Page 100 of 109 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    The Georgia Dome was imploded and so were the Braves. Bad day in Atlanta that will be felt for years to come. Liberty could end the suffering by pulling the plug on another 15-20 million with payroll reduction to under 100mil. Farm system goes from top to middle.

Don't understand the Pausan and Bae restrictions. That seems to be an overreach.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Dave obrien posted a quote from Blakley on twitter. He says he is investigating his options now, says he acted specifically at the direction of his "supervisors"....

Yes that is plural
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The good news here is that once the Braves can finally dip back into international waters the Braves will have a new TV deal to keep those guys in Atlanta. Perfect timing guys!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Lol arguing semantics.

It is a fact Coppy was sacrificed by Hart in an attempt to save himself. Call it whatever you want.

It’s clear there was factional infighting in the FO between the dorks and dinosaurs.

It’s clear Hart tried to save himself by firing Coppy and have him sign an NDA.

It’s clear Hart’s plan didn’t work and he was eventually fired.

It’s clear they missed revenue projections and payroll will decrease next year.

I don’t care what you want to call it.
    It's clear Hart was fired for one reason only. And we currently seeing the consequences of his actions. He was offered a NDA and a severance package to keep them from cooperating with the investigation in an attempt to mitigate the punishment.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Seems like there's extra venom in this penalty. I wonder if this is all on Coppy or did MLB reveal they had also grown sick and tired of JS's self-congratulatory spiel about "the Braves way".
    I think it goes back to Ted Turner as well. The other owners hated Ted with a passion and the MLB television deals went out of their way to screw the Braves (something about the TBS connection).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Runnin (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Please, just don't let Maitan sign with an NL East team or the frigging Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox. Hopefully Dayton Moore scoops these guys up like he does every other former Brave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    And MLB barely mentions it on the mlb.com homepage.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Please, just don't let Maitan sign with an NL East team or the frigging Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox. Hopefully Dayton Moore scoops these guys up like he does every other former Brave.
    I'm sure Maitan is going to sign with whatever team is not in the penalty right now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Fine, but I want every other team investigated as thoroughly as the Braves were.

Then I want anyone guilty of wrongdoing punished equally as harshly.
    This 100%...unreal that everyone is not investigated with the same fine tooth comb...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This is hardly rationalizing, but it seems to be on the mark that Maitan's early returns have not come close to matching the outlook. He's gotten bigger and thicker faster than anyone would have guessed and is already an inadequate shortstop. Bat was nothing thrilling.
    I'm much more upset at losing Gutierrez and Severino. Guessing that there are 2-3 future major leaguers in the FA group, nothing more.
    Will be very curious is any of them settle for smaller bonuses than what Braves paid out.
    Exactly...Maitan didn’t bother me as much as the other two...wow this fricken sucks.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So to sum it up...all the other teams that cheated got away with it...except us. They released all of our signings which most big market teams will swoop up. So, the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgers just got stronger. You think they would have done this to one of the teams I just mentioned?? Not a chance...not a friggin chance.

The thing the blows my mind...we could have just went over the cap and not signed anyone this year (which were all $300k guys anyway), and been fine. 80% of the guys we lost today...we could have just given them whatever and been fine. No...we had to double down.

Maybe we should just blow it up and start over. Say “Ok MLB...if you are to do this to us for the next three years then we’ll just tank and have the #1 pick EVERY year”. Oh, and you can just suck on your revenue sharing you would have gotten from us. Trade FF, Ender, Julio, Nick, Folty...anyone over 25. We aren’t going to win as is now anyway...this will cripple our depth.

I’m so mad. What was loosing the third rounder about?? Wasn’t this all International crap??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

CK86 (11-24-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    In late on this thread.

Blown away that MLB made an example out of us, basically strip mined the lower minors.

Considering they took our 2016 class and we couldn’t much in 2017 and now we have restrictions thorugh 2020, that’s an absurd amount of talent that we just don’t have access to. Still can’t quite figure out why we lost a 3rd round pick when everyone seems to agree Coppy was never serious about the draft shenagains.

Sigh.

At least it’s over and we know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    What sickens me is the contrition of the front office and ownership. No fight at all. Makes them such an easy target for MLB. Manfred just gave McGurik a wedgie and then slapped McGurik with his own hands asking "Why you hitting hitting yourself?"

No wonder this team is a dumpster fire.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-22-2017), weso1 (11-21-2017)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I’m still dumbfounded. I thought they’d go overboard but this is beyond reason. These things are common and we got a grossly unfair deal. I guess Manfred is a Goodell type tyrant.

Just out of curiosity is if known who the snitch was? Was it Blakely or one of the scouts.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

weso1 (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Lol arguing semantics.

It is a fact Coppy was sacrificed by Hart in an attempt to save himself. Call it whatever you want.

It’s clear there was factional infighting in the FO between the dorks and dinosaurs.

It’s clear Hart tried to save himself by firing Coppy and have him sign an NDA.

It’s clear Hart’s plan didn’t work and he was eventually fired.

It’s clear they missed revenue projections and payroll will decrease next year.

I don’t care what you want to call it.
    Not only is that not a fact it’s almost as silly as your former theory.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-21-2017)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Braves statement on the penalties:

As we expressed last week, our organization has not lived up to the standard our fans expect from us and that we expect from ourselves. For that, we apologize. We are instituting the changes necessary to prevent this from ever happening again and remain excited about the future of Braves baseball. We do not plan to comment further.

Oh, for THAT you apologize, and no further comments. Well, **** you, Braves. You just lost fans 13 prospects, a draft pick, and years worth of future competitiveness. You haven't "lived up to our standards"? No, you ****ing betrayed the trust and loyalty your fans placed in you, and are passing it off as "our bad, sorry, won't happen again". You ****ing owe your fans, you ****ty corporate douchebags. Expand the budget to $150M and go crazy on the free agent market these next couple years to show us that you care about us. And I get they may be making such a succinct message due to pending or possible litigation, but this statement just reinforces for me that they are a ****ty organization. Excuse all my French. I'm still pissed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

drewdat (11-22-2017)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Maybe Coppy can get a job as a produce clerk at Publix now, since his baseball days are over.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    The Georgia Dome was imploded and so were the Braves. Bad day in Atlanta that will be felt for years to come. Liberty could end the suffering by pulling the plug on another 15-20 million with payroll reduction to under 100mil. Farm system goes from top to middle.

Don't understand the Pausan and Bae restrictions. That seems to be an overreach.
    They had agreements in place to pay them more than their allotted cap.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Well, no other way to describe today’s events for Braves fans other to say that it sucked. John Coppoella, Gordon Blakey, and John Hart have now taken their place along with the likes of John Rocker, Dan Kolb, and Melky Cabrera as among the most disliked people in recent Braves history. Another case in point that the actions of a few affect many others.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow. Unreal to us fans that there are those in the organization who were willing to cheat and potential consequences be danged. I know we want to be mad at MLB for making an example of the Braves, but if Coppy and company didn’t do what they are charged with doing, we’re not having this conversation. It’s over. It’s done with. The Braves have gotten the punishment, but it is us, the fans, who suffer. Because we were betrayed and will also be the target of mocking from Nationals, Phillies, Mets, and all 25 Marlins fans.

So what can we do as fans? Certainly demand more accountability from those in charge, but other than that, just continue to cheer on our team. It sounds simple, but that’s the reality. No amount of yelling and anger is going to change the past or the results of it. The higher ups know the fans feel betrayed and are angry. The pressure is on Terry McGuirk. It’s now his job to win the trust back from the fans.

We’ve heard the past couple of years about a return to “The Braves Way”. That is now dead and gone. Today’s punishment basically pulled the plug on that. With Hart gone and the influence of Scherholtz and Cox getting less by the day, a new direction is sorely needed. Hopefully, the hire of Alex Anthopoulos is a step in that direction. He’s widely regarded as a great baseball man in many circles. Hopefully, he’s the right man to lead the Braves out of this.

Clearly, today was a very negative day. One of the worst days in Atlanta Braves history. So, what are any positive vibes we can have right now? Definitely nothing in the punishment. Even with the losses today, the farm is still strong. There is still young talent in Albies and Swanson. We have potentially a big time player about to come up in Acuna. The pitching coming up from the minors is still solid. Allard, Fried, Toussiant, Anderson, Wentz, I mean, that’s not too shabby. Even in today’s negative, good things I believe, are still ahead.

I know I’m rambling, but I just had to get this out in the open. It’s said often it’s the darkest before the dawn. Hopefully, that is also the case for the Atlanta Braves and their fans.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (11-22-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think it goes back to Ted Turner as well. The other owners hated Ted with a passion and the MLB television deals went out of their way to screw the Braves (something about the TBS connection).
    Dude, you KNOW it's going to be either the Yankmees or the Red Sox. It's as if that goat blowing piece of **** Roger Gooddell is moonlighting in dishing out MLB punishment since he did such a great, fair, and impartial job of it in the NFL.