Page 92 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 428290919293941021421925921092 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Trump’s analysis of people and situations hinges on whether they exalt him. A news organization that challenges him is inevitably “failing.” A politician who pushes back at him is invariably a loser. Middle-school cliques have more moral discernment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/04/o...ol-left-region
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Trump’s analysis of people and situations hinges on whether they exalt him. A news organization that challenges him is inevitably “failing.” A politician who pushes back at him is invariably a loser. Middle-school cliques have more moral discernment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/04/o...ol-left-region
    This was back in August when nobody thought DT'd actually win. Wonder what Krauthammer thinks now.

Columnist and Fox commentator Charles Krauthammer is a board-certified psychiatrist . . . attempted to diagnose what he thinks is wrong with Donald Trump.

Trump’s hypersensitivity and unedited, untempered Pavlovian responses are, shall we say, unusual in both ferocity and predictability.

"This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an 11-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about 10 years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied. He lives in a cocoon of solipsism where the world outside himself has value — indeed exists — only insofar as it sustains and inflates him."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

mossy (02-05-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    C'mon, you have to come with a source more credible than a tabloid.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The source is irrelevant. We have seen major news networks release fake news for the last few years. The bottom line is if the story is accurate or not.
    it's a tabloid

of course it's relevant. lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

CK86 (02-05-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Love the outrage about Trump's comment to o'Reilly about the US not being innocent...

HOW DARE HE SAY THE MOST OBVIOUS THING IN WORLD HISTORY. WE APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-05-2017), Jaw (02-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i have no problem with that part

i do have a problem that he is overall always deflecting or scared to call Putin out. it's beyond strange
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    C'mon, you have to come with a source more credible than a tabloid.
    Daily Mail is a hard one to figure, but it's not a tabloid. They actually had credentialed reporters on both campaign trails this cycle.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Love the outrage about Trump's comment to o'Reilly about the US not being innocent...

HOW DARE HE SAY THE MOST OBVIOUS THING IN WORLD HISTORY. WE APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING
    I have absolutely no problem with him saying that--in fact, I think it should be an acceptable part of public discourse instead of something that people get shamed for. What I object to is that Donald Trump basically mentioned it as a way to excuse state violence and bad actions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Daily Mail is a hard one to figure, but it's not a tabloid. They actually had credentialed reporters on both campaign trails this cycle.
    it's a tabloid for sure

it might have reporters on campaign trails but it's still a tabloid

it has also paid money out for liable cases a bunch of times too

The Daily Mail is a British daily middle-market tabloid newspaper owned by the Daily Mail and General Trust and published in London. ... Its sister paper The Mail on Sunday was launched in 1982.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    it's a tabloid for sure

it might have reporters on campaign trails but it's still a tabloid

it has also paid money out for liable cases a bunch of times too
    Well, I'm not talking about the British edition (which I think is one of the most read papers in tony Britain).

I'm talking about the website, which is what is hugely popular in the United States and the only reason why they received a credential this cycle.

I mean, I struggle with Daily Mail as a reputable source (and never take anything originating from there as the gospel truth unless I can confirm it elsewhere). But I confess, I do read it. Almost every day. Their curation algorithm and site layout are very, very good.
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Well, I'm not talking about the British edition (which I think is one of the most read paper in tony Britain).

I'm talking about the website, which is what is hugely popular in the United States and the only reason why they received a credential this cycle.
    Did you just say it was YUGE?? ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "It's amazing the amount of respect and civility that Trump & admin have shown Russia/Putin when you compare it to how they've treated pretty much everyone else."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I still think it's pretty fair to say that if the only news outlet picking up on what would be a major scandal is best described as "hard to figure out" then perhaps we might want to take that report with a grain of salt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Like Julio, I have no issue with Trump suggesting we might be awful sometimes, but he's literally using that to defend killing political enemies and journalists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i have no problem with that part

i do have a problem that he is overall always deflecting or scared to call Putin out. it's beyond strange
    It is beyond strange.

There's this narrative that he's a master negotiator. There's a parallel narrative that we're going to become ISIS-fighting pals with Russia, and make some kind of grand arms-control/security bargain. Why is it that the master negotiator approaches every other party to negotiation with extreme bluster and hostility, but treats this one with deference that borders on the obsequious?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (02-05-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Why is it that the master negotiator approaches every other party to negotiation with extreme bluster and hostility, but treats this one with deference that borders on the obsequious?
    Isn't this a bit of a Catch-22 though? I mean, honestly, who would you rather he bluster? Enrique Nieto or Vladimir Putin?

We saw 8 years of essentially the exact opposite tact from Obama (kind words for our 'friends' and a stone wall for the former USSR) and nobody found it curious then.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I still think it's pretty fair to say that if the only news outlet picking up on what would be a major scandal is best described as "hard to figure out" then perhaps we might want to take that report with a grain of salt.
    That's a misquote. I didn't say the Daily Mail was "hard to figure out". I said it was "a hard one to figure" ... it has a conservative bent, but is largely just a syndicated content mill (with the exception of scattered reports like the one in question). So, in that sense, it's no different than Daily Kos or Huffington Post except it actually has a legitimate print publication behind it.

Truth be told, you want your news media to be "hard to figure" and not blatantly partisan (like the NYT).
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-05-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Isn't this a bit of a Catch-22 though? I mean, honestly, who would you rather he bluster? Enrique Nieto or Vladimir Putin?

We saw 8 years of essentially the exact opposite tact from Obama (kind words for our 'friends' and a stone wall for the former USSR) and nobody found it curious then.
    That's a false choice. I'd rather people stop rationalizing and making excuses for his behavior.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (02-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

What do those quote marks mean?

Should we have sent Putin a fruit basket after the annexation of Crimea?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'd rather people stop rationalizing and making excuses for his behavior.
    At some point - if it hasn't happened already - most people are likely to stop considering every word, action, or tweet, emanating from DJT as an apocalyptic flare or example of gross misconduct.

That's the danger of crying wolf too early and too often.