Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Most of these trade suggestions aren’t even in the neighborhood of what it would take to get Yelich and Realmuto.
    Given they didnt get a ton of value back for Ozuna, im not sure it will cost the king ransom some think.

Although it will obviously cost a good chunk to trade though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    For just Yelich I’d say Newcomb, Allard, Pache, and Anderson. That’s a big package but I’d do it for Yelich. It would still leave us with Wright, Soroka, Wentz, Touki, Wilson, and the #8 pick in the minors which is still better than %90 of other teams.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Did someone say "sniffing?"

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (01-05-2018), bravesfanforlife88 (01-04-2018), CJ9 (01-04-2018), Hawk (01-04-2018), jpx7 (01-05-2018), Julio3000 (01-04-2018), NYCBrave (01-04-2018), Tapate50 (01-04-2018), The Chosen One (01-04-2018), thethe (01-04-2018), UNCBlue012 (01-04-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't know what it would take. I think they've gotten back subpar returns on Stanton and Ozuna.

Assuming we'd be taking on salary, I think I'd offer Anderson, Allard, Pache, Camargo, and Minter.

Don't know if that gets it done... but don't think I'd be willing to trade Albies, Acuna, or Gohara
    They did for Stanton because they put themselves in a position where they essentially had to trade Stanton and he got to dictate terms on who he would go to. That gave all the advantage to the Yankees in what they had to give up.

The Ozuna trade wasn't as bad as some are making it out to be.

Ozuna is going to be worth 7-8 wins before he he hits FA. That's worth like 63-72 million on the open market. Ozuna will make something like ~28 million over those 2 years in arbitration. So I'd put him at 40 million in surplus value.

The Fish got 2 50 FV prospects and filler for him. That was was worth an estimated 34 million a year ago and no doubt that has gone up.

So two things here. Fish took a Hart/Coppy trade where they accepted quantity over quality like the Braves did when they sold off their guys. Braves have a plethora of these types so they could put together a deal the Fish may like.

Ozuna's value is totally different than Yelichs. Ozuna has two years left and the Cards are currently at the mercy of the arbitration system which pays players like Ozuna well. Yelich has something like 5 years and his salary is set in stone. He has much more value and you can pinpoint a pretty exact amount. He will require substantially more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (01-04-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The question was asked in the early Yelich threads, but it is valid with Realmuto in the mix:

Is the trade easier to do if we take on Prado's salary for 2018?

I was trying to put the laundry list together of what I would take if I were Derek Jeter. Of course, he kicked Minka Kelly to the curb so I don't have a lot of confidence in his assessment of talent ...

See this deal taking Folty, Flowers, Camargo (or Swanson!), Pache, Toussaint, Cumberland or Jackson and I would also give up Anderson. I'd also try to slip them Markakis for the hell of it.
    I doubt the Braves currently have the payroll to take on anymore bad money. They are already doing this by getting Kemp off the roster. The only real solution would be to find a way to ship Markakis off somewhere. But that seems counter productive to keeping Acuna down until he passes super 2 status. Also I'm not sure how much the Fish need to shed salary now that they have already made a few moves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Yelich has upwards of $120M in surplus value, but given the unimpressive return they got for Ozuna I imagine offers totaling ~$100M could be plausible.

So take Yelich’s value and subtract the negative value of someone like Prado, Chen or Tazawa, and you have the value of the package overall. However, I find it extremely unlikely the Braves went to all that trouble to rid themselves of Kemp’s money in 2019 only to take on other bad money in 2019. Maybe Prado is an exception to that though.

Approximate value of the Braves prospects not named Albies or Acuna:

Wright $35M
    Gohara $35M
    Allard $25M
    Soroka $25M
    Newk $20M
    Anderson $20M
    Fried $20M
    Pache $20M
    Riley $15M
    Wentz $15M

Add them up any way you want, but it is very unlikely the Marlins trade Yelich without getting at least 2 FV 55 guys as the centerpiece.

A trade for Yelich almost has to coincide with the Braves trading Markakis and/or Teheran to free up salary to take bad money from Miami. The cost in prospects is likely too steep otherwise.

It also likely requires the Marlins overvaluing MLB ready pitchers like Newk, Fried or Sims as a substantial part of the return. I could see the Braves selling high on Camargo as well if the Marlins are fans of his.

