Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Justin Morneau ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    The sound it made, I felt pretty sure it's a fracture. Does that require surgery ?
    Depends on whether its displaced or not.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Turrible. maybe we should start unloading players before they regress.
    I mean really....doesn't matter who they get...this was a bad team before loosing a MVP candidate. I realize they still need to put a interesting team on the field, but you can't replace Freddie. They need to go ahead and move anyone now they planned to at the deadline.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-18-2017), jpx7 (05-18-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I mean really....doesn't matter who they get...this was a bad team before loosing a MVP candidate. I realize they still need to put a interesting team on the field, but you can't replace Freddie. They need to go ahead and move anyone now they planned to at the deadline.
    I was thinking that as well. Too bad Colon is pitching so poorly. Now would be the time to move him and Garcia seeing the season is likely in the dumpster.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-18-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Just ride this sh@t storm out. Don't do anything stupid to try and 'replace' FF.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-18-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I was thinking that as well. Too bad Colon is pitching so poorly. Now would be the time to move him and Garcia seeing the season is likely in the dumpster.
    Colon can't be moved until June something. Garcia can though.. but really why would you. let the young guys build success and just write this season off. enjoy the pick next year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    We've been willing to listen all along on the vets on one-year deals. Colon, Suzuki, Phillips and Garcia. Also some of the other guys on longer deals too if the right offer comes along. I don't think Freeman's injury changes any of that.

And I think we will also be open to buying at the deadline, with an eye on acquisitions that can fill a need or two in 2018 and beyond.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-18-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    There should be many Bluejay players with baseball sized bruises after the game tonight. The pot is boiling and I would t be surprised to see a significant fight or two...or three.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Colon can't be moved until June something. Garcia can though.. but really why would you. let the young guys build success and just write this season off. enjoy the pick next year.
    I guess I'm saying that if the season is lost and these guys will be gone by the deadline anyway, move them now and give Sims and Newcomb more big league innings. Of course, they need to be deemed ready.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Just ride this sh@t storm out. Don't do anything stupid to try and 'replace' FF.
    The reality is we can't replace a player like that. So yeah, we'll spin our wheels a bit trying to fill the gap but basically we'll be riding out the storm.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-18-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The reality is we can't replace a player like that. So yeah, we'll spin our wheels a bit trying to fill the gap but basically we'll be riding out the storm.
    hence my quotes. you are not replacing FF.. not even going to go out and get half of a FF. just mix and match internal options for now and see what washes out of it.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I guess I'm saying that if the season is lost and these guys will be gone by the deadline anyway, move them now and give Sims and Newcomb more big league innings. Of course, they need to be deemed ready.
    I think the bigger problem with having a fire sale this early in the season is the new stadium. That would be a terrible PR hit for the new stadium.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    yeah, that was my point. I don't want to rush pitching prospect really. I would rather just let them continue to build on the successes they are seeing and let the old farts continue to build our draft ranking.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Agreed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-18-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    @pgammo
    One Brave veteran told a friend "we'll have a fight today" after Loup broke Freddie Freeman's hand

I think this game is going to be ugly!!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    @pgammo
    One Brave veteran told a friend "we'll have a fight today" after Loup broke Freddie Freeman's hand

I think this game is going to be ugly!!
    Gibbons v. Snitker at home plate during the line-up card exchange.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    There should be many Bluejay players with baseball sized bruises after the game tonight. The pot is boiling and I would t be surprised to see a significant fight or two...or three.
    Julion is pitching tonight. He isn't afraid to pitch inside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    I think the bigger problem with having a fire sale this early in the season is the new stadium. That would be a terrible PR hit for the new stadium.
    Well, there is no PR hit from moving Jaime Garcia and replacing him with Newcomb or Sims in the rotation. If anything I think that kind of move generates some positive buzz.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-18-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    This happening to Freddie is one of the risks you run by keeping him through the rebuilding years instead of maximizing his trade value. Of course I know it was sort of a freak thing and could happen to anyone. But, that's the point. Trading him would be a risk. You might not get anything back that helps you long term if you trade badly or are unlucky. But, keeping him has risk as well. He could be injured or get sick or just face diminished skills for whatever reason in a few years.

Theoretically, he puts fans in the seats. However, I wonder how much of that is really true as opposed to just "historical baseball knowledge" like protection of a batter in the line-up. There probably is some truth to it but not near as much as is commonly thought.

To be clear, I was strongly on the trade Freeman bandwagon (for the right return obviously) then backed away from that as he continued to develop into an elite 1B. However, I do think there is significant risk associated with keeping him.

It all really boils down to when the team is most likely going to be able to truly contend and keep contending. Freeman is part of that equation whether he stays or goes in trade. I see 2018 as when the first wave of younger guys really begin to arrive in force and the curve turns in the right direction with 2019 being the first real year where they could be expected to contend. Keep Freeman and you probably can count on having 1B filled with a quality, maybe even elite, player. But, that's probably isn't a certainty.

OTOH, if you got the right trade, you could potentially have a hole at 1B but FILL 3 other holes with young, talented, controllable player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    This happening to Freddie is one of the risks you run by keeping him through the rebuilding years instead of maximizing his trade value. Of course I know it was sort of a freak thing and could happen to anyone. But, that's the point. Trading him would be a risk. You might not get anything back that helps you long term if you trade badly or are unlucky. But, keeping him has risk as well. He could be injured or get sick or just face diminished skills for whatever reason in a few years.

Theoretically, he puts fans in the seats. However, I wonder how much of that is really true as opposed to just "historical baseball knowledge" like protection of a batter in the line-up. There probably is some truth to it but not near as much as is commonly thought.

To be clear, I was strongly on the trade Freeman bandwagon (for the right return obviously) then backed away from that as he continued to develop into an elite 1B. However, I do think there is significant risk associated with keeping him.

It all really boils down to when the team is most likely going to be able to truly contend and keep contending. Freeman is part of that equation whether he stays or goes in trade. I see 2018 as when the first wave of younger guys really begin to arrive in force and the curve turns in the right direction with 2019 being the first real year where they could be expected to contend. Keep Freeman and you probably can count on having 1B filled with a quality, maybe even elite, player. But, that's probably isn't a certainty.

OTOH, if you got the right trade, you could potentially have a hole at 1B but FILL 3 other holes with young, talented, controllable player.
    I was wondering when you would chime in on this. There is always a concentration of risk when you have an outstanding player. But I regard that as a good problem to have.