Page 17 of 95 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Did you rip this from a social studies textbook published in 1993?
    Feel free to enlighten me on the subject if you wish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I will never understand why people who claim to want everyone to be treated equally continually make an issue of race. Again, if you want racial discrimination to end, you need to quit discriminating on the basis of race.

Having said all that, I think Boyega's reply should have been something like "There weren't many whites in the Black Panthers organization. You dumb***."
    In a perfect world this wouldn't be necessary. However, we don't live in a perfect world, and until we do I will support taking critical looks to increase diversity in areas where there historically hasn't been much.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Feel free to enlighten me on the subject if you wish.
    I'll pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I'll pass.
    Then if you'll excuse me, I'll continue thinking that it's a good thing for young people to be able to see someone that looks like them be a ****ing super hero.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Then if you'll excuse me, I'll continue thinking that it's a good thing for young people to be able to see someone that looks like them be a ****ing super hero.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Super hero? That's not patronizing at all.

"Look here, I'm going to let you fantasize about being something that you literally can't ever be!"

How about President of the United States?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    You know, I'm not a fan of superhero media. I never really got into it when I was a kid, and that's probably the reason that it doesn't push my buttons now. As an adult, I am leery of investing too much energy into the trasformative power of a single individual (side-eyes at Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders)...but [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION], **** that sentiment, entirely. What mqt wrote was reasonable and well-intentioned.

I'm the parent of two brown kids. I know this is dicey territory, and I'm sensitive to the idea that I could and should feel this way, regardless of that status...on the other hand, having had the particular experiences that I have--including having a state official tell me "oh, it looks like she'll be light-skinned...you're lucky" upon seeing the my daughter, I've got at least a tiny modicum of insight here (it went well beyond that, in truth). So this kind of thing surely matters to me and matters to my kids, and to others who look like them.

Your assumed posture of superiority--"it's patronizing"-- really strikes a sour note. The appearance of pop-culture superheroes and princesses DO matter to my kids, and I know that because they tell me so.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    You know, I'm not a fan of superhero media. I never really got into it when I was a kid, and that's probably the reason that it doesn't push my buttons now. As an adult, I am leery of investing too much energy into the trasformative power of a single individual (side-eyes at Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders)...but [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION], **** that sentiment, entirely. What mqt wrote was reasonable and well-intentioned.

I'm the parent of two brown kids. I know this is dicey territory, and I'm sensitive to the idea that I could and should feel this way, regardless of that status...on the other hand, having had the particular experiences that I have--including having a state official tell me "oh, it looks like she'll be light-skinned...you're lucky" upon seeing the my daughter, I've got at least a tiny modicum of insight here (it went well beyond that, in truth). So this kind of thing surely matters to me and matters to my kids, and to others who look like them.

Your assumed posture of superiority--"it's patronizing"-- really strikes a sour note. The appearance of pop-culture superheroes and princesses DO matter to my kids, and I know that because they tell me so.
    Yes, I'm aware of your family situation. You wrote about it eloquently following the Heyward trade (re: role models) and I've never forgotten it.

My sentiment is not that we shouldn't strive to assure equal racial representation in the mass media. My belief is simply that your thinking (and mqt's) is, frankly, hella dated. Minority groups (especially African Americans) are incredibly well-represented in the entertainment industry. If anything, Asian Americans are the ones with a bone to pick in this realm. You simply aren't watching much TV or going to the movies very often if you believe that the 'appearance' of pop cultural entertainment icons hasn't been significantly and unambiguously considered/respected.
    Last edited by Hawk; 10-19-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Hehe, ok. If you say so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Super hero? That's not patronizing at all.

"Look here, I'm going to let you fantasize about being something that you literally can't ever be!"

How about President of the United States?
    Kids don't know that. Kids see superheroes saving the day and want to be just like them. I don't feel like I'm wrong in patronizing my son when he plays as Spider-Man or Batman. I think the world is a slightly better place when kids of all ethnicities can feel more included.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'd like to know where you perceive the shortcomings to exist. I'd also like to know what 'professional stereotypes' are being actively pushed on viewers.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    My sentiment is not that we shouldn't strive to assure equal racial representation in the mass media. My belief is simply that your thinking (and mqt's) is, frankly, hella dated. Minority groups (especially African Americans) are incredibly well-represented in the entertainment industry. If anything, Asian Americans are the ones with a bone to pick in this realm. You simply aren't watching much TV or going to the movies very often if you believe that the 'appearance' of pop cultural entertainment icons hasn't been significantly and unambiguously considered/respected.
    You're not wrong (especially regarding the continuing under-representation and/or under-complicated representation of East and South Asians in US media), but this again strikes me as similar in tone to the We took out the third verse; what else do you expect? mindset—essentially saying, "Things are better, so quit complaining." It's fine and good and useful to recognize and celebrate what progress has been made to redress racialized ills; but it shouldn't be used as a cudgel to stymie or silence continued discourse regarding what there nonetheless remains to do.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Kids don't know that. Kids see superheroes saving the day and want to be just like them. I don't feel like I'm wrong in patronizing my son when he plays as Spider-Man or Batman. I think the world is a slightly better place when kids of all ethnicities can feel more included.
    Okay, that's fine, and I don't disagree, but I think the onus is on you to demonstrate where these ethnic groups are being out and out excluded.

And, as a matter of technicality, I don't think kids idolize Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker ... they idolize the superhero, which, atleast in terms of action figures, cartoons, and costumes, is a pretty 'color' neutral figure.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    For the record I think a black Batman would be awesome and I'm surprised a black Jim West happened before Batman did (I guess we got Blade instead).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    You're not wrong (especially regarding the continuing under-representation and/or under-complicated representation of East and South Asians in US media), but this again strikes me as similar in tone to the We took out the third verse; what else do you expect? mindset—essentially saying, "Things are better, so quit complaining." It's fine and good and useful to recognize and celebrate what progress has been made to redress racialized ills; but it shouldn't be used as a cudgel to stymie or silence continued discourse regarding what there nonetheless remains to do.
    I honestly don't see where you could remotely derive 'cudgeling' and "quit complaining" out of my comments on this issue. Things are better. I can say that and still advocate for continued maturity in the industry and in terms of how society broadly perceives its heroes/stars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yeah, pretty much just this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I honestly don't see where you could remotely derive 'cudgeling' and "quit complaining" out of my comments on this issue. Things are better. I can say that and still advocate for continued maturity in the industry and in terms of how society broadly perceives its heroes/stars.
    To borrow another pop-culture trope, I don't see where you could not.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    nm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Nah, your response to mqt was straight bull****. I appreciate your clarifications, but dang, dude...it seems pretty obvious.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    For the record I think a black Batman would be awesome and I'm surprised a black Jim West happened before Batman did
    Read that as "a black Adam West" at first, and was both worried and intrigued.

I guess we got Blade instead
    Black Mercutio was more hallmark than that.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."