Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sneaky 3B Play This Winter

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That is not stupid. FF was serviceable over there and anything to get Kemp out of LF would be a win in my book. Replace FF at 3rd defensively after Kemp's 3rd AB and move FF to 1st.
    I appreciate the support.

If you played 2/3 of Adams, Neck and Kemp at LF and 1B you might have a decent bat, keep these old guys rested and have a solid bench bat. The money is already spent. You could probably move one of Adams or Neck (eating money) and save 4-5 million. I'd prefer to keep them and maybe at the deadline you get lucky to find a deal.

Kemp will probably suck at 1B. But if he has all off season to prepare he might not suck as much as LF. Maybe being a 1B/LF/DH will make him more interesting to a team.

FF with an entire off season to work at 3B might be avg. IMO he mostly looked stiff. But he was coming off an injury and playing a new spot. An off season of yoga might make him ok.

Snit would have to learn what defensive subs are, yes.

It would stunt our ability to find out if Ruiz and/or Comargo are real things or not.

Obviously if someone will take on Kemp at 5 million per year or more then I'd move him (IIRC we owed Olivera 30 million through 19. So if we owe Kemp less than 30 million and finish a year early then I can pretend victory). If someone would take on most of Neck I'd move him.

Use Kemp, Adams and Neck to keep Acuna down for the first part of the year.

Don't spend any money and allow yourselves the chance to take on money if the right deal is there (Touki deal) or you get super lucky and the division sucks enough for you to be a baby buyer at the deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Can't believe I'm saying this but the sneaky 3B fix is Freddie Freeman.

He was ok. Lots of ppl are talking about the devaluation of corner defense w/ everyone hitting the ball in the air or striking out. Put FF at 3B and let Kemp play 1B. Dramatic improvement in your OF defense and doesn't cost any extra money. Move Comargo or Ruiz in for defensive replacement late.
    This isn't a stupid idea at all. You are 100% right about infield defense being marginalized with defensive positioning and the increase in Ks and fly balls.

I think Freeman handled himself at 3B better than anyone could have reasonably expected. I doubt he is as good over a full season as UZR/150 suggests, but I would be willing to bet he wouldn't the the worst defensive 3B in the league.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    FF really doesn't want to play 3B. He offered to do it because he thought it would be in the best interest of the team for a bit, but it's not a long-term, or even medium-term answer.

I have some great Honeybaked Ham sourcing for this, but I can't make it public.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-10-2017), Garmel (10-10-2017), JohnAdcox (10-29-2017), jpx7 (10-28-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    This is a scenario I like as well if everyone was on board. You'd get AB's for Matt Adams as well when Kemp hits the DL. The key would be getting a LF that made all that shifting worth it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This isn't a stupid idea at all. You are 100% right about infield defense being marginalized with defensive positioning and the increase in Ks and fly balls.

I think Freeman handled himself at 3B better than anyone could have reasonably expected. I doubt he is as good over a full season as UZR/150 suggests, but I would be willing to bet he wouldn't the the worst defensive 3B in the league.
    See what happens when you start talking all positive..
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Can't believe I'm saying this but the sneaky 3B fix is Freddie Freeman.

He was ok. Lots of ppl are talking about the devaluation of corner defense w/ everyone hitting the ball in the air or striking out. Put FF at 3B and let Kemp play 1B. Dramatic improvement in your OF defense and doesn't cost any extra money. Move Comargo or Ruiz in for defensive replacement late.
    Would make us really bad defensively for a little bit, but would provide a ton of offense while holding Acuna down early with him at 3B, Kemp at 1B, and Adams (assuming he's not dealt) in LF. Could even play Camargo at 3B and move Freddie back to 1B to keep from playing Kemp more than 4-5 times a week.

Just gotta think we've seen all the Freddie at 3B we're going to see though IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This is a scenario I like as well if everyone was on board. You'd get AB's for Matt Adams as well when Kemp hits the DL. The key would be getting a LF that made all that shifting worth it.
    His name is Ronald Acuna, the guy who will be in the OF opening day no mater what happens this offseason or how inefficient of a move it is.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Nick wouldn't be a bad option if the cost is low enough. I don't see Carmargo, Touki, and Demeritte as a low cost, however. Touki is a clear top 10 prospect for us and Demeritte is borderline as well, imo. Nick simply isn't worth that sort of package with only 2 years of control.
    If Demeritte can help bring back anyone who has proven they can hit major league pitching at all it's a good trade add.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I appreciate the support.

If you played 2/3 of Adams, Neck and Kemp at LF and 1B you might have a decent bat, keep these old guys rested and have a solid bench bat. The money is already spent. You could probably move one of Adams or Neck (eating money) and save 4-5 million. I'd prefer to keep them and maybe at the deadline you get lucky to find a deal.

Kemp will probably suck at 1B. But if he has all off season to prepare he might not suck as much as LF. Maybe being a 1B/LF/DH will make him more interesting to a team.

FF with an entire off season to work at 3B might be avg. IMO he mostly looked stiff. But he was coming off an injury and playing a new spot. An off season of yoga might make him ok.

Snit would have to learn what defensive subs are, yes.

It would stunt our ability to find out if Ruiz and/or Comargo are real things or not.

