Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs Top 100 Prospects

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves were able to foresee him blowing up his knee during a home plate collision playing a game in the town of Everett.

Well done Braves scouting/psychic group!
    It’s definitely not fair for people to say that the Braves foresaw Lewis’s injury, but it’s definitely true that the Braves did a good job identifying Anderson as a very good (though not great) pick.

What stings the most is that the Braves were one slot away from Senzel who would have filled a giant hole for the Braves and allowed them to trade Riley in a package to help in the outfield.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Who knows how things play out if he doesn't get hurt.
    but to not even be mentioned is fairly telling. is his career in jeopardy because of the injury? in that case it would make more sense. but if they thought he was great besides the injury, i'd expect him to at least get mentioned.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    but to not even be mentioned is fairly telling. is his career in jeopardy because of the injury? in that case it would make more sense. but if they thought he was great besides the injury, i'd expect him to at least get mentioned.
    I think his career is in jeopardy of possibly being a MLB player. He is going to toil around in the minors longer than most who have an injury like this due to where he got drafted and paid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Let's just note that Kyle Lewis went 11th in the draft, not 4th.

His best credential is beating up short season low A ball as a 20 year old college draftee.

I don't think we are in "if he just hadn't been injured" territory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

His best credential is beating up short season low A ball as a 20 year old college draftee.

Puk went #6 that year.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

What a completely pointless statement lol.

After being drafted with concerns about his ability to make contact, Lewis went to Low-A and posted a .299/.385/.530 line over 135 PAs while playing CF. His K rate was 16.3%, and his walk rate was 11.9%, so he was answering questions about his contact skills...likely at the expense of some power as evidenced by his low HR total of 3.

Then he blew up his knee in a collision at home plate. This is not an injury even remotely like a player having recurring hamstring issues, or a pitcher blowing out his elbow over the course of normal work. This was a freak injury that was in no way accounted for in the risk profile of a player.

If the Braves had Kyle Lewis, and he finished his Low-A season with a .915 OPS while playing CF, folks here would be drooling over him. The rosterbating about an Acuna/Inciarte/Lewis OF in 2018/2019 would be almost unbearable. He would have been possibly the highest rated prospect in the Braves system, and the only question going forward would be if he could get more HR pop without raising his K rate too much.

To act like the Braves were right not to take Lewis over Anderson because he blew up his knee is clvclv-level stupid.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-05-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Stealing this from one of the comments of the top 100 post.

But the Marlins now have 6 prospects in their top 100 that total 310 FV which is tied for 3rd in baseball with the A's. They also added 2 50 FV prospects from the Cards that didn't make the top 100. Before their sell off they would of only had 2 prospects that totaled 100 FV which would of put them in the bottom tier. I think they did pretty well all things considered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

But the Marlins now have 6 prospects in their top 100 that total 310 FV which is tied for 3rd in baseball with the A's. They also added 2 50 FV prospects from the Cards that didn't make the top 100. Before their sell off they would of only had 2 prospects that totaled 100 FV which would of put them in the bottom tier. I think they did pretty well all things considered.
    I hope they did - The assets they sold were real good and should get a nice haul for Realmuto.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    BTW - Love the bullish ranking on Riley. Seems to be a lot of helium on him and in general scouts are impressed with the amount of work that he put into his body last year to get more mobile.

The contact improvement is a big development because we all know he has the power.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Their rebuild is going very similarly to the White Sox. Both teams sold off valuable assets and rebuilt the farm quickly. Neither team has wasted the value of a player like Teheran in some misguided attempt to win in 2-3 years.

The Marlins can certainly be criticized for deciding to rebuild, but they have done a good job so far in the early stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Allard being off the list is super premature. But one thing we can all agree on is that the system is absolutely loaded, and we are gonna be adding another top pick in a few months.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Allard being off the list is super premature. But one thing we can all agree on is that the system is absolutely loaded, and we are gonna be adding another top pick in a few months.
    I could see Camargo having a good year as well as a bounce back from Swanson. If that happens one of them will be flipped for prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Seems way too bullish on several of those guys. No Allard still seems odd. I'm just not sure what he's done to warrant his complete removal from the top 100. I understand having concerns. But the results are the results.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-05-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-top-100-prospects/

Acuna 2
    Wright 26
    Gohara 31
    Soroka 34
    Pache 37
    Anderson 45
    Riley 55
    Touki 60
    Fried 78
    Wentz 84

Maybe it's the skeptic in me, but this seems kind of excessive.
    Why?

The only rankings that have never been wrong other than FanGraphs are Law's.

Riley's ranking just broke a lot of hearts in these parts -apparently there's no reason to follow that site anymore.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Seems way too bullish on several of those guys. No Allard still seems odd. I'm just not sure what he's done to warrant his complete removal from the top 100. I understand having concerns. But the results are the results.
    He will be top 20 by the ed of next season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There is definitely some pozzy Braves bias due to Kiley being "the Braves guy", but overall it's a good list. The Touki ranking is a bit baffling, but I suppose their thinking is he's still young enough that they can continue dreaming on his control improving.

We now see how high Kiley is on Pache. I agree that he slots in behind the Gohara/Wright/Soroka trio, but #37 overall might be a little high. Still, a prospect with Kevin Pillar's floor is not the #37 prospect in the game haha. I notice he hedged his comment a little bit to, "With little improvement, he’s a Kevin Pillar".

Allard is completely off the list...even with Kiley pozzying it up. This list implies he isn't even considered to be in the Braves Top 10 anymore, and he is now a low-end FV 50 guy.

Wright's FV dropped to 55 from 60 after 17 professional innings (so did Hunter Greene's). He didn't exactly impress in his pro debut, but it's a bit surprising to see him dropped like that.

My biggest issue is with the consistency of this new "Variance" column. Gohara and Soroka are both FV 55 pitchers, ranked only 3 spots apart. Gohara has "Med" Variance, yet is ranked about Soroka, who has "Low" Variance. I imagine there will be many requests for clarification about this new column in the prospects chat tomorrow.
    Touki actually improved his control substantially this year. Whether he can repeat it will remain to be seen, but plenty of reason to be excited about Touki as a long term starter again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Seems way too bullish on several of those guys.
    Agreed. Thoughts on a few of these:
    If other teams agree on this value for Anderson and Touki, we should deal them tomorrow.

I'm surprised at how much Riley has risen, given his struggles prior to the promotion. Those seem to be forgotten after his post-promotion hot streak.

A 20 grade seems a bit high to me on Pache's hit tool, and yes, I know that's the bottom of the scale. I'm not sure I ever saw him put the ball in play when I watched. His other grades seem right, it's difficult to understand just how good his defense is until you see it in person.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    on anderson:

"...but a combination of corraling his rising velocity along with minor-league-level umpires inconsistency at calling high strikes has impacted his walk figures."

That is awesome. I didn't get the hype about Hebert's skill behind the plate, until I saw him catch Anderson. That kid can really go up and get the ball.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Apparently it's results based on advanced sequencing but poor stuff. Scouts don't think that will hold up as he advances. We'll see what happens.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Why?

The only rankings that have never been wrong other than FanGraphs are Law's.

Riley's ranking just broke a lot of hearts in these parts -apparently there's no reason to follow that site anymore
    He's a 50 FV which is what several of us have stated. I would rank him closer to the back end of the top 100 but the difference between 50 and 100 is minimal at best.