Having said all that, AA might very well be cooking up something none of us even imagined that gets Yelich to Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    And by crazy I mean something like:

Braves get Yelich

Yankees get Prado and Teheran

Marlins get Frazier, Allard and Riley

Some cash might need to go to the Yankees from the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Watch AA says screw everyone else and grab Yelich, Realmuto and Darvish/Arrieta. lol

It would be killer for the farm system, but we'd immediately become a fun team to watch.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Braves get Yelich

I'd build a statue of AA in my backyard if he turned Teheran, Allard and Riley into Yelich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I'd build a statue of AA in my backyard if he turned Teheran, Allard and Riley into Yelich.
    Agreed - And this is a homer that is extremely homerish on Allard and Riley.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Pache is projected to gain quite a bit more power actually. Whether that translates into reality has yet to be seen, though, obviously. Most thought it would start this year and never did. Still his frame is much more impressive and conducive to power than Hamilton or Inciarte. Like not even on the same planet really. And yes at this stage in their careers, his hit too is more advanced than Inciarte's was. Sorry, that's a bad comparison whether he lives up to some, all, or even none of his potential. Hamilton is an awful comparison.

15 homers on a regular basis would be quite significant
    The Hamilton comparison is in event Pache doesn't gain any in game power. He should still have elite speed and defense, ala Hamilton.

Someone like Angel Pagan is likely a better comp than Ender, but I used Ender because he is a Brave. They are fairly similar players statistically though.

15 homer is more the top out for Pache with his swing plane. It's far more likely he'll average near 10 homers on a regular basis and that's not significant power.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Pretty sure it was Jon Morosi.
    Yeah, but don't you know he's an "idiot"? After all, he's not a blackjack dealer.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Yelich has upwards of $120M in surplus value, but given the unimpressive return they got for Ozuna I imagine offers totaling ~$100M could be plausible.

So take Yelich’s value and subtract the negative value of someone like Prado, Chen or Tazawa, and you have the value of the package overall. However, I find it extremely unlikely the Braves went to all that trouble to rid themselves of Kemp’s money in 2019 only to take on other bad money in 2019. Maybe Prado is an exception to that though.

Approximate value of the Braves prospects not named Albies or Acuna:

Wright $35M
    Gohara $35M
    Allard $25M
    Soroka $25M
    Newk $20M
    Anderson $20M
    Fried $20M
    Pache $20M
    Riley $15M
    Wentz $15M

Add them up any way you want, but it is very unlikely the Marlins trade Yelich without getting at least 2 FV 55 guys as the centerpiece.

A trade for Yelich almost has to coincide with the Braves trading Markakis and/or Teheran to free up salary to take bad money from Miami. The cost in prospects is likely too steep otherwise.

It also likely requires the Marlins overvaluing MLB ready pitchers like Newk, Fried or Sims as a substantial part of the return. I could see the Braves selling high on Camargo as well if the Marlins are fans of his.

Having said all that, AA might very well be cooking up something none of us even imagined that gets Yelich to Atlanta.
    Realmuto plus Yelich is only about 11 million or so in 2018. If the Braves are at 117, that is doable on a payroll similar to last season. I don't think they would necessarily want to keep Markakis if they acquired Yelich though. They'd probably would also move Suzuki or Flowers. Just natural position opening moves you are talking about 3 million plus some portion of Markakis's 11 million. That deal would probably not end up adding much payroll.

**of course the Marlins might insist on Braves eating a bad contract as well, and that would be different.

Financially, I think it probably does work. I don't have any idea about whether it would work for either team on prospects and I'm not sure whether I would like the cost from Braves side.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 01-04-2018 at 08:16 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Acquiring Yelich a d Realmuto could be expensive. I think you'd have to attach Chen to it. I don't think AA would be opposed to such a deal after being in L.A. and working the DL and oft injured pitchers. His contract is very much deferred, so while we'd be taking on 52M it wouldn't hurt us at all in 2018 with 2-8M counting on 2018 payroll.

I'd offer Alex Jackson and Christian Pache and 3 pitchers from 3 tiers.
    One of Wright or Gohara
    One of Soroka, Allard, or Anderson
    One of Newcomb or Fried

I'd like a Yelich, Realmuto, and Chen deal for Gohara, Anderson, Newcomb, Pache, and Ajax

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I have reason to believe that Bowman has reason to believe that the Braves have reason to believe that the Fish have reason to believe that trade talks will resume.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-04-2018), Julio3000 (01-04-2018), Tapate50 (01-04-2018), zedsdead (01-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I have reason to believe that Bowman has reason to believe that the Braves have reason to believe that the Fish have reason to believe that trade talks will resume.
    Solid work.
    Ivermectin Man

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Last week another braves writer on atlantabraves.com linked to Bowman's mailbag with a sentence that included "reason to believe."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

Braves get Yelich

I've already proposed a very similar trade sans Prado to NY. It just makes too much sense for all parties involved. Yankees use Frazier to get a cost controlled durable starter who will be 27 to start the year. They also get a decent 3b option. Marlins get several top prospects in the deal. Braves get a long term offensive piece and doesn't really add any payroll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    A deal could of been done by now if the Marlins wouldn’t have slowed things down. Hopefully with the holidays over that talks will pick up and something can get done.