Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for Games ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ozzie just barrels the ball. Can't wait to see him in ATL this year.

Didder is in the lineup today, too.
    Young talent is absurdly abundant right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Gio is an interesting comp. Never saw anyone compare the two before, but I can see the similarities...both high K, high BB LHers that struggled with control at similar ages/levels.
    I like the Gio comp. Both are lefties with top of the rotation stuff (at least Gio used to have that) but control issues preventing them from making full use. Still, their pure stuff is almost unhittable and what they give up in BBs they make up for with a low HR rate. I see no reason why Newcomb can't become another Gio even without a big improvement in control.

Lester is the comp you hear a lot but he's got to improve his control a good bit to do it. Still very possible but Gio is probably a better comp at this point. And honestly, I wouldn't complain if he became a Gio Gonzalez. Having a cheap, controllable middle of the rotation starter that can pitch like an ace when he brings his A game is a valuable commodity.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It really isn't close but apparently clvclv has something against Folty. He has things to work on for sure but did make improvements last year which can't be said of Wisler.
    My "something against Folty" is simply that he's AT BEST a league-average starter in his BEST season thus far. The same thing you guys have pointed out several times - he simply hasn't shown himself to be better than that unless you're using the "eye test" (which you don't believe in).

Sure seems that several people seem to be much more concerned that I'm not blowing sunshine up a Braves' players *ss than whether or not that player has accomplished much.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    As long as Colon is healthy and pitching similar to what he's done the last couple years I don't see any reason the Braves would struggle to flip him for something valuable. Either a B level prospect or a upside guy several years away.

Colon churns through innings, helps the bullpen, generally keeps his teams in games and is a solid clubhouse guy -- contenders are always looking for that at the deadline - just a dependable arm they can slot in every 5th day.

Look at what we turned Harrell, Cervanka and Alvarez into last year.... if Colon is pitching like he did last year - I'd think he would have be at least as valuable as Harrell+Alvarez which got us TD.

I doubt Dickey has the same value, he's struggled more recently and you need a catcher comfortable with him.

Garcia is going to get flipped if he stays healthy.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Well, Blaine Boyer had a nice career.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Ozzie just barrels the ball. Can't wait to see him in ATL this year.

Didder is in the lineup today, too.
    I've said it numerous times...he barrels a ball as well as any prospect in the organization. Dansby is a beast, but Albies doesn't take a backseat at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-10-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I've said it numerous times...he barrels a ball as well as any prospect in the organization. Dansby is a beast, but Albies doesn't take a backseat at all.
    You really have to see Ozzie's arms/wrists working to believe it (I know you have). Dude is crazy quick and really puts bat to ball.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-10-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    You really have to see Ozzie's arms/wrists working to believe it (I know you have). Dude is crazy quick and really puts bat to ball.
    I promise you, the first time I saw a pitcher throwing 95 plus, I thought he'd be better off bunting....but then I saw him routinely hit rockets and thought, this little dude is good. I know we have our SS But I saw him get to a ball behind second and he was playing in the hole. Braxton's dad was even saying "wow,". He's just good.

Agreed Julio. Watching him is going to be fun with Dansby.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-09-2017), JohnAdcox (03-09-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (03-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Maybe Garcia. I can't see the other two being worth much to a contending team at the deadline. Dickey is simply an innings eater and Colon is simply an eater.
    Dickey is the least likely to be traded of the three as he has an option and if he pitches well that would be a bargain. If he pitches poorly then he won't be worth much at the deadline as you say. Garcia is a real gamble because he's oft-injured and last year wasn't the Garcia he use to be, folks assert well that was just second half but his first half numbers weren't good either. They just weren't bad like his second half. If he stays healthy I wouldn't expect more than a 3.50 ERA and if traded at the deadline I doubt he brings back any more than we gave up for him. Colon is someone you can trade and probably get the best return at the deadline if he keeps pitching well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Well, Blaine Boyer had a nice career.
    He still may have something left, I thought he was done a few times in the past after poor streaks and he bounced back and caught on somewhere and did better than I expected. So who knows with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    neither guy is over 40 either. To get anything of value for Colon or Dickey, we would need a very hot start, early/mid June trade, and salary eating by Braves.
    I disagree, Braves wouldn't need to eat salary for Dickey at all as he's not making a lot. They would just need him to pick well, plus he has a team option which has value to the Braves and any team he could be traded to assuming he is pitching well (and I am assuming such simply because as you say he would need to be to have said value in a trade). While Colon even with the overpay will be easy to trade just so long as he pitches well. Colon has a track record and teams will consider that and he also a very good team player and someone who helps young pitchers, same is true for Dickey too. So both will have teams that like that about them just so long as pitching well. And given both are on deals that only run through this year minus Dickey's team option there is no risk past this season for anyone trading with us. Garcia may be tougher because of his oft-injured history and he isn't cheap either, when I say tougher I mean due to what we gave up for him. I doubt we can get more in return even if he stays healthy.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    My "something against Folty" is simply that he's AT BEST a league-average starter in his BEST season thus far. The same thing you guys have pointed out several times - he simply hasn't shown himself to be better than that unless you're using the "eye test" (which you don't believe in).

Sure seems that several people seem to be much more concerned that I'm not blowing sunshine up a Braves' players *ss than whether or not that player has accomplished much.
    Yes, a league avg starter at age 24 in his first full season in the bigs. What is the problem with that?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You could tell Albies was special after 2 ABs in A-ball. He's just different.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-10-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Little known fact: Albies is a ghost writer for 2 Chainz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yea, I won't be surprised if his MLB career is better than Swanson even though Swanson has been rated over him in prospect rankings. And I don't mean that as a shot as Swanson, I could see both having very good MLB careers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I wasn't saying you thought we could score a top prospect. We all know that. I just think Colon and Dickey will have a very limited market and if we plan on trading them, then we need to strike at first opportunity.
    Dickey is a knuckleball pitcher and if effective again in the NL he could end up a bargain for this year and next IMO. I would rather hope he has a strong year and keep him. His age isn't an issue on his deal since he's a knuckleball pitcher. Now Colon is getting up there and entering his age 44 season (Dickey only his age 42 season while also being a knuckleball pitcher), so I agree he could fall off at any time. But hopefully he maintains enough velocity and has another good year left in him.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-09-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    There is usually a team like the Rangers last year who's rotation is in shambles and just need somebody to be OK in the rotation for awhile. Colon and Dickey could fill that role.
    True, not only that Rangers already having issues with starters this early on and they had interest in Dickey too but he signed with Atlanta due to location and better contract offer. So we know they like Dickey and could go for Colon and Garcia too if in the same situation again. It seems the Rangers were so set on getting a knuckleball pitcher they got Eddie Gamboa from Tampa Bay after losing out on Dickey. Now due to injury Eddie Gamboa could end up in their starting rotation, he's among the handful of names they're considering according to MLBTR.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-09-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Pagan starting off strong for PR, two more hits today against Colorado. I'd give him an MLB deal and let him be our main 4th outfielder while keeping Boni to back-up CF and rest Inciarte vs a tough lefty on occasion.

If we don't I suspect Washington or someone else will.

BTW, it is surprising to see someone like Pagan only getting minor league offers whereas last year we were willing to give Boni an MLB deal early on before we ended up releasing him and then later bringing him back on a minor league deal.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-09-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Ozzie and Swanson should be fun to watch... our up the middle setup is pretty amazing if they all pan out.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

That's fine except a pitcher his age being league average isn't bad and it was undeniably progress.

It's just odd for you to be low on him given how high you've been on low upside guys who didn't pitch well at all.