAIN, this was just a dream I had, nothing more!!!
    Even in a dream jester isn’t that dumb

I still think yelling is one of wright or allard plus pache plus Riley plus a guy like mueller. You will have to take on prado and Chen to think about sims having any value. Blair is funny.

Maybe marlins will screw it up more and waste a year of yellich control so he’s cheaper next year.