Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9/16 vs mets

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    They will keep him with hopes of trading him at the deadline.

Of course all we need to make a playoff run is a 44 year old knuckballer said no GM ever.

Except Coppy
    I understand he provides innings, but 2018 is another likely rebuilding year. I'd like to see Gohara, Fried, Newcomb get the bulk of the starts.... in the middle of the year, you can see what you have with Wright and Soroka.

You can move him to the bullpen, sure, but I'd rather see Atlanta use the 7.5 million on a good bullpen piece.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    jon heyman noted today that the Braves are likely to pick up Dickey's 8 million dollar option.

I'm of the mindset to let Gohara, Fried, and Newcomb fill out the rotation and to spend the 7.5 million saved on Dickey on one or two pen pieces.
    But if the purpose of the new ballpark is to push our salary to higher limits should Dickey's option really be a concern? Dickey is a 1.5 WAR guy this year. They could (and have) done a lot worse for that 8 million. To me it's an easy option to pick up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Just in case you were wondering, state is killing lsu

Love it

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    But if the purpose of the new ballpark is to push our salary to higher limits should Dickey's option really be a concern? Dickey is a 1.5 WAR guy this year. They could (and have) done a lot worse for that 8 million. To me it's an easy option to pick up.
    Dickey would seem to be a "no-brainer" unless you were going to spend that money on someone like Cobb as a longer-term investment IMO.

It would be different if you were willing to commit to the kids and let them take their lumps, but for whatever reason the brass doesn't seem willing to do that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Barring injury, the 2018 rotation should be Teheran, Folty, Newk, Fried and Dickey or some other FA they can pencil in for 180+ average-ish innings.

I'm not sure how thats the FO being unwilling to give the young guys a chance, but clv gonna clv.

The AAA rotation should include Gohara, Allard, Soroka, Sims and some other reclamation project (Wright in AA). All those guys will be ready to come up as soon as someone pitches themselves out of the MLB rotation, but Sims and Gohara will probably be first in line.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Just in case you were wondering, state is killing lsu

Love it
    Someone needs to console Kelsey Wingert tonight.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Dickey would seem to be a "no-brainer" unless you were going to spend that money on someone like Cobb as a longer-term investment IMO.

It would be different if you were willing to commit to the kids and let them take their lumps, but for whatever reason the brass doesn't seem willing to do that.
    We have seen 4 of our top prospects make starts in the last month. How is the front office not willing to commit to the kids? It seems like that is exactly what they are doing.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Barring injury, the 2018 rotation should be Teheran, Folty, Newk, Fried and Dickey or some other FA they can pencil in for 180+ average-ish innings.

I'm not sure how thats the FO being unwilling to give the young guys a chance, but clv gonna clv.

The AAA rotation should include Gohara, Allard, Soroka, Sims and some other reclamation project (Wright in AA). All those guys will be ready to come up as soon as someone pitches themselves out of the MLB rotation, but Sims and Gohara will probably be first in line.
    I have a feeling that Sims is going to pitch himself out of starting consideration and into the bullpen by midseason at the latest. Gohara will eventually get the call ,though, to take someone's spot.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Wonder how long it will be before Snit or someone in the front office flakes out because a staff of Newk, Fried and Gohara is to left handed. I'm sure there is some old school baseball logic that says you can't have more than 2 left hand starters.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Wonder how long it will be before Snit or someone in the front office flakes out because a staff of Newk, Fried and Gohara is to left handed. I'm sure there is some old school baseball logic that says you can't have more than 2 left hand starters.
    Yeah the Dodgers would probably be undefeated if they had one or two fewer lefties in their rotation

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    We have seen 4 of our top prospects make starts in the last month. How is the front office not willing to commit to the kids? It seems like that is exactly what they are doing.
    Seeing them get a look in September is far from a "commitment" from this front office recently.

This winter's going to be really interesting - with a nice chunk of money coming off the books, no obvious ways to move either corner OF to make room for Acuna, and the likely choice being NOT to spend any of that money to address 3B, I'll be a bit more than surprised if the 2018 rotation is Julio/Gohara/Folty/Newcomb/Fried. As one of the ones who's screamed loudest for calling for promoting everyone aggressively, it would certainly be a pleasant surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

Like many others, I'd love to see the brass just pool the money coming off the books from Big Sexy/Garcia/Dickey and use it to pay someone to take Kemp and/or Markakis rather than spending it elsewhere (and maybe even using part of it to pay Jim Johnson to stay home for that matter). The thing is, unless the recent additions to the front office staff signal a willingness to move on, we're likely to at least see one "name" added for average fans to get excited about - and unless they can get that name on a 1 or 2 year deal at 3B, they'll likely fill one rotation spot with one.

One interesting name we might be able to get on a shorter-term (2 years preferably) is Eduardo Nunez. He'd certainly help defensively and on the bases, and is a much more proven hitter than anyone else we're likely to be able to add on the cheap. It's obviously pie-in-the-sky thinking, but if we could make both corner OFs disappear this winter and replace them with Nunez/Camargo/Rio at 3B, Adams/Adams in LF, and Acuna in RF that might be pretty interesting.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    What in the world did deGrom just use to strike out Suzuki? A cutter/slider at 94?
    Statcast says this was a 92 MPH slider from deGrom.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Statcast says this was a 92 MPH slider from deGrom.
    Did it slide at 92? good grief if that guy moved like a typical slider, then MLB needs to ban that right now. Unhittable.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Did it slide at 92? good grief if that guy moved like a typical slider, then MLB needs to ban that right now. Unhittable.
    It moved enough to make me wonder what the heck it was. The 19 second mark here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/video?content_id=1836891883
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-18-2017 at 01:34 PM.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    It moved enough to make me wonder what the heck it was. The 19 second mark here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/video?content_id=1836891883
    Wow, that was sick. Amateur scouting opinion: he should add that as a pitch that he throws regularly.
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot