Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 mess

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Rule 5 mess

Noticed a chart on Twitter for the 2017 rule 5 draft. If we don't make a few trades, there will be a bunch of talented guys that will be on the rule 5 list. This is the down side of having such a deep farm. Coppy will really need to get creative after this year, to keep us from loosing talent.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Noticed a chart on Twitter for the 2017 rule 5 draft. If we don't make a few trades, there will be a bunch of talented guys that will be on the rule 5 list. This is the down side of having such a deep farm. Coppy will really need to get creative after this year, to keep us from loosing talent.
    Are you saying after this season, there are a lot of guys that need to be added to the 40 man.. because I don't think but 1 or 2 on our top 30 need to be added if I am remembering correctly.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Could you share the list you saw? This is the quick list I came up with (I'm sure some are missing): Albies, D. Peterson, Gohara, Demeritte, Sanchez, Pike

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Could you share the list you saw? This is the quick list I came up with (I'm sure some are missing): Albies, D. Peterson, Gohara, Demeritte, Sanchez, Pike
    Albies will, but I don't think he has to.

What ML team is going to take Sanchez in the Rule 5 draft?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post

Padres. Maybe others. I think the Padres would take 16 year olds in the Rule 5 at this point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

zedsdead (07-28-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (07-28-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I think we are ok this year, but from this year going forward....it will be tough to protect everyone. We will likely loose some really good guys in future years.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I don't think Albies has to go on. This is only his fourth year. I think Sanchez is in the same boat. I will admit I'm not sure on how international signings are handled. Gohara, Du. Peterson, Pike, and Demeritte all have to go on or be made available in the Rule 5. Braves will likely have a few open spots due to departing FAs (Phillips, Suzuki, Motte) and a few guys that they will probably flat-out drop from the 40-man (L. Adams, J. Peterson, M. Johnson, Hursh, Burgos, perhaps Garcia and/or Cabrera). Of course, Winkler, Rivero, and Lindgren have to come back on the 40-man as well, so there will be some shuffling. It would be nice to unload a couple of guys at the deadline to free up off-season space.

Looking at the list, R-P Didder should also be on it unless it is limited to first-timers.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-28-2017 at 10:36 AM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We are going to make a big trade. They are itching. We have a glut of guys.

The question is for whom? Who will we give up? Will it be super stupid, stupid or not stupid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't think Albies has to go on. This is only his fourth year. I think Sanchez is in the same boat. I will admit I'm not sure on how international signings are handled. Gohara, Du. Peterson, Pike, and Demeritte all have to go on or be made available in the Rule 5. Braves will likely have a few open spots due to departing FAs (Phillips, Suzuki, Motte) and a few guys that they will probably flat-out drop from the 40-man (L. Adams, J. Peterson, M. Johnson, Hursh, Burgos, perhaps Garcia and/or Cabrera). Of course, Winkler, Rivero, and Lindgren have to come back on the 40-man as well, so there will be some shuffling. It would be nice to unload a couple of guys at the deadline to free up off-season space.

Looking at the list, R-P Didder should also be on it unless it is limited to first-timers.
    I think you are correct. Gohara (signed in 2012) will have to be added. Albies and Sanchez (signed in 2013) will not.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Albies not having to go on increases chances he isn't brought up this year, IMO. Especially if we have those guys who have to go on.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    We are going to make a big trade. They are itching. We have a glut of guys.

The question is for whom? Who will we give up? Will it be super stupid, stupid or not stupid?
    As long as its not our top guys, making some trades makes sense. Make the trades we need to, not the ones that are rushing the rebuild.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-28-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think you are correct. Gohara (signed in 2012) will have to be added. Albies and Sanchez (signed in 2013) will not.
    So, for everyone unhappy about the Gohora promotion...this makes since. He will have to be on the 40 man, so of course they would push him more than they normally would.

It's scary when your late 20's guys could be in some teams top 10. Rule 5 drafts are about to be a very dreaded event for us. Especially 2018 & 2019...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    So, for everyone unhappy about the Gohora promotion...this makes since. He will have to be on the 40 man, so of course they would push him more than they normally would.

It's scary when your late 20's guys could be in some teams top 10. Rule 5 drafts are about to be a very dreaded event for us. Especially 2018 & 2019...
    Yes... Suggests that some guys, like Gohara and Demerrite will be pushed to either earn their spot, or be moved on to make room for younger guys with higher perceived upsides. Also, spare parts like Jace, Micah, Santana, etc. will be easier to let go as there will be a young guy waiting in the wings for a chance..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Sorry for the confusion guys. As many times as I've looked up Rule 5 eligibility, I can never seem to remember all the details. It's based on number of seasons and not number of years from signing date. So for Albies and Sanchez (who signed at age 18 or younger), it's been 5 years since they signed, but they're only in their 4th season . . . so they won't need to be protected this Fall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I don't see any sort of significant 40-man roster crunch this off-season. Where there will be some issues will be next spring training where we will have quite a few guys on the bubble who have already used up their options. But these are last man in the pen or last man on the bench type players. It will make for some interesting choices but we won't be losing anyone who is potentially a major contributor.

We may be able to use these guys to delay the start of the service clocks for Albies and Acuna. Ideally, I would like those two to start 2018 in the minors. I don't think Albies needs any more seasoning so I would bring him up relatively early in 2018. With Acuna, I think it depends on the start he gets off to. I would especially watch his strikeout rate numbers. They have not been bad in his time in AA and AAA this year, but I would like to see them come down a little.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-29-2017 at 12:19 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

It won't necessarily have to be if they start trading for major league help or trading older prospects for younger ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It won't necessarily have to be if they start trading for major league help or trading older prospects for younger ones.
    It is unlikely that we face any significant issues with losing players in the Rule 5 draft in the next two or three years. Part of the reason I say this has to do with how fast our top prospects are moving through the minors. Guys like Albies, Acuna, Soroka, Allard and Wright are likely to be playing in the majors before there is a technical need to protect them on the 40-man roster.

"I am your retribution."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-29-2017)