Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Couldn't agree more, can't wait to see him..Kinda glad Albies didn't get the call first since imo he will be the better player over their careers and his clock won't be started but I'm hoping Swanson exceeds my expectations.
    If Ozzie is gonna be here opening day next year his clock won't matter vs. Dansby's
    Forever Fredi

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm surprised that so many others are surprised by this move. I assumed all along he'd be the opening day SS in 2017 and help bring in the new ballpark. Bringing him up now just gives him the experience to get his feet wet, so he can be productive from early on in 2017.

The goal is to put buts in the seats in 2017, and introduce everyone who lives outside of the perimeter to some of the joys of trendy inside the perimeter dining and nightlife. That complex is a cash cow. The quicker we accept that the quicker you can start looking at moves from the revenue side of things. Yes, we may or may not lose a year of eligibility depending on how the new CBA is written, but the money we can generate in 2017 may make that a moot point. I know some don't like it, but this is an entertainment industry. I'm actually trying to move some things around so I can go to the game tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Remember that guy Alex Bregman that many here were fellatiating? He was hitting .333/.373/.641 at AAA and through 100 at bats in the majors he is hitting like Atlanta Melvin. It's not as simple as just waiting for a prospect to put up big stats in the high minors. I remember when fans would call for every prospect being called up because "we have to see wut we got" because they knew nothing about service time. How times change.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'm glad he was called up. We need to see what we can get out of the guy defensively - especially since he's SUPPOSED to be our starting SS for years to come.

What lineup do you think we will see today? I think it would be fun to do this:

Realistically, I bet they'll put Swanson 6-7... it is our FO.

Inciarte CF
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    Kemp LF
    Markakis RF
    Garcia 3B
    Peterson 2B
    Recker C

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'm glad he was called up. We need to see what we can get out of the guy defensively - especially since he's SUPPOSED to be our starting SS for years to come.

What lineup do you think we will see today? I think it would be fun to do this:

Realistically, I bet they'll put Swanson 6-7... it is our FO.

Inciarte CF
    Swanson SS
    Freeman 1B
    Kemp LF
    Markakis RF
    Garcia 3B
    Peterson 2B
    Recker C
    I'd go with that. Ender and Freeman have been hot. Put the kid in a position to succeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Remember that guy Alex Bregman that many here were fellatiating? He was hitting .333/.373/.641 at AAA and through 100 at bats in the majors he is hitting like Atlanta Melvin. It's not as simple as just waiting for a prospect to put up big stats in the high minors. I remember when fans would call for every prospect being called up because "we have to see wut we got" because they knew nothing about service time. How times change.
    Benintendi was at .312/.378/.532 in the minors. He's at .341/.386/.439 in Boston.

Bregman seems to be coming on a little now. Last 7, .267/.324/.467.

I'm not sure what any of this proves other than no one really knows what Swanson will do early. I think there's a consensus that he'll be a good player long term though, so I really don't care if he struggles some at first.

BTW, bregman and benintendi were both drafted with Swanson, so the braves aren't the only team making this huge mistake
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-17-2016 at 06:10 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    But they go to the FanGraphs site every day.
    They're fantasy league team owners too. That makes them "experts."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-17-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think it's now beyond clear that they were planning on giving the keys to SS to Swanson from opening day next year. If that is a given, I see no problem with bringing him up now. He supposedly has 80 grade makeup, so I seriously doubt anything that could happen to him at the MLB level will hinder his development.

The argument should be whether or not he should have been counted on to start the year at SS next year.

If keeping him down for 2-3 weeks in 2017 gains an extra year of control then it was quite obviously a terribly shortsighted move done explicitly to sell tickets. In that scenario it is a truly indefensible move.

However, if the new CBA makes it so players need to be kept down in the minors for 3+ months to gain the extra year, suddenly this early promotion makes very little difference. There was likely zero chance the Braves would have kept Swanson at AAA for half the season anyways, so calling him up now loses the team no years of control.

I wouldn't be surprised if JS was privy to some info that strongly suggests the CBA will dramatically change the service time rules, and that inside knowledge was partly behind Swanson's promotion.
    Interesting thought, and a good post.

Glad to see you're back on your meds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    I can't reply to every single post but to all the negative posters, why don't you let the winter play out before making pronouncements about '17 and beyond. There are not just free agents out there but trades could be made as well. We are probably looking at 1/3 roster turnover or better.
    You can keep telling them until you're blue in the face, but it will never make a difference. Hypothetical rosters through 2020 will still be posted of batting lineups & pitching staffs, featuring only current assets in the Braves system.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Benintendi was at .312/.378/.532 in the minors. He's at .341/.386/.439 in Boston.

I'm not sure what any of this proves other than no one really knows what Swanson will do early. I think there's a consensus that he'll be a good player long term though, so I really don't care if he struggles some at first.

