Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Swanson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    A year ago we thought that the pitching would be good and our hitting would suck. Now it's looking like the opposite. Swanson, Albies, Freeman, Inciarte, and Acuna is looking like a very very good foundation for the offense. If we can add a hitter like say Donaldson we'd be in excellent shape.
    We have had fewer top position prospects but as a group the yield has been very good. The yield on the first wave of pitching has been very poor. In general the yield on position prospects in any given ranking bucket tends to be better than pitching prospects in the same ranking bucket.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We have had fewer top position prospects but as a group the yield has been very good. The yield on the first wave of pitching has been very poor. In general the yield on position prospects in any given ranking bucket tends to be better than pitching prospects in the same ranking bucket.
    Good thing they grabbed so many pitchers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Good thing they grabbed so many pitchers!
    There are a few things I would say about that:

1) You need both pitchers and hitters. Pitching prospects are more risky and have a lower yield. It is not clear whether this implies a team should invest more or less in pitchers.

2) Teams do have comparative advantages relative to other teams. The theory of international trade says specialize in your comparative advantage. The Braves strongly believe they have a comparative advantage in pitching. The data do not support this (including the return on the first wave of pitching prospects and the hitters in this rebuild). From a comparative advantage perspective, I think we are probably making a mistake in specializing so strongly in pitchers.

3) Partly due to the age at which they are signed, the yield on hitters is relatively better for international signings and relatively better for pitchers in the draft. I think the Braves have this part figured out.

4) The yield in different draft segments (first round, early after first round, middle, and late) varies quite a bit by type (HS pitcher, HS position, college pitcher, college hitter). The one area where the Braves have been somewhat wasteful is their tendency to take HS pitchers in the early rounds after the first (the supplemental, second and third rounds to be specific). They have taken a lot of HS pitchers in this part of the draft with very little to show for. Wentz might turn out to be an exception. But generally they have gotten better yields when they have gone away from HS pitchers in that part of the draft.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    nascapi, kind of dismissive of what Soroka has done up until now, aren't you?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Does Wilson count towards this? If so Wilson,Wentz, Soroka is a good prospect value yield, as in national recolonization, so far. But maybe I misunderstood the criteria.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    he was a first round pick...within the top 30

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Does Wilson count towards this? If so Wilson,Wentz, Soroka is a good prospect value yield, as in national recolonization, so far. But maybe I misunderstood the criteria.
    Wilson was a 4th rounder...the four buckets i looked at were first round (top 30), early (#31 to end of third round), middle (rounds 4-10) and late

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Oh, my mistake. So from the two drafts we can start to evaluate it would be Muller,Wentz, and Guardado, correct? Tarnok we can at least get a better idea of next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Oh, my mistake. So from the two drafts we can start to evaluate it would be Muller,Wentz, and Guardado, correct? Tarnok we can at least get a better idea of next year.
    yes...i looked at this over many years...going back to the pre-wren drafts...we have never done well with HS pitchers in that part of the draft...Tom Glavine (2nd round 1984) being a notable exception

I'll list the ones we've taken since 2000 in that part of the draft (not all have been busts, but the yield has not been good when compared to other types of players we have taken such as HS position players in the same rounds): Bubba Nelson, Digby, Boyer, Charlie Morton, Atilano, Bacot, Stevens, Reyes, Harrison, Beau Jones, Lyman, Rasmus, Evarts, Locke, DeVall, Stovall, Spruill, Chad Rodgers, Salazar, Fulenchek, Guardado, Wentz, Muller, Tarnok.

We have taken significantly fewer HS hitters in that part of the draft, but they have included Freeman, McCann, Saltalamacchia, Kelly Johnson. We have also done better with college pitchers (Wood, Kimbrel being the most impressive) in far fewer picks. We also have taken fewer college hitters, but included in that group are Simmons and Ahmed.

In spite of a poor yield among HS pitchers taken in those rounds, we have persisted in favoring them over all the other "demographic groups" in that part of the draft. Time for a change I would say.

If you want to focus on just the 2015-2017 draft, in the portion I'm looking at (pick #31 to end of round 3), we have taken 4 HS pitchers (Guardado, Wentz, Muller, Tarnok), 3 HS hitters (Waters, Riley, Herbert), 2 college pitchers (Minter and Harrington) and 1 college hitter (Cumberland).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-11-2017 at 09:18 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Hawk (09-10-2017), jpx7 (09-11-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    While the Braves have had fewer position prospects (at least in the last couple of years) they have been all higher ranked than any of the pitching prospects. Swanson, Acuna, and Albies in particular have all been top 10 at one point by a mainstream source. I think Newk has been the highest pitching guy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    While the Braves have had fewer position prospects (at least in the last couple of years) they have been all higher ranked than any of the pitching prospects. Swanson, Acuna, and Albies in particular have all been top 10 at one point by a mainstream source. I think Newk has been the highest pitching guy.
    true...though Acuna and Albies were not always so highly ranked

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    We are also seeing the league starting to feed him 25%+ sliders, and his wOBA dropping again because of it.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx...pe=single>1=15

It will be interesting to watch how Swanson responds to being fed a lot of sliders again this season.
    As I feared, more sliders equals Swanson's production falling dramatically again:

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx...=single&gt1=15

This will definitely be something to watch the rest of the season.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    As I feared, more sliders equals Swanson's production falling dramatically again:

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx...pe=single>1=15

This will definitely be something to watch the rest of the season.
    Wow that is pretty startling how strong the correlation is for most of that timeline. Definitely something that Dansby needs to address. He looked like he was doing a better job at laying off ones he couldn't handle for a while, but this was just me eyeballing it.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Well he just got a hit off one, so,good sign at least.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    That was a terrible slider that hung on the inner half.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I actually think his go ahead hit the other night was off a slider too. It seems like he isn't horrific against sliders on the inner-third, but once again, that is just me eyeballing it. I may look at his heatmaps tonight when I get some time

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    3 good sliders in a row and Swanson looked lost. Ughhh

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    3 good sliders in a row and Swanson looked lost. Ughhh
    Bradfords slider looks like a plus pitch. Swanson improving vs sliders doesn't mean is going to suddenly mash good ones.

He isn't going to become a good slider hitter in a few weeks, but his recent improvements are definitely encouraging. Hopefully the improvement continues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Bradfords slider looks like a plus pitch. Swanson improving vs sliders doesn't mean is going to suddenly mash good ones.

He isn't going to become a good slider hitter in a few weeks, but his recent improvements are definitely encouraging. Hopefully the improvement continues.
    Enscheff, a posi?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (09-15-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Enscheff, a posi?
    Lol he is right though. All three of those sliders would have been tough on anybody. The second one he probably could have layed off of. But they were nasty pitches. I'm glad Swanson has shown improvement, but its certainly something to monitor going forward for him