Page 78 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Did they send any money to the Angels with Wells? It would certainly be a coup if we could somehow shed Kemp from the roster. Hopefully, Anthopoulos will be given some leeway on the money end. It always stings when a team has to pay a player to play for another team, but that's the only way out with Kemp. It's not a habit I would want to see the team get into, but sometimes it just has to be done.
    Not to my knowledge. There was no money exchanging hands. Like everything else, you just have to find the right partner. But even adding say 5 million a year to help soften the blow would be a huge win for us.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Did they send any money to the Angels with Wells? It would certainly be a coup if we could somehow shed Kemp from the roster. Hopefully, Anthopoulos will be given some leeway on the money end. It always stings when a team has to pay a player to play for another team, but that's the only way out with Kemp. It's not a habit I would want to see the team get into, but sometimes it just has to be done.
    Took bad money back - saved roughly $11,350,000 the year he was traded, and the Angels paid him 3/$63 million after that season.

Have to remember though, Wells was still passable defensively in CF at that time where Kemp needs to be guarding the water bucket.

With Kopech and Dunning on the horizon, I kinda wonder if a Kemp/Fried offer to the White Sox for Shields would get us out from under him. There's your veteran that doesn't get in the way of Soroka/Wright/Allard, and Suddenly you've got money to spend on Donaldson or Charlie Blackmon next winter depending on what Riley shows you this year. I remember someone mentioning Shields a while back, but don't think it was in that context.

Hold Adams and start him in LF to keep from starting Acuna's clock, and see what AA can get for Matt or Nick closer to the deadline.

That's an awful lot to give up to get out from under Kemp's 2019 money, but it could be worth it in the end. I certainly wouldn't want to take on contracts that wouldn't expire after this year to get rid of him.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-13-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If anybody can get rid of Kemp it will be AA. Nobody thought Vernon Wells could be moved but he did it.
    Excellent point. AA will likely scrap the moronic and tired "we don't pay to get rid of players" mantra the ex-dinosaurs used to chant during cave painting sessions.

AA is probably the best GM we could have realistically expected the Braves to pick. He isn't a cutting edge analytics guy by any means, but he just spent almost 2 years in the Dodgers FO so he must have learned something. Hopefully...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Excellent point. AA will likely scrap the moronic and tired "we don't pay to get rid of players" mantra the ex-dinosaurs used to chant during cave painting sessions.

AA is probably the best GM we could have realistically expected the Braves to pick. He isn't a cutting edge analytics guy by any means, but he just spent some time with the Dodgers so he must have learned something.

I do not understand the rationale of not eating money on Kemp, a player you'd (Hart) had spent the previous paragraph acknowledging wasn't very good. I only assume that was mostly posturing. If not, you were right. It was dumb.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I do not understand the rationale of not eating money on Kemp, a player you'd (Hart) had spent the previous paragraph acknowledging wasn't very good. I only assume that was mostly posturing. If not, you were right. It was dumb.
    The Braves have never eaten money to get rid of a player. They preferred to tie valuable pieces to bad contracts because they were unable to value those pieces properly. Braves Way.

The Braves never gave out no-trade clauses or opt-outs because they refused to acknowledge the fact the 90s were over. Braves Way.

The Braves refuse to understand position prospects are worth more than pitching prospects because they won with 3 HOF pitchers 20 years ago. Braves Way.

The Braves never manipulated service clocks because they didn't understand how much more valuable 600 PAs of a star 27 year old was than 50 PAs of a 20 year old. Braves Way.

That's what I mean by "dinosaur". AA may not be the most analytical guy, but at least he operates in the modern day game of baseball. Hopefully this means the Braves Way will move on from the 90s.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-13-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There are rationales for holding on to Kemp.

1) With proper usage (replaced for defense and base running as appropriate, try to maximize share of at bats against lefties) and rest (sit on day games after night games), he can be healthier and more productive than he was in 2017. With some restoration of value, it might be easier to trade him mid-season or next off-season.

2) Keeping him and Muk gives us a fig leaf for sending Acuna down for a month or so. This is not the strongest justification but I think it comes into play at the margins.

3) The team is lacking in power, and will be even more lacking without Kemp. Again not the strongest justification. I want good players out there period, without giving too much weight to how they are contributing. But at the margins you do want to weigh complementarity of player skill sets.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-14-2017), JohnAdcox (11-13-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (11-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Noticed that in the press conference today McGuirk said he spoke with Manfred and the commish said that the investigation is complete and the resulting penalties will be announced within a fortnight.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Noticed that in the press conference today McGuirk said he spoke with Manfred and the commish said that the investigation is complete and the resulting penalties will be announced within a fortnight.
    This delay is insane. I’m guessing AA/Braves pretty much know what it is at this point.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The Braves have never eaten money to get rid of a player. They preferred to tie valuable pieces to bad contracts because they were unable to value those pieces properly. Braves Way.

The Braves never gave out no-trade clauses or opt-outs because they refused to acknowledge the fact the 90s were over. Braves Way.

The Braves refuse to understand position prospects are worth more than pitching prospects because they won with 3 HOF pitchers 20 years ago. Braves Way.

The Braves never manipulated service clocks because they didn't understand how much more valuable 600 PAs of a star 27 year old was than 50 PAs of a 20 year old. Braves Way.

That's what I mean by "dinosaur". AA may not be the most analytical guy, but at least he operates in the modern day game of baseball. Hopefully this means the Braves Way will move on from the 90s.
    I have to assume this starts this year. I'd be shocked if Acuna isn't kept down now.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Did anyone else's BS detector go off when TM referenced his conversation with Rob Manfred? Can anyone think of a good reason for the delay? Can anyone think of a reason why it isn't because they're still investigating?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    Did anyone else's BS detector go off when TM referenced his conversation with Rob Manfred? Can anyone think of a good reason for the delay? Can anyone think of a reason why it isn't because they're still investigating?
    That’d be a really bold lie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yeah I️ doubt TM is lying about the investigation being complete.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

AA is probably the best GM we could have realistically expected the Braves to pick. He isn't a cutting edge analytics guy by any means, but he just spent almost 2 years in the Dodgers FO so he must have learned something. Hopefully...
    Do we know for certain that was the FO's mantra and not some sort of pressure from ownership?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

Dinosaurs painted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Rosenthal was talking on mlb network a minute ago about AA and our farm system and said IF Maitan is in our farm system soon with the penalty coming and then had a weird look on his face like he already knew something.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Rosenthal was talking on mlb network a minute ago about AA and our farm system and said IF Maitan is in our farm system soon with the penalty coming and then had a weird look on his face like he already knew something.
    Could you rephrase that? I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    That’d be a really bold lie.
    We know MLB interviewed Gordon again just last week. That's not 'weeks ago.' Also seems strange that around the same time as the interview, we heard that the punishment had been delayed until early December.
    Last edited by brian22; 11-14-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Could you rephrase that? I don't quite understand what you're saying.
    Rosenthal did a segment on Alex A becoming our new gm and how great of a farm system he inherited. Then he made a remark and said even if Maitan wasn’t in it and made a weird face like he knew something.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-14-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    Could easily have been referring to a certain phase of the investigation - Hart's involvement, etc. - without meaning everything has been wrapped up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Shanks says the Braves haven't interviewed a single GM candidate.
    Remember that time BS said this? Good times.