Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickels Top 100 Prospects

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts

Sickels Top 100 Prospects

Like everyone else in the known universe, John Sickels ended up at The Athletic and he just posted his top 100 prospects list today. He acknowledges it's largely built around fantasy considerations, but he also says there are some "real baseball" elements to the list as well.

Eight Braves on the list - Anderson (16), Soroka (31), Wright (34), Riley (36), Toussaint (38), Pache (52), Wilson (76), Waters (85).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    has no idea he went to the athletic. surprising. anderson that high is a hot take for sure.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Is there a high level pitch with Anderson ? Or general Aaron Blair effectiveness
    Ivermectin Man

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Is there a high level pitch with Anderson ? Or general Aaron Blair effectiveness
    Good question. Did Encheff post something that actually gave the stats on the spin rate that everyone is so concerned about? Takes on Anderson are all over the map, from future ace potential to projected 2018 Allard futility. (For that matter, takes on Allard are still varied, though few think last year was an abberation from what I see.)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    Good question. Did Encheff post something that actually gave the stats on the spin rate that everyone is so concerned about? Takes on Anderson are all over the map, from future ace potential to projected 2018 Allard futility. (For that matter, takes on Allard are still varied, though few think last year was an abberation from what I see.)
    even if the spin rate thing is true (big if imo) anderson still isn’t allard thankfully.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Nothing high level but his stuff isn't marginal. The spin rate reports on the curve are concerning as is his spotty control. I think the best we can realistically hope for out of Anderson is a number 3 starter. I think he's more likely to be a number 4 though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Nothing high level but his stuff isn't marginal. The spin rate reports on the curve are concerning as is his spotty control. I think the best we can realistically hope for out of Anderson is a number 3 starter. I think he's more likely to be a number 4 though.
    I watched a few of his minor league games two years ago. His control wasn’t an issue more so that he was just nibbling. His fastball had life and he worked both in and out. He made a good impression. I didn’t see him at all last year but box score scouting shows he improved his walk rate and maintained his K rate while also lowering his hits per 9. That improvement was also with 2 promotions.

I think he starts in AA this year unless he shows out in spring. But he will be a fast promo to AAA. That is my prediction.

Until we can actually see some real data on his pitches, I don’t think we will really know how high or low he can become. Especially for a guy who is about to turn 21 and can add control and velocity still.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I watched a few of his minor league games two years ago. His control wasn’t an issue more so that he was just nibbling. His fastball had life and he worked both in and out. He made a good impression. I didn’t see him at all last year but box score scouting shows he improved his walk rate and maintained his K rate while also lowering his hits per 9. That improvement was also with 2 promotions.

I think he starts in AA this year unless he shows out in spring. But he will be a fast promo to AAA. That is my prediction.

Until we can actually see some real data on his pitches, I don’t think we will really know how high or low he can become. Especially for a guy who is about to turn 21 and can add control and velocity still.
    as i’ve long said, his control really isn’t an issue.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The dude strikes out everybody and always has.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But how good is Allard?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    The only "data" I've seen on Anderson's spin rates are a second hand ~1700 figure on his curve. That "data" is mentioned by the guys at FG, which they could have only gotten from someone who supplied it to them...they don't have direct access to MiLB Statcast data.

To put 1700 in perspective, Braves pitchers in 2018 had a measured spin rate on the curve that ranged from 2155 (Anibal) to 2840 (Fried). They had spin rates on sliders that ranged from 2196 (Venters) to 2802 (Sobotka).

Obviously, getting the spin on the correct axis to translate RPM into movement is very important (spin efficiency), but I see no way 1700 RPM could create an above average breaking ball. Either the 1700 number is wrong, or Anderson has a bad breaking ball, and the only way we can know for sure is to see MLB Statcast data when he makes his debut.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    But how good is Allard?
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I think (don't know for sure) that he throws harder than Blair did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So did Chuck James in the minors.

Bryse Wilson is another one with gaudy K numbers but not really prime stuff.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

What are you basing your brush wilson data on?
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

lol you don’t see the difference between anderson and chuck james?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

I think he works off a pretty good rising FB.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    lol you don’t see the difference between anderson and chuck james?
    There's absolutely a difference. Just saying striking a bunch of people out in the minors doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I think he works off a pretty good rising FB.
    Wilson has decent stuff, not top notch stuff though. He's got a good chance to be a good major leaguer, but probably won't be striking out 10 per 9.

Anderson has decent stuff too. But his high K rate in the minors doesn't mean he has elite stuff.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    There's absolutely a difference. Just saying striking a bunch of people out in the minors doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Wilson has decent stuff, not top notch stuff though. He's got a good chance to be a good major leaguer, but probably won't be striking out 10 per 9.

Anderson has decent stuff too. But his high K rate in the minors doesn't mean he has elite stuff.
    anderson has very good stuff. that along with his k rate at his age and level says something.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Wilson has a hard sinker like Soroka. He just doesn’t have the command like him. I have always said wilson will be a great reliever when they finally realize that is what he is.
    Coppy