Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason/ 2015 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think packaging BJ and Gattis to an AL team is an interesting idea... Perhaps the Tigers would be interested. Basically hand a team Gattis if they take BJ's salary. Then use that money to lock up Heyward and Justin
    Sadly I think thats the only way we get rid of BJ.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Gattis doesn't really have a future with us anyways. His catching is so bad, it negates a lot of his offense. Additionally, he can't stay healthy

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think packaging BJ and Gattis to an AL team is an interesting idea... Perhaps the Tigers would be interested. Basically hand a team Gattis if they take BJ's salary. Then use that money to lock up Heyward and Justin
    I don't see Justin signing with us if we trade BJ.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama9507 View Post
    I don't see Justin signing with us if we trade BJ.
    I don't think he'll care. It's not like they're going to be teammates for the rest of their lives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I'll be honest, 2\3 highest contracts sunk in nonproduction is just crippling (30+% of payroll!!!!). The only reason we are even competitive is our young talent playing lots of innings. It is really amazing we are even above .500.

Suck for a draft pick!?!?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't buy the fact that we are close and need minor tweaking. SOmething isn't right with the team. Whether it be a regime change or a massive juggling of the player personal on the team something has to be done.
    Minor tweaking can have major results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Agree, also why I thought plugging in Stella!!! would have seen us improve our record going forward.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Is that his problem?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The Braves are going to have the exact same offseason they always have. And they are going to do it for good reason...they are a great organization that constantly fields a good team.

It is no mystery the main problem(s) with the current roster is that a HUGE portion of the payroll is taken up by BJ and Uggla who are providing exactly nothing. Since those contracts are THE problem, it would be beyond stupid to shake up the rest of the roster. Sadly there is no fix, so both those contracts are on the book for next year with BJ being a drag for the another few years.

However, you don't weaken the rest of the roster just to clear up those problems.

The most likely plan:

1. Offer Santana a QO. If he doesn't accept Wren must sign a FA starter that can serve as a solid 2/3, but it can't be another terrible FA contract.
    2. Bring back Bonifacio. He can play mostly in CF while giving Heyward, Justin, TLS, Simmons, CJ, and Freeman (by sliding CJ over to 1B) days off.
    3. Sign a LHed BP arm that can actually get out LHed hitters.
    4. Sign 2-3 reclamation SPs so 1 of them can serve as the 5th starter.
    5. Acquire another bench bat, through trade or FA.

The team retools for another 90 win season and hopefully a playoff berth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves are going to have the exact same offseason they always have. And they are going to do it for good reason...they are a great organization that constantly fields a good team.

It is no mystery the main problem(s) with the current roster is that a HUGE portion of the payroll is taken up by BJ and Uggla who are providing exactly nothing. Since those contracts are THE problem, it would be beyond stupid to shake up the rest of the roster. Sadly there is no fix, so both those contracts are on the book for next year with BJ being a drag for the another few years.

However, you don't weaken the rest of the roster just to clear up those problems.

The most likely plan:

1. Offer Santana a QO. If he doesn't accept Wren must sign a FA starter that can serve as a solid 2/3, but it can't be another terrible FA contract.
    2. Bring back Bonifacio. He can play mostly in CF while giving Heyward, Justin, TLS, Simmons, CJ, and Freeman (by sliding CJ over to 1B) days off.
    3. Sign a LHed BP arm that can actually get out LHed hitters.
    4. Sign 2-3 reclamation SPs so 1 of them can serve as the 5th starter.
    5. Acquire another bench bat, through trade or FA.

The team retools for another 90 win season and hopefully a playoff berth.
    1) Definitely offer Santana- if he signs great if not -- that's great too

2) I've been disapointed in Bonafacio. Learned why he's been with what, 12 teams in the past 3 years !

3) LH Bullpen - has been a problem. Outside of Walden and Kimbrell who has shown any evel of consistancy? Maybe the past few years have spoiled me (shrug)

4) I'd bring back both Harang and Santana. Don't forget, Floyd will be back next season. Hale is fodder -- try to keep Wood. Minor -- I don't know. I remember Glavine at this stage of his career and not at all ready to give up on him yet. Julio is a beast but needs a catcher

5) "A" bat ??? Shoot they need to rework the entire bench. Offer Laird the bullpen and promote Eddie Perez to full time coach

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Offseason Plan of Action in This Order:

1. Fire Fredi: Wakeup call for everyone in that clubhouse. Fredi is incompetant when it comes to in game decisions and doesn't seem to be much of a leader. He's suppose to be Bobby 2.0, but he's not. With so many young players, we need a strong leader who controls the clubhouse. Im not talking a Pinella or Bowa type, but someone that commands respect and is also a good in game manager. Maybe, just maybe, Pendleton is that guy?

2. Fire Walker/Fletcher and replace with a competant option for hitting coach. Do an exhaustive search this time, not hire the first guy that is interviewed that comes across brilliant (aka Parish) or guy that has experience that has George roots (aka Walker). Get the best guy out there.

3. BJ has to go no matter what, no matter what it takes, no matter how much salary we have to eat. The guy is a proven diva and a large part of the problem in the clubhouse, and his on the field production is even worse, when you take into consider that we have enough hitters like him in the lineup, albeit most of them are much more productive.

4. Build the team up the middle. C, 2B, SS, CF. That's where it starts, you need your best defensive players. We have the best fielder at SS, and 2B LaStella is more than competant. Gattis is not an everyday catcher, while we lose offense, its time to give the position to Betancourt. He may have his flaws but the potential is there to be a great defensive catcher that could stop the running game. Need to find a viable option that can cover some ground in CF. Gattis either needs to be moved to the AL or hid in LF.

5. Mix up the approaches of the hitters in the lineups. Too much of the same. CF needs to be replaced with a guy like Markakis, a guy that has a solid approach and good OBP skills. Chris Johnson may need to be replaced depending on what we can do or upgrade at other positions.

6. Find a couple of viable late inning options for the bullpen. Rebuild the bench with guys with flexibility and simple approaches. Find a veteran starter that is going to be productive, eat innings, and be a leader for the youngsters.

I think we're at a stage where it's similiar stage to where we were in the early 90's. I'm sure if scout or this forum we're available back in 1990-1991, JS would have gotten flamed for additions of aging somewhat unproductive veterans like Pendleton, Bream, and Liebrandt. But those guys we're brought in for so much more than on field production, they were all veteran leaders that we're through the wars and mentors to guys like Gant, Justice, Glavine, Avery, & Smoltz, etc. We need to find those pieces to surround Freeman, Heyward, Andleton, Tehran, Wood, Minor, etc.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 08-13-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Offseason Plan of Action in This Order:

1. Fire Fredi: Wakeup call for everyone in that clubhouse. Fredi is incompetant when it comes to in game decisions and doesn't seem to be much of a leader. He's suppose to be Bobby 2.0, but he's not. With so many young players, we need a strong leader who controls the clubhouse. Im not talking a Pinella or Bowa type, but someone that commands respect and is also a good in game manager. Maybe, just maybe, Pendleton is that guy?

2. Fire Walker/Fletcher and replace with a competant option for hitting coach. Do an exhaustive search this time, not hire the first guy that is interviewed that comes across brilliant (aka Parish) or guy that has experience that has George roots (aka Walker). Get the best guy out there.

3. BJ has to go no matter what, no matter what it takes, no matter how much salary we have to eat. The guy is a proven diva and a large part of the problem in the clubhouse, and his on the field production is even worse, when you take into consider that we have enough hitters like him in the lineup, albeit most of them are much more productive.

4. Build the team up the middle. C, 2B, SS, CF. That's where it starts, you need your best defensive players. We have the best fielder at SS, and 2B LaStella is more than competant. Gattis is not an everyday catcher, while we lose offense, its time to give the position to Betancourt. He may have his flaws but the potential is there to be a great defensive catcher that could stop the running game. Need to find a viable option that can cover some ground in CF. Gattis either needs to be moved to the AL or hid in LF.

5. Mix up the approaches of the hitters in the lineups. Too much of the same. CF needs to be replaced with a guy like Markakis, a guy that has a solid approach and good OBP skills. Chris Johnson may need to be replaced depending on what we can do or upgrade at other positions.

6. Find a couple of viable late inning options for the bullpen. Rebuild the bench with guys with flexibility and simple approaches. Find a veteran starter that is going to be productive, eat innings, and be a leader for the youngsters.
    1) Fredi just signed an expensive extension and the Braves dont just fire managers. Especially ones that have posted the record FG has. That ain't gonna happen

2) I think they need to replace all the coaches. Tosca TP, McD. Promote Eddie Perez with new hitting,pitching,positioning and bench coaches

3) Not sure a) who wants him b) who replaces him. There are not a lot of proven top of the order veteran CFers to begin with. Let alone available

4) I'm not sold on LaStella as a long term MLB 2B. I see him leveling out to the level of that Barney kid the Dodger just got from the Cubs or maybe a Billy Ripken.
    He makes a lot of judgement errors in the field. Look at the pop fly he called Heyward off of last night. Granted JHey has priority on that play but Tommy just flat out
    missed the ball. up the middle the Braves have an All-World Defensive SS. That is it. Besides I was shocked to hear/see his production in the 2 hole. A far better hitter at 7 than 2

5) I agree with the mix up part. But the guys you use as examples just aren't available unless the names Kimbrell or Simmons are involved

6) Agree.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-13-2014 at 11:42 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I would definitely like to see Chipper brought onto the staff full time in some capacity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (08-13-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    May I ask why some on here think McDowell needs to go? The guy IMO is a top 3 pitching coach in the game?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (08-13-2014), Garmel (08-13-2014), gtcway (08-13-2014), UNCBlue012 (08-13-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 6m

#Braves great Chipper never struck out 100 times. 3 Braves already have more than 120 K's: BUpton (148), JUpton (124), Johnson (122).

///////////////////

The course of this season I've gone back to hating the idea of strikeouts. JUpton -- maybe. But BUpt or even worse, Johnson !!!
    --

I think the team needs a new day to day approach. I saw Bobby do it - watching FSU football I watched Jimbo Fisher replace all but 2 assistants and win a NC with the new crew.
    McDowell is a fine pitching coach and will land on his feet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    May I ask why some on here think McDowell needs to go? The guy IMO is a top 3 pitching coach in the game?
    Because OBVIOUSLY our pitching is THE problem and not our terrible lineup....not sure how you don't see that.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    One thing I'm going to be curious about a bit is if Peraza plays in the Arizona Fall League and if he plays any 3rd base at all. If he does and plays well enough to show he could be ready for the majors next year, it could, emphasize COULD, give an idea to trade Chris Johnson. I'm not hearing or reading that anywhere as a possibility at the moment, but it could be an idea in the future, IMO.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There is no need to have Chris Johnson on this team. if you could dump him on another team then the Braves need to do that. Nobody is taking BJ. We have to improve at 3B for next season and putting Peraza or LaStella there is the answer.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Is that his problem?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    1) Definitely offer Santana- if he signs great if not -- that's great too

2) I've been disapointed in Bonafacio. Learned why he's been with what, 12 teams in the past 3 years !

3) LH Bullpen - has been a problem. Outside of Walden and Kimbrell who has shown any evel of consistancy? Maybe the past few years have spoiled me (shrug)

4) I'd bring back both Harang and Santana. Don't forget, Floyd will be back next season. Hale is fodder -- try to keep Wood. Minor -- I don't know. I remember Glavine at this stage of his career and not at all ready to give up on him yet. Julio is a beast but needs a catcher

5) "A" bat ??? Shoot they need to rework the entire bench. Offer Laird the bullpen and promote Eddie Perez to full time coach

Glavine at this stage had a cy young award and finished 2nd at age 26.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe