Page 20 of 204 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Economics Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    competition by producing better and cheaper products is what drives growth....there are other forms of competition that are predatory and run afoul of antitrust law...the distinction is worth keeping in mind
    Growth for whom?

How many people can actually enter this arena and compete with apple? There are naturally tremendous costs to enter the market but it is even greater because of the size of apple.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Growth for whom?

How many people can actually enter this arena and compete with apple? There are naturally tremendous costs to enter the market but it is even greater because of the size of apple.
    Actually Jobs and Wozniak started it in their garage. Very little startup cost. Do you have a better example?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Actually Jobs and Wozniak started it in their garage. Very little startup cost. Do you have a better example?
    You are going to compare the current climate to the mid 70's? Come on man - This is not an intellectually honest counterargument.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    So, a decent amount of jobs added with some great wage increases.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Bloomberg economist Tim Mahedy: "This is the strongest employment report of this economic cycle -- hands down."

Are we still talking recession?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    You are going to compare the current climate to the mid 70's? Come on man - This is not an intellectually honest counterargument.
    I started my business with very little startup costs ten years ago. Not yet an apple but one can dream.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I started my business with very little startup costs ten years ago. Not yet an apple but one can dream.
    You're the champion of apples to oranges today my friend.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    You're the champion of apples to oranges today my friend.
    I just have a different view of apple than you do. I'm not a champion of their products by any means. But their success does not represent some sort of blemish on capitalism. They make products that are valued by a huge number of people. I see that as a good thing, even though I've never personally bought an apple product for myself. I have family members who like their products and have bought their products as gifts for those family members.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I just have a different view of apple than you do. I'm not a champion of their products by any means. But their success does not represent some sort of blemish on capitalism. They make products that are valued by a huge number of people. I see that as a good thing, even though I've never personally bought an apple product for myself. I have family members who like their products and have bought their products as gifts for those family members.
    Of course their products are good - That isn't in dispute at all. The whole point is that when a company gets as large as apple competition is naturally stifled. If you don't think their main goal is to eliminate their competition then I'm not sure what to say. The objective from their side is fine. I don't blame them. When it actually happens though we need to consider how good is that for everyone.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Are we going to get any comments on the jobs report? I see a lot of commentary on bad signs in the economy posted. When will the community at Chop Country finally admit that the levers being pulled by this administration are having a positive impact on the economy?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Of course their products are good - That isn't in dispute at all. The whole point is that when a company gets as large as apple competition is naturally stifled. If you don't think their main goal is to eliminate their competition then I'm not sure what to say. The objective from their side is fine. I don't blame them. When it actually happens though we need to consider how good is that for everyone.
    Every company wants to crush the competition. That actually results in a socially good outcome for the most part. There are exceptions (for example what economists call predatory pricing) and antitrust laws that seek to prevent and penalize that sort of behavior. But it is inevitable that some companies will get very big and powerful even without violating antitrust laws. They get that way by making products that lots of people want to buy. That's part of being successful. Don't pine too hard for the 1970s. There were big and powerful companies back then too. One of them even got sued by the Justice Department essentially for being too big. Needless to say DoJ lost that one.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-04-2019 at 11:28 AM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    It was a demand issue in their projections. Plain and simple. It had nothing to do with costs to create or projected sales price. The sheep line up for days to spend whatever it costs. Finally the fad of the smart phone is starting to fade.
    Again - Apple grew EVERYWHERE but China.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Are we going to get any comments on the jobs report? I see a lot of commentary on bad signs in the economy posted. When will the community at Chop Country finally admit that the levers being pulled by this administration are having a positive impact on the economy?
    It’s a great jobs report. It’s unfortunate that this China nonsense has the potential to overshadow all the positive benefits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It’s a great jobs report. It’s unfortunate that this China nonsense has the potential to overshadow all the positive benefits.
    But what are the prospective future benefits of these tariffs if it brings China to the table to put an end to their actions? Obviously the tariffs aren't crippling the nation. The investor class and those that are close to retirement are sweating it out right now but people who are looking for work and those that haven't had jobs in a while are not being impacted that much at all and the potential benefit to those people may be tremendous.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Again - Apple grew EVERYWHERE but China.
    Was their growth in line with their expectations though? We aren't talking about historical figures. That isn't what caused a downturn in the market.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Was their growth in line with their expectations though? We aren't talking about historical figures. That isn't what caused a downturn in the market.
    That’s entirely possible and I don’t inherently disagree with you that Apple has some core business related issues that they need to work through. But that isn’t what caused them to miss guidance numbers. They correctly forecasted non-China demand just fine from all accounts.

I’m speaking simply to the tangible consequences of a tariff war with China. Of course China imposing a tariff on American goods is going to hurt US companies. You can make an argument that the long term benefit is worth it (I disagree), but you can’t ignore the short term consequences and blame capitalism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    That’s entirely possible and I don’t inherently disagree with you that Apple has some core business related issues that they need to work through. But that isn’t what caused them to miss guidance numbers. They correctly forecasted non-China demand just fine from all accounts.

I’m speaking simply to the tangible consequences of a tariff war with China. Of course China imposing a tariff on American goods is going to hurt US companies. You can make an argument that the long term benefit is worth it (I disagree), but you can’t ignore the short term consequences and blame capitalism.
    When you say they correctly forecasted non-china demand I assume you are talking about their Q4 performance. The downturn in the market was the revision of revenue guidance on Q1 19 and I believe that was caused based on world wide downturn in demand for apple products. I could be wrong on that and would need to read further on the release.

Further, there is absolutely no way to bring China to the table using the status quo. This was always going to happen but we needed leadership to have the courage to do it. I think a vast majority of hte country agrees that something needs to be done with China its just that big business that lines the pockets of our government is pushing an agenda that the 'world is going to end' because of these tariffs. I think the most recent jobs report is showing that is clearly not the case.

What are the short term consequences? The investor class is losing money? Those close to retirement may have to wait just a tick longer for their 401ks to get back to where they were 12 months ago? Who is actually being hurt here? Christmas demand was as strong as its been in a decade? Where are these huge price increases we were promised because of tariffs?

The investor class wants to scare the rest of us into thinking that we need to keep cheap labor from China and illegal immigrants if we want to maintain our style of life and the facts thus far show anything but that. The market is not the economy as you know.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    J Crowley
    ‏ @jdcrowley
    3h3 hours ago

If we taxed everything between $1,000,000 and $5,000,000 at 70%, and everything above $5,000,000 at 90%:

• Median CEO take-home pay would be ~$2,000,000
    • The highest CEO take-home pay would be ~$10,000,000

Now tell me with a straight face that would be "punishing success".
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    J Crowley
    ‏ @jdcrowley
    3h3 hours ago

If we taxed everything between $1,000,000 and $5,000,000 at 70%, and everything above $5,000,000 at 90%:

• Median CEO take-home pay would be ~$2,000,000
    • The highest CEO take-home pay would be ~$10,000,000

Now tell me with a straight face that would be "punishing success".
    Who is J Crowley? I’d be happy to tell him that with a straight face

20. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (01-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Who is J Crowley? I’d be happy to tell him that with a straight face
    please remind again the era of the Great America was we are to be rushing back to
    and the tax rates ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.