Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Clearly AA and his group saw something. I guess you'd rather them give the prospects whatever they wanted regardless if you believed they were worth it or not.
    If there is a legit bad injury that won’t heal then ok I get it but AA has a track record at not signing top picks. That’s what is concerning to me bc next year whoever we draft we have to sign. Injury or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This draft was a failure. We essentially traded an 8th pick and a year of development for a 9th pick plus we lost out on the chance to sign Hess. I think that's a failure by any measure. It may work out in the end but this is absolutely not a situation anyone in their right mind would choose.

I will say that saying this draft was a failure doesn't necessarily mean AA and co did anything wrong. Sometimes you can do everything right and it still fall apart. But ultimately, this is not how you want things to go.
    I see a lot of under the radar high ceiling raw guys... I don't want the kid if the injury really is a big deal and he wasn't up front and honest about it. I don't think there was a guarantee we would be able to sign Hess so who knows on that

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    plus we lost out on the chance to sign Hess.
    On what planet do you live on that we lost out on signing Hess? The only way we could have signed Hess was if Stewart signed way under slot, which obviously he wasn't willing to do. This comment makes zero sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I see a lot of under the radar high ceiling raw guys... I don't want the kid if the injury really is a big deal and he wasn't up front and honest about it. I don't think there was a guarantee we would be able to sign Hess so who knows on that
    The other picks may work out. Who knows. The issue is we had those other picks no matter what. We lost an 8th pick and a year of development and gained a 9th pick. That's not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    On what planet do you live on that we lost out on signing Hess? The only way we could have signed Hess was if Stewart signed way under slot, which obviously he wasn't willing to do. This comment makes zero sense.
    We may not have signed Hess. What I said was we lost our CHANCE to sign him. When Stewart didn't sign we lost all that bonus pool money and so had zero chance at signing Hess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (07-06-2018)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The other picks may work out. Who knows. The issue is we had those other picks no matter what. We lost an 8th pick and a year of development and gained a 9th pick. That's not a good thing.

We may not have signed Hess. What I said was we lost our CHANCE to sign him. When Stewart didn't sign we lost all that bonus pool money and so had zero chance at signing Hess.
    But, there was a zero chance at signing him anyway bc Stewart wasnt signing for the amount it would take to even get Hess to think about it.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If there is a legit bad injury that won’t heal then ok I get it but AA has a track record at not signing top picks. That’s what is concerning to me bc next year whoever we draft we have to sign. Injury or not.
    Until it cost the Braves draft picks or gives us players not deserving of the pick I won't complain. It could be the Braves really tried to screw him or they were scared off by the injury. Maybe we will find out or maybe we won't. As of now it's not that big of a deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Its pretty obvious the curveball is pretty intensive on the wrist if you have ever been shown how to throw one.... how do you think you get the spin on the ball? It's all in the wrist.

I'll ask again. Is this a long history of wrist injuries derailing curve ballers? I've never heard of a curve baller's career ending based on wrist injuries. Given that most baseball injuries are repetitive stress injuries and the curve ball is an extremely common pitch, you would think that this wouldn't be the first time its come up.

Did this injury occur before or after he had the highest spin rate in the draft class and one of the highest spin rates known in baseball period?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Until it cost the Braves draft picks or gives us players not deserving of the pick I won't complain. It could be the Braves really tried to screw him or they were scared off by the injury. Maybe we will find out or maybe we won't. As of now it's not that big of a deal.
    My nephew has a full ride to play baseball at Mississippi St. I’m gonna see if he can probe Carter and see what happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Interesting note.

Astros drafted Brady Aiken 1-1 and didn’t sign him, next draft, they had 1-2 as a comp pick and drafted Bregman

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Sounds like he may not go to State. Maybe he goes the Juco route to get back in the draft a year sooner.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Interesting note.

Astros drafted Brady Aiken 1-1 and didn’t sign him, next draft, they had 1-2 as a comp pick and drafted Bregman
    In addition, AA and Toronto drafted Beede in 2011 at 1-21 and didn't sign him, and then drafted Marcus Stroman in 2012 at 1-22.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So my thoughts now that I know we offered way less than the 4 mil I originally thought we had.

1. As high as they were on him...the injury must have been a pretty decent one.

2. We can now go after anyone in free agency....lose our late first round pick and STILL have a top ten pick next year.

3. This allows for a little more spacing for our pitchers in the minors (which is cram packed right now).

In the end, if he took the offer....the gamble would have paid off because we would have gotten Hess most likely also. Since he did not...we are set up very nicely next year.

We shall see...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    We signed Victor Vodnik so that's a good get. Tarnok-esque raw but high upside. Not happy about losing Carter but still one of the better drafts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So my thoughts now that I know we offered way less than the 4 mil I originally thought we had.

1. As high as they were on him...the injury must have been a pretty decent one.

2. We can now go after anyone in free agency....lose our late first round pick and STILL have a top ten pick next year.

3. This allows for a little more spacing for our pitchers in the minors (which is cram packed right now).

In the end, if he took the offer....the gamble would have paid off because we would have gotten Hess most likely also. Since he did not...we are set up very nicely next year.

We shall see...
    I believe we still would keep both 1st rounders and lose our 2nd rounder.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Lame.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Disapointed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfect Cell For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-07-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    PC, good to see you back here. Hope things are well.

As for the failure to sign Stewart, I wonder if the Matt Rowland situation of a couple years back played into the thinking. It's of a different scale in terms of dollars, but the Braves went over slot to sign Rowland only to find out he was injured. Rowland is finally pitching again, but his situation may have made the Braves more cautious in regard to these situations. Or, I could be totally off base.

I'm guessing Stewart goes the JC route and is eligible for the draft again next year. Hope he recovers and does well.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-07-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Well...it is disappointing. A top ten pick that you are investing 5 mil into....has to be healthy though.

They definitely are maximizing bonus pool money (not having the third round pick limited us). Who knows....maybe next year we will look back on this and say it was a smart move....OR Stewart might be healthy and go in the top 5. It’s all a gamble in the end.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Well...it is disappointing. A top ten pick that you are investing 5 mil into....has to be healthy though.

They definitely are maximizing bonus pool money (not having the third round pick limited us). Who knows....maybe next year we will look back on this and say it was a smart move....OR Stewart might be healthy and go in the top 5. It’s all a gamble in the end.
    Well, the odds say this is now a lost draft. Sure, there are other possibles who may come through. But if they were that well thought of they would have been drafted higher. This draft relies now pretty much on Jenista developing. I think most agree that Beck likely doesn't have the physical ability. The others are all longshots.

Things might still work out if the hit on next years pick at 9, but disappointing nonetheless and spinning it otherwise is like serving a turd desert with fruit topping - "But look at the cherry on top!"