Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What would Ender bring in a trade

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I was just thinking that Law must not have subscribed to the Black Jesus as a 6 WAR player because of defense theory. Normally I agree with his opinions, but he's full of **** on this one.
    That theory got picked on here and self-perpetuates. Ditto with the Mallex Smith and Inciarte were "similar players" talking points.

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Shame, embarrassment and another three years of 70 win seasons.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chipper For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I certainly wasn't advocating for trade. This was meant to be more of a thought exercise as we wait for the offseason. I was secretly hoping Enscheff would do a surplus value breakdown with an intersting proposal.

For instance, how would Happ stack up as a trade chip for Ender? Is he an overpay or not enough? I know the Cubs have inquired about Ender before.
    Ender is roughly a league average hitter whose defense has already entered its decline phase. He is currently a 3.5 win player, and that value will probably level off and start declining.

That means he could be projected for ~13 wins over the next 5 seasons at a cost of $36M. Surplus value in the $90M-$100M range.

Happ for Inciarte is the type of trade the Braves would have to make if they want to avoid pushing the rebuild back another couple years. However, that all assumes Acuna is adequate in CF, and I'm not sure where that notion came from.

If Mallex were still in the organization, trading Ender for a player at another position of need would have made some sense. In fact, it's a move I suggested. Now that Mallex was traded for even more pitching, trading Ender isn't really an option any longer.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-10-2017), jpx7 (09-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ender is roughly a league average hitter whose defense has already entered its decline phase. He is currently a 3.5 win player, and that value will probably level off and start declining.

That means he could be projected for ~13 wins over the next 5 seasons at a cost of $36M. Surplus value in the $90M-$100M range.

Happ for Inciarte is the type of trade the Braves would have to make if they want to avoid pushing the rebuild back another couple years. However, that all assumes Acuna is adequate in CF, and I'm not sure where that notion came from.

If Mallex were still in the organization, trading Ender for a player at another position of need would have made some sense. In fact, it's a move I suggested. Now that Mallex was traded for even more pitching, trading Ender isn't really an option any longer.
    They already chose between them and traded the odd man out for what they thought might be a front line starter / leverage reliever at a minimum.

Those two guys were not going to play together. It's valid to question whether they chose the right guy. Probably chose the surer bet that they got a good deal on an extension for.

Ending the rebuild will to some degree mean leaving a core a place. Maybe they should have kicked it down the road a bit and chosen to see if Mallex worked out. The return on Ender maybe would have been better.

I guess he could still be moved, but I wouldn't expect it to happen until Pache was closer. Pache is being rated the best CF in the minors from what I read and maybe a best in baseball candidate. If his offense plays up a little Inciarte will be very expendable. But not until then, I don't think.