BTW, bregman and benintendi were both drafted with Swanson, so the braves aren't the only team making this huge mistake
    Except Houston and Boston are fighting for playoff spots which those two are trying to help with. I'm not really opposed to this move but why wouldn't you want to wait a couple of weeks to gain an extra year before FA? Only two legit options come to mind. They don't want Albies and Swanson on the same clock and they plan to move Albies up in the middle of 2017 or the CBA is going to change how service time works. And as ensheff said JS may know a little bit about that. Time will tell.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If Albies was sent down to AA to work with Swanson and Omar Infante just got released....Will Albies be called up to AAA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If Albies was sent down to AA to work with Swanson and Omar Infante just got released....Will Albies be called up to AAA?
    I hope so. Albies has nothing to prove at AA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    About 20 games left, so makes sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Swanson probably isn't ready to be successful in the majors. But that's okay. Calling him up now has some benefits. First, there's not a ton of pressure right now. Next April with the new park and a high likelihood of some major additions, there's going to be more pressure to win. Letting Dansby adjust to the majors while there's no need for him to instantly produce is a good thing. He'll be better prepared for next spring.

I think this callup also might dovetail nicely with an AFL trip. Give him a taste of the bigs, show him what it's going to take for him to be successful, and then send him to the AFL to work on what he needs to in order to succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie got the call September 1. Trading Aybar opened a spot for Dansby a little sooner but I see no reason why Albies shouldn't be up playing second as soon as the rosters expand and give him a spot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Swanson probably isn't ready to be successful in the majors. But that's okay. Calling him up now has some benefits. First, there's not a ton of pressure right now. Next April with the new park and a high likelihood of some major additions, there's going to be more pressure to win. Letting Dansby adjust to the majors while there's no need for him to instantly produce is a good thing. He'll be better prepared for next spring.

I think this callup also might dovetail nicely with an AFL trip. Give him a taste of the bigs, show him what it's going to take for him to be successful, and then send him to the AFL to work on what he needs to in order to succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie got the call September 1. Trading Aybar opened a spot for Dansby a little sooner but I see no reason why Albies shouldn't be up playing second as soon as the rosters expand and give him a spot.
    I would love to see a September lineup with Albies and Swanson in it. Think Ruiz could get some starts too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Except Houston and Boston are fighting for playoff spots which those two are trying to help with. I'm not really opposed to this move but why wouldn't you want to wait a couple of weeks to gain an extra year before FA? Only two legit options come to mind. They don't want Albies and Swanson on the same clock and they plan to move Albies up in the middle of 2017 or the CBA is going to change how service time works. And as ensheff said JS may know a little bit about that. Time will tell.
    I would think it cuts the other way. We're not in a race, so this is a very good time to get your feet wet.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I would love to see a September lineup with Albies and Swanson in it. Think Ruiz could get some starts too?
    Dobut it. The problem right now is 40 man roster space. That's the one thing I could see preventing even Albies from getting called up. By my count, we currently have one open spot on the 40 man roster (assuming we DFA Aviles which I think we will). If Williams Perez comes back this year, we'll need a spot for him as he's currently on the 60 day DL.

If we DFA Aviles and no one comes off the 60 day DL, we'll have a spot to add one guy not currently on the 40 man. That would mean either Albies or Ruiz could be added and called up and I think Albies is the more likely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts

While I understand the likelihood of MLEs, every now and then a player outhits his minor league record. It's a decent bet Swanson is one of those. I like his quick swing and easy gap power, and think it will transition well to the major leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Dobut it. The problem right now is 40 man roster space. That's the one thing I could see preventing even Albies from getting called up. By my count, we currently have one open spot on the 40 man roster (assuming we DFA Aviles which I think we will). If Williams Perez comes back this year, we'll need a spot for him as he's currently on the 60 day DL.

If we DFA Aviles and no one comes off the 60 day DL, we'll have a spot to add one guy not currently on the 40 man. That would mean either Albies or Ruiz could be added and called up and I think Albies is the more likely.
    Yeah, I don't think this hampers Albies any. It does matter with Ruiz, but I don't think we're missing anything there.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Andruw was, IIRC, coming off two MiLB Player of the Year seasons. Chipper was ready out of the box.

More to the point, I think the question is less if he's being rushed than if it's wise to start his clock—before, per Hart, he's ready—before we're further on the rebuilding curve. It's hard to find an analog for that among position players in recent memory.
    Andruw also came up in August and had earned it by hitting .339/.421/.652 through 3 levels in the minors and was a clear upgrade on the roster for the playoff run. Chipper originally came up when rosters expanded. Furcal came out of nowhere. I really didn't know much about him, but he was in an improvement on a competing team.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe