Thread: 40-Man Roster Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

40-Man Roster Thread

A place to consolidate discussions about it.

Currently - 09/13/2017

Pitchers (23)
    Jesse Biddle (AA - Mississippi)
    Aaron Blair (AAA - Gwinnett)
    Rex Brothers (MLB - Atlanta)
    Mauricio Cabrera (AA - Mississippi)
    R. A. Dickey (MLB - Atlanta)
    Mike Foltynewicz (MLB - Atlanta)
    Sam Freeman (MLB Atlanta)
    Max Fried (MLB - Atlanta)
    Luiz Gohara (MLB - Atlanta)
    Jason Hursh - (AAA - Gwinnett)
    Luke Jackson (MLB - Atlanta)
    Jim Johnson (MLB - Atlanta)
    Ian Krol (MLB - Atlanta)
    A. J. Minter (MLB - Atlanta)
    Akeel Morris (AAA - Gwinnett)
    Jason Motte (MLB - Atlanta)
    Sean Newcomb (MLB - Atlanta)
    Jose Ramirez (MLB - Atlanta)
    Lucas Sims (MLB - Atlanta)
    Julio Teheran (MLB - Atlanta)
    Arodys Vizcaino (MLB - Atlanta)
    Dan Winkler (MLB - Atlanta)
    Matt Wisler (MLB - Atlanta)

Catchers (3)
    Tyler Flowers (MLB - Atlanta)
    Kurt Suzuki (MLB - Atlanta)
    David Frietas (MLB - Atlanta)

Infielders (7)
    Freddie Freeman (MLB - Atlanta)
    Ozzie Albies (MLB - Atlanta)
    Dansby Swanson (MLB - Atlanta)
    Rio Ruiz (MLB - Atlanta)
    Johan Camargo (MLB - Atlanta)
    Jace Peterson (MLB - Atlanta)
    Adonis Garcia (MLB - Atlanta)

Outfielders (6)
    Ender Inciarte (MLB - Atlanta)
    Matt Kemp (MLB - Atlanta)
    Nick Markakis (MLB - Atlanta)
    Matt Adams (MLB - Atlanta)
    Lane Adams (MLB - Atlanta)
    Micah Johnson (MLB - Atlanta)

Bold signifying what exactly?
    Last edited by rico43; 09-13-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    See above
    Last edited by rico43; 09-13-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Rule 5 eligible
    Dustin Peterson
    Jacob Lindgren
    Travis Demeritte
    Caleb Dirks
    Tyler Pike
    Michael Mader
    Jacob Webb
    Bradley Roney
    Ray Patrick Didder
    Ricardo Sanchez

Out of Options
    Jace Peterson
    Luke Jackson
    Jacob Lindgren
    Lane Adams
    Akeel Morros
    Adonis Garcia
    Micah Johnson
    Danny Santana
    Mauricio Cabrera

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-13-2017), jpx7 (09-13-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Several people mentioned they were "worried" about losing someone important because of lack of roster space with all the call-ups and advancements. All of the following are likely to lose their spots this winter...

Jason Hursh, Ian Krol, Jason Motte, Matt Wisler, David Frietas, Kurt Suzuki, Adonis Garcia, and Micah Johnson.

That's 9 spots clearing without including the other guys that aren't bolded above like Jesse Biddle, Aaron Blair, Mauricio Cabrera, and Jace Peterson who may be tossed aside as well. The vast majority of those guys aren't likely to be signed by someone else if we wanted to bring them back to hang out at Gwinnett next year in case of injuries.

60-Day DL guys likely to be added are Jacob Lindgren and Armando Rivero, and likely additions from the system at some point in 2018 include Ronald Acuna, Dustin Peterson, and maybe Austin Riley.

At this point, there's obviously no 40-Man Roster "crunch", and there isn't likely to be one anytime soon.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-13-2017 at 02:55 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Rule 5 eligible
    Dustin Peterson
    Jacob Lindgren
    Travis Demeritte
    Caleb Dirks
    Tyler Pike
    Michael Mader
    Jacob Webb
    Bradley Roney
    Ray Patrick Didder
    Ricardo Sanchez

Out of Options
    Jace Peterson
    Luke Jackson
    Jacob Lindgren
    Lane Adams
    Akeel Morros
    Adonis Garcia
    Micah Johnson
    Danny Santana
    Mauricio Cabrera

All likely to be allowed to walk or left unprotected IMO.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-13-2017 at 02:52 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Motte and Suzuki will be gone first obviously as pending free agents

I think Kroll, Adonis, Micah, Cabrera, and Jace should be next since they're useless and have no options.

I think they shop Luke Jackson and Akeel Morris.

Santana and Lindgren are kept.

I think guys like Biddle, Hursh, Wisler, Brothers, Freitas, and Blair will be kept for a while until needed to be dropped or traded since they have options left.

Either way, I don't think we're in a 40 man roster crunch at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-13-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    All likely to be allowed to walk or left unprotected IMO.
    Basically...I'd like to see Webb kept if possible

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    We've likely seen all the "early" promotions we're going to see for awhile. Acuna won't be promoted and added until one of Markakis or Kemp are cleared and he can play everyday.

