Thread: Potential 2016 Offseason Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We have the money for an extension.
    Don't care. Giving Albies up for a guy under contract for 1-2 years would be a disaster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    How much can cost us Archer? Maybe we should try to get Archer and Duffy. To cover a pitcher and the third base.
    Don't ever change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Don't care. Giving Albies up for a guy under contract for 1-2 years would be a disaster.
    Again. We have the money to extend him. I'd rather have Donaldson and Jace then Albies and whoever they put over there.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Again. We have the money to extend him. I'd rather have Donaldson and Jace then Albies and whoever they put over there.
    You keep saying that like it means anything. Giving up major talent for two years of Donaldson would be beyond crazy. We aren't winning a WS in the next two years even with Donaldson. With our current pitching we'd be lucky to make the wildcard next year even if we had him. If we want Donaldson we should be going after him as a FA for the 2019 season. But even though the Auburn homer in me would love to see him in a Braves uniform, I'm not sure it's a good idea to extend him when he'll be 32. Though given he grew up a Braves fan and is from the SE he would be a logical guy to go after at a position that will still likely be a need.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'm not opposed to trading for whoever if we can steal them. If the Rays feel inclined to be fleeced for Archer I'd be more than happy to oblige them. We shouldn't trade Albies/Swanson. I would give up some of our pitching. We can trade a guy from AA and a guy from A and be fine. We have tons of depth. Just need someone with 3-5 years of control in return.

If teams don't bite on that then fine.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    The Braves may not be in win now mode yet, but I bet they've done a lot of self scouting. They may take some opportunities to sell high on guys with higher value in the market than to them. Maybe they don't really love Newcomb and think Weigel is better. Maybe they think Sorka is less talented than Fried/Touki/Allard but is higher rated than them by other clubs. Or they really don't believe in Riley. Or whoever. It's fine to sell assets when the perceived value is the highest.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-19-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    The Braves may not be in win now mode yet, but I bet they've done a lot of self scouting. They may take some opportunities to sell high on guys with higher value in the market than to them. Maybe they don't really love Newcomb and think Weigel is better. Maybe they think Sorka is less talented than Fried/Touki/Allard but is higher rated than them by other clubs. Or they really don't believe in Riley. Or whoever. It's fine to sell assets when the perceived value is the highest.
    I agree 100%. There are going to be some fans that are not happy with some trades this offseason. I think we're going to sell high on some guys whose value may be at the highest it ever will be. I can't claim to know who those guys are. I can only guess like everyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I agree 100%. There are going to be some fans that are not happy with some trades this offseason. I think we're going to sell high on some guys whose value may be at the highest it ever will be. I can't claim to know who those guys are. I can only guess like everyone else.
    We have these many pitchers, we need to trade someone - we HAVE to get better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think the preferred approach this off-season is to acquire some major league players without giving up much in the way of prospects and draft picks. There are two main avenues: free agents without qualifying offers and veterans on contracts that no longer have much if any surplus value. Kemp is an example of the latter. McCann is another one.

Here is how I see the off-season playing out.

1) Trade for McCann for one or two second-tier prospects (examples include Roney, Dirks, Janas, Camargo, Valenzuela, Obregon).

2) Sign two free agent starting pitchers. Examples of the type of player I have in mind are Nova, Morton, Brett Anderson, Cashner.

3) Bring back Jim Johnson to be the veteran presence in an otherwise young pen.

4) Bring back Kelly Johnson and Jeff Francoeur to be our primary left-handed and right-handed pinch hitters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    We have these many pitchers, we need to trade someone - we HAVE to get better.
    But we don't know who the best ones are yet. There's no rush to trade the young pitching. In fact, patience here is still mandatory.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-19-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'd like to see us revisit Jorge Soler. With Schwarber coming back in LF and Heyward in RF they could use a CF'er.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'd like to see us revisit Jorge Soler. With Schwarber coming back in LF and Heyward in RF they could use a CF'er.
    I think they may put Heyward in CF, but that would be a pretty disastrous defensive OF with Soler and Schwarber in the corners, so I'd definitely look into it.

The problem, of course, is that an OF with Soler and Kemp in the corners is also disastrous defensively, and Soler hasn't hit well enough yet to overcome his defensive issues.

If we gave up Inciarte, for example, in exchange for Soler, we'd have to get quite a bit more back in return as well, and I doubt the Cubs are willing to do that. But Inciarte is a proven commodity, so I'd much rather keep him than give him up basically straight up in a deal for a guy like Soler.
    Last edited by smootness; 09-19-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the preferred approach this off-season is to acquire some major league players without giving up much in the way of prospects and draft picks. There are two main avenues: free agents without qualifying offers and veterans on contracts that no longer have much if any surplus value. Kemp is an example of the latter. McCann is another one.

1) Trade for McCann for one or two second-tier prospects (examples include Roney, Dirks, Janas, Camargo, Valenzuela, Obregon).

2) Sign two free agent starting pitchers. Examples of the type of player I have in mind are Nova, Morton, Brett Anderson, Cashner.

4) Bring back Kelly Johnson and Jeff Francoeur to be our primary left-handed and right-handed pinch hitters
    Only if they can keep trading them.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Bob Horner (09-21-2016), clvclv (09-20-2016), jpx7 (09-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

4) Bring back Kelly Johnson and Jeff Francoeur to be our primary left-handed and right-handed pinch hitters.
    I think you are 100% correct. Depending on cost, I might prefer signing Castro to trading for Mac.

Folks who are expecting moves other than those types haven't been paying attention, and will be pretty disappointed this offseason.

The only big splash where I could see the Braves giving up something of real value is trading away Mallex or Inciarte for a young controllable guy at 3B, C, or SP. Any return for those guys would have to come with 4+ years of control, and they would have to be a 3+ WAR player.

If Mallex or Inciarte are traded I would like to see the Braves sign Rajai Davis to serve as the RHed 4th OFer.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-19-2016 at 11:56 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Nothing about Coppy suggests to me that we're going to sit on our hands this offseason. I think we will see a lot of trades, and a handful of free agent signings.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Sonny Gray or Chris Archer.
    Jaime Garcia or Ivan Nova
    Kenley Jansen ( I think if we are going to give a draft away we should only do it for a All Star)
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Catchers i am not sold with none of them.
    Why Jensen??? Just make the Kimbrel reunion happen. Hart has not hid a desire to reacquire him.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Why Jensen??? Just make the Kimbrel reunion happen. Hart has not hid a desire to reacquire him.
    Kenley cost us 1 draft pick but can give us 2 great prospects at the trade deadline. 28 years old, second most saves in the majors. Look at his numbers.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    I gave said it before, but I think Markakis will be elsewhere come Opening Day. Could he be in a deal for McCann? Just one guess there. With Nick's power returning some, the Yankees could be interested in him with that RF short porch.

Trading for Cobb or Archer does interest me. I do feel the Braves need another top notch arm to pair with Teheran.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Braves will be looking to add pitchers who are durable, overpaid, and can be acquired without giving up any prospects with real value.

Think along the lines of Shields, Miley, and Garza. I'm sure we can brainstorm another 5-6 guys who fit that mold.

I can already see the headlines from Bowman when Shields is acquired. Stories about Big Game James coming to Atlanta looking to shake off his terrible seasons in SD! He will be in the best shape of his life and hungry to get back to the postseason! The Braves add a legitimate playoff pitcher by only giving up Rob Whalen...the FO are geniuses!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-20-2016 at 05:01 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Jaime Garcia seems like a reasonable target for trade.