Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Albies

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Well, I don't agree with Clv on much of anything and at the time of the quoted post and now, I think the above proposal was not good, no real fit or goal, detrimental both short and long term. I will however take up for him a bit because at least he had the guts to put his thoughts out for all to see. Too many on this board appear to be willing to sit back and slam the posts and thoughts of others but not be willing to post and defend what they would do instead.

It's easy to be a permanent critic when you never open yourself to criticism.

So, yeah, dumb trade idea. But, good on Clv for being willing to go out on a limb.
    Kyrie Irving had some guts too when he publicly said he thought the Earth was flat.
    Putting yourself out there is ok..... but some ideas, you should just keep to yourself.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-15-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Kyrie Irving had some guts too when he publicly said he thought the Earth was flat.
    Putting yourself out there is ok..... but some ideas, you should just keep to yourself.
    Was literally just about to make the flat earth argument as well lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Carp (09-15-2017)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Was literally just about to make the flat earth argument as well lol
    Speaking of flat earth, this cracked me the hell up the other day...still don't know how to post damn pics on here, I've tried everything but here's the link

http://imgur.com/pZex239

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveAKAslick For This Useful Post:

Carp (09-15-2017), jpx7 (09-15-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    Speaking of flat earth, this cracked me the hell up the other day...still don't know how to post damn pics on here, I've tried everything but here's the link

Just use [img]url_here[/img] to insert images.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

I lol'd... Anyway, back to Albies. I'm usually pretty conservative with my expectations of prospects, but damn he has looked good. Kind of a weird side note: I've seen bWAR and fWAR come to different conclusions about players, but they are way apart on Albies. .7 bWAR and a 1.4 fWAR. Thought it was kind of odd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    That whole page was hilarious
    Ivermectin Man

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post

Just use [img]url_here[/img] to insert images.
    Thanks! I could have swore that was the first thing I tried since that's the old message board command prompts

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I lol'd... Anyway, back to Albies. I'm usually pretty conservative with my expectations of prospects, but damn he has looked good. Kind of a weird side note: I've seen bWAR and fWAR come to different conclusions about players, but they are way apart on Albies. .7 bWAR and a 1.4 fWAR. Thought it was kind of odd
    Well one is Fangraphs and the other baseball reference but I'm guessing you knew that...For position players I'd go with fWAR..bWAR uses the more advanced system for defensive statistics...fWAR is a better metric for pitchers too imo...as long as you understand what each of them offer I guess it doesn't matter too much...given the track record of Fangraphs vs BREF I'd go with Fangraphs though...I could be wrong though, Enscheff could probably shed more light on it than me

This is why I prefer fWAR for hitters 100%
    Ozzie Albies 40 games: 0.7 bWAR, 1.5 fWAR
    Moncada 38 games: 0.9 bWAR, 0.6 fWAR
    Last edited by steveAKAslick; 09-15-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Well one is Fangraphs and the other baseball reference but I'm guessing you knew that...For position players I'd go with fWAR..bWAR uses the more advanced system for defensive statistics...fWAR is a better metric for pitchers too imo...as long as you understand what each of them offer I guess it doesn't matter too much...given the track record of Fangraphs vs BREF I'd go with Fangraphs though...I could be wrong though, Enscheff could probably shed more light on it than me
    Oh no the reasoning is almost always defensive if B-R and FG come to different conclusions about position players. B-R uses DRS while FG uses UZR (I actually prefer UZR). That is definitely the reason why they differ on Ozzie. The only reason I noticed the difference was a twitter argument last night comparing Moncada and Ozzie's production so far lol

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Oh no the reasoning is almost always defensive if B-R and FG come to different conclusions about position players. B-R uses DRS while FG uses UZR (I actually prefer UZR). That is definitely the reason why they differ on Ozzie. The only reason I noticed the difference was a twitter argument last night comparing Moncada and Ozzie's production so far lol
    Haha that's exactly what I was referencing in my edit...we must follow the same dude/seen the same Twitter argument with Everything White Sox last night

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Haha that's exactly what I was referencing in my edit...we must follow the same dude/seen the same Twitter argument with Everything White Sox last night
    I was right in the middle of that argument haha. I definitely had to go and double check bc it was so drastic between FG and B-R for Moncada and Ozzie.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I was right in the middle of that argument haha. I definitely had to go and double check bc it was so drastic between FG and B-R for Moncada and Ozzie.
    Haha @BravesCody is great, he would fit right in here

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    If Heyward keeps struggling offensively I'd see if the Cubs would eat his salary and bring him here. His swing is still fixable. Problem is I don't trust anyone in our system to fix it. I could fix his swing in 5 minutes.

An Acuna-Inciarte-Heyward outfield could be really good defensively.
    Do tell. I've thought I had an idea of what would fix him.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    If Heyward keeps struggling offensively I'd see if the Cubs would eat his salary and bring him here. His swing is still fixable. Problem is I don't trust anyone in our system to fix it. I could fix his swing in 5 minutes.

An Acuna-Inciarte-Heyward outfield could be really good defensively.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Do tell. I've thought I had an idea of what would fix him.
    His timing right now is horrendous. It's not physical it's mental. His pitch recognition is still very good.

I'd first try to raise the back elbow in the stance-pre swing. Hands are too low right now. Hip turn is too soon, hip rotation is not aligned with his wrists at contact point, so the natural effect is him rolling over the top of the ball into a weak grounder, especially on pitches over the outer half of the plate. He keeps screwing the weight transfer. When your hips are exposed too soon you end up wasting the potential kinetic chain and you end up only using wrist or muscling the ball with arms. He exposes the hips so soon sometimes it also screws with his balance. For low pitches it's do or die. He either golfs it or rolls over. A bit more difficult to explain over words. Something I'm better physically demonstrating in person.
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-16-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

This is why I prefer fWAR for hitters 100%
    Ozzie Albies 40 games: 0.7 bWAR, 1.5 fWAR
    Moncada 38 games: 0.9 bWAR, 0.6 fWAR
    I'm actually the opposite for the most part. fWAR for pitchers is trash, imo. And not a fan of bWAR for hitters.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    His timing right now is horrendous. It's not physical it's mental. His pitch recognition is still very good.

I'd first try to raise the back elbow in the stance-pre swing. Hands are too low right now. Hip turn is too soon, hip rotation is not aligned with his wrists at contact point, so the natural effect is him rolling over the top of the ball into a weak grounder, especially on pitches over the outer half of the plate. He keeps screwing the weight transfer. When your hips are exposed too soon you end up wasting the potential kinetic chain and you end up only using wrist or muscling the ball with arms. He exposes the hips so soon sometimes it also screws with his balance. For low pitches it's do or die. He either golfs it or rolls over. A bit more difficult to explain over words. Something I'm better physically demonstrating in person.
    I think you covered it all in the first paragraph. The second paragraph imo is what's wrong with him. He appears to be trying to break every piece of his swing down to the point it has screwed him up.

The genius Cubs screwed him up. I believe they felt like they needed to make him a 30 hr guy to justify the 180 mil. I think he could become a league average hitter again with a different team.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-16-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I think you covered it all in the first paragraph. The second paragraph imo is what's wrong with him. He appears to be trying to break every piece of his swing down to the point it has screwed him up.

The genius Cubs screwed him up. I believe they felt like they needed to make him a 30 hr guy to justify the 180 mil. I think he could become a league average hitter again with a different team.
    I disagree about him over analyzing. He's always has flaws even when he was producing solid numbers with us. But you can only rely on raw athleticism to mask mediocre mechanics for so long.

He could easily be a 20-25 homer guy still. He just needs the right guy. I never agreed with it but Chipper used to always rely on his dad when slumping. I always wondered if the actual hitting coaches felt slighted by it. But hey it actually worked for Chipper. Heyward doesn't need a hitting coach he needs a personal coach to clean up his mechanics. He's a very smart guy in general. That's a guy who has the work ethic to solve it just needs the right direction.
    Forever Fredi

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Well, I don't agree with Harry much... but in this case he is correct. I know I am much more careful about how I word things after having been ridiculed a few times a while back. I should be willing to go out on a limb a little more often.
    There is going out on a limb, and then there is diving off the top of a Redwood tree with no parachute. Clv typically falls in the latter category. Everyone says stuff they regret or makes claims that make them look dumb from time to time, it's when you do it over and over again and never learn from your mistakes that it become problematic I think.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    I fix swing mechanics for a living now. We've come full circle in the last 15 years.
    Nice to see all that swing analysis you used to do as a middle/high school student back in the day paid off.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-15-2017)