Obviously if someone will take on Kemp at 5 million per year or more then I'd move him (IIRC we owed Olivera 30 million through 19. So if we owe Kemp less than 30 million and finish a year early then I can pretend victory). If someone would take on most of Neck I'd move him.

Use Kemp, Adams and Neck to keep Acuna down for the first part of the year.

Don't spend any money and allow yourselves the chance to take on money if the right deal is there (Touki deal) or you get super lucky and the division sucks enough for you to be a baby buyer at the deadline.

Kemp will suck at 1b and 1b is involved in more plays than lf.

No reason to expect he'd be less injury prone at 1b.

The correct answer to braves roster problems isn't moving Kemp to a different spot, it's getting him off team.

Separately, Camargo is probably a utility man and I don't think the braves have to find out if he's more. Not an imperative imo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If Demeritte can help bring back anyone who has proven they can hit major league pitching at all it's a good trade add.
    It's not just Demeritte going though. If the offer was Castellanos for Demeritte straight up, I would be on board, though not excited because Castellanos simply isn't that exciting of an overall player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's not just Demeritte going though. If the offer was Castellanos for Demeritte straight up, I would be on board, though not excited because Castellanos simply isn't that exciting of an overall player.
    No interest in Castellanos for me.

MLB trader rumors mentions the White Sox taking on a bad deal to get a prospect. I'd consider Demerritte to dump kemp. Maybe Seymore to dump most of his deal. I'd hate to move a 70 grade fielder with pop but I'm not sure he'll make enough contact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    No interest in Castellanos for me.

MLB trader rumors mentions the White Sox taking on a bad deal to get a prospect. I'd consider Demerritte to dump kemp. Maybe Seymore to dump most of his deal. I'd hate to move a 70 grade fielder with pop but I'm not sure he'll make enough contact.
    Lol, you're going to have to do a lot better than Demeritte to move Kemp.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Lol, you're going to have to do a lot better than Demeritte to move Kemp.
    I know. I'm not thinking they'll take the whole thing. TD is still top 15 in a loaded system. I wouldn't consider moving a top 10 guy to move Kemp.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Another off-the-wall name - Jason Kipnis.

Obviously would take some adjustment, but I'd imagine Kipnis could adjust as well defensively as Phillips did. Not cheap, but probably makes in the same range of what it would cost to sign Frazier. Given the Indians aren't likely to have a place for him to play, maybe we could even get them to eat some money, and given his down year in 2017 he's not likely going to fetch them a top-tier prospect.

Not sure what I'd consider would be a "fair price" to pay for him, but simply another name that would buy sufficient time for the organization to figure out if Riley's actually for real.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Another off-the-wall name - Jason Kipnis.

Obviously would take some adjustment, but I'd imagine Kipnis could adjust as well defensively as Phillips did. Not cheap, but probably makes in the same range of what it would cost to sign Frazier. Given the Indians aren't likely to have a place for him to play, maybe we could even get them to eat some money, and given his down year in 2017 he's not likely going to fetch them a top-tier prospect.

Not sure what I'd consider would be a "fair price" to pay for him, but simply another name that would buy sufficient time for the organization to figure out if Riley's actually for real.
    Thought about Kipnis too, another name is Marwin Gonzalez. Houston has glut of OF's and he isn't starting over Correa/Bregman so he could conceivably be available. Not sure of cost, but is just another possibility.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Thought about Kipnis too, another name is Marwin Gonzalez. Houston has glut of OF's and he isn't starting over Correa/Bregman so he could conceivably be available. Not sure of cost, but is just another possibility.
    Marwin would be great, but I don't think Houston will be looking to move him. He can play everywhere except center and catcher and he became very very valuable this year to a team in contention. I just don't think he is a guy that would be available.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Marwin would be great, but I don't think Houston will be looking to move him. He can play everywhere except center and catcher and he became very very valuable this year to a team in contention. I just don't think he is a guy that would be available.
    He sure did and I agree he is valuable BUT the reason I think he could be available is the fact Houston will need to be finding ways to get Kyle Tucker, Derek Fisher, A.J Reed, Colin Moran and JD Davis at-bats on top of already having Correa/Bregman/Gattis/Altuve/Gurriel/Reddick/Springer/Mac. Just a lot of quality hitters for 9 spots.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Gonzalez was someone I mentioned last winter - given their salary situation, I'm not sure I can see them letting him go, especially with his positional flexibility. Not sure they won't be better served by trading prospect/young bats that they can't find a spot for for pitching instead (kinda like where the Cubs at this point). A Tucker/Fisher/Bukaskaus or Paulino package could land them a Fulmer in return.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-29-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    First I've read this thread in a while. I definitely think the move Kemp to first play is the way to go when needed if he can play there at all. Glad to see Enscheff on board.

Trade Matt Adams. Maybe a couple of other small moves. Have Kemp play some 1B during the Spring. Start the season with Kemp and Markakis in the outfield, Camargo at third. First Kemp hamstring injury moves Markakis to left, Acuna to right. Platoon Kemp back in LF and occasionally at 1B when he comes back. If Camargo is hitting, we are set, if not and we are playing around .500 ball, start playing Kemp at 1B some.

Hopefully that will be easy for our new stats following GM to see. Also hopefully he'll start getting us something for Wisler, Blair, or even Sims. And if a few of our young pitchers look set, we need to move Julio at the trade deadline.