Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    LD% increased
    Exit velocity increased
    Hard hit profile improved
    BABIP decreased

Yes, the numbers that are a function of results are not indicative of a better hitter. His batted ball profile showed he had a better year.
    You guys should read up on "batted ball profile" and how to understand the numbers.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You guys should read up on "batted ball profile" and how to understand the numbers.
    Enlighten us.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Isn't the objective of hit ting to make the best contact possible in the majority of situations?
    So you have nothing that suggests a correlation between what you are spouting and actual on the field performance, I see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    So you have nothing that suggests a correlation between what you are spouting and actual on the field performance, I see.
    Are you trying to suggest that hitting the ball harder doesn't lead to a higher BABIP, and thus higher offensive production?

Offensive performance is driven by walk rate, contact rate, hard contact (exit velocity), launch angle, and luck. Hitting the ball harder undoubtedly leads to more expected offensive output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    To be honest, I didn't think an additional explanation was necessary. It's simple logic if you ask me.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Are you trying to suggest that hitting the ball harder doesn't lead to a higher BABIP, and thus higher offensive production?

Offensive performance is driven by walk rate, contact rate, hard contact (exit velocity), launch angle, and luck. Hitting the ball harder undoubtedly leads to more expected offensive output.
    Sounds like you need to read up.

Honestly, the articles giles produced are good, and I get that hard contact is not in itself a good predictor of BABIP and why. And Markakis' FB% definitely did go up. There's some good stuff in there, I need to read more about it.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    To be honest, I didn't think an additional explanation was necessary. It's simple logic if you ask me.
    Tyler Flowers was 11th in average exit velocity last year. Ryan Zimmerman was 14.

There are some conclusions that exit velocity can help you make. But, it is not to be used as "he hit the ball harder, he was a better hitter."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

No, I'm saying hitting the ball harder by itself doesn't necessarily mean anything, offensive production is due to a multitude of factors (of which you mentioned a few of the others in your post). Nick hitting the ball harder in 2016 than he did in 2015 certainly didn't raise his offensive production or his BABIP, and I've never seen any data to show a definite correlation between the two in a direct fashion. GF just posted two solid articles that suggest there is no correlation between hitting the ball harder and performance. If hitting the ball harder is the result of adding negative traits elsewhere then it could actually have a negative impact on offensive performance.

I'm certainly not saying making hard contact is a bad thing, but exit velocity by itself means very little to me as a stand alone. I was actually asking thethe that question because I was curious if he had any data to back up his statement or was just pulling statements out of his butt as he is wont to do at times, because I haven't seen any showing a direct correlation between exit velocity and performance (not that I've looked at it super hard).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Hitting the ball harder is probably correlated with strikeout rate.