2018 will be dedicated to finding out what we have in Folty, Newcomb, Fried, and Gohara - Wright, Allard and Soroka will spend the entire season polishing things up at Mississippi/Gwinnett.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    We've likely seen all the "early" promotions we're going to see for awhile. Acuna won't be promoted and added until one of Markakis or Kemp are cleared and he can play everyday.

2018 will be dedicated to finding out what we have in Folty, Newcomb, Fried, and Gohara - Wright, Allard and Soroka will spend the entire season polishing things up at Mississippi/Gwinnett.
    So dumb...

I'd be willing to bet anyone any amount of anything that Wright, Allard and Soroka do not all spend the entire 2018 season in the minors.

Any takers?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

rico43 (09-13-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Of the guys on Chico's list, I think the only 2 that are locks for the 40-man are Dustin Peterson and Jacob Lindgren (off the 60-day DL).

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Of the guys on Chico's list, I think the only 2 that are locks for the 40-man are Dustin Peterson and Jacob Lindgren (off the 60-day DL).
    I'd like to see them protect Demeritte and Pike, as well, if possible—but I don't know anything.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'd like to see them protect Demeritte and Pike, as well, if possible—but I don't know anything.
    I don't think there is much risk of another team drafting them and keeping them on the active roster the whole year.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't think there is much risk of another team drafting them and keeping them on the active roster the whole year.
    I could see Pike in a bullpen, but you're likely right that Demeritte's probably not ready to even be hidden at the end of a bench.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I could see Pike in a bullpen, but you're likely right that Demeritte's probably not ready to even be hidden at the end of a bench.
    Demeritte could be one of those guys that another team looks at and thinks "I could totally fix him." His K-rate was down this year. If he could play two IF positions passably, someone might take a flyer on him, but it would probably have to be an AL team. My first post was on the guys I consider locks (and I left out Rivero, who is likely a lock). Pike and Webb are other guys who other teams might try to bury at the bottom of a bullpen.

Does anyone have a scouting report on Webb? Great K numbers with some control problems. I wonder if the Braves will move Pike permanently to the bullpen at some point. Odd thing about Pike is that he had great splits against LHH in High A, but couldn't maintain them in AA.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-13-2017), jpx7 (09-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Demeritte could be one of those guys that another team looks at and thinks "I could totally fix him." His K-rate was down this year. If he could play two IF positions passably, someone might take a flyer on him, but it would probably have to be an AL team. My first post was on the guys I consider locks (and I left out Rivero, who is likely a lock). Pike and Webb are other guys who other teams might try to bury at the bottom of a bullpen.

Does anyone have a scouting report on Webb? Great K numbers with some control problems. I wonder if the Braves will move Pike permanently to the bullpen at some point. Odd thing about Pike is that he had great splits against LHH in High A, but couldn't maintain them in AA.
    Seriously, you think anyone is going to carry him on a 25 man roster for a year to try and fix him? Who besides the Padres, maybe, would totally write off a roster spot? Doesn't seem terribly likely.

Someone that might slot in a bullpen or play a legitimate bench role, I could see.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Seriously, you think anyone is going to carry him on a 25 man roster for a year to try and fix him? Who besides the Padres, maybe, would totally write off a roster spot? Doesn't seem terribly likely.

Someone that might slot in a bullpen or play a legitimate bench role, I could see.
    Still don't think I'd take that chance with Demeritte for the reasons 50 mentioned - given his talent and power, he's just one of those guys who could be one of "those guys" who goes to bed tonight and has a moment before he wakes up in the morning and becomes that late-bloomer who turns into an All-Star. Think Seattle giving up on A-Jax as quickly as they did.

Same rule probably needs to apply to those kinds of players that applies to Folty and top-flight arms like that - until you start costing me money, you've got a spot here. The types of players that keep former GMs and Scouting Directors up at night 10 years after they retire.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-13-2017 at 09:08 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Still don't think I'd take that chance with Demeritte for the reasons 50 mentioned - given his talent and power, he's just one of those guys who could be one of "those guys" who goes to bed tonight and has a moment before he wakes up in the morning and becomes that late-bloomer who turns into an All-Star. Think Seattle giving up on A-Jax as quickly as they did.

Same rule probably needs to apply to those kinds of players that applies to Folty and top-flight arms like that - until you start costing me money, you've got a spot here. The types of players that keep former GMs and Scouting Directors up at night 10 years after they retire.

a team has to carry him for the entire season on the MLB roster. Who is going to do that for someone that had a .300 OBP at AA this year with modest power and who has a career K rate of 32%?

Strangers things have happened, I guess.

There are plenty of other crap players who can be released or not protected though.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    a team has to carry him for the entire season on the MLB roster. Who is going to do that for someone that had a .300 OBP at AA this year with modest power and who has a career K rate of 32%?

Strangers things have happened, I guess.

There are plenty of other crap players who can be released or not protected though.
    That's really the only point - let Jace or any number of other guys walk - the chances are better that they're still looking for jobs when we start looking to fill out Gwinnett's roster than that someone passes on Demeritte's potential. JMO though.