Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chip Kelly to the Gators

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Exclamation Chip Kelly to the Gators

Super excited for this hire. His offense with Florida talent will be fun one would think.

Go Gators!

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Good pick up by the gators

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Fake news. No reputable news sources have reported such info. And Florida AD seems to be squashing it pretty heavily. It may yet happen at some point, but for now it's fake news.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-14-2017 at 10:54 PM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Fake news. No reputable news sources have reported such info. And Florida AD seems to be squashing it pretty heavily. It may yet happen at some point, but for now it's fake news.
    well, if it's fake news in the way our president has brought that stupid saying to the main stream

it is for sure happening then
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Chip Kelley in the SEC could be interesting. Its been a while since the NCAA handed down the death penalty.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    You really dont think deals can get made, and people know about it, without mainstream media knowing?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Sure. But not one reputable source has mentioned this. Even the UF AD is shooting it down. Not to mention, there is zero chance he signed for an AAV of 4.5 million. He has his choice of jobs and easily could get 6-7 million (or more) in this market.

There are tons of rumors about Gruden to Tennessee right now and some fairly credible sources confirming it's been agreed upon (guys who were the first to report various injuries/suspensions before they were publicly announced). But you won't see me doing cartwheels until the ink is dry and someone other than a random twitter account or message board "insider" is reporting that it's done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I honestly have no idea why Gruden would want to go to Tennessee and that's not a knock against Tennessee.

First, why would he want to leave his broadcasting job. Dude makes more money than any coach and works 17 days a year.

Second, if he was interested in coaching again, there would be half a dozen NFL teams interested.

Gruden has also made it known in the past that he hates recruiting.

There's no guarantee of success for Gruden at the college level. If he's not a good recruiter then his NFL resume wont save him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I'm skeptical to say the least. Still, Gruden does have ties to UT and he owns 21.5 acres near Knoxville. The smoking gun would appear to be the layoffs at ESPN, the pourus MNF numbers, and his contract not being guaranteed.

Several former players and at least one journalist are confirming it's legit, so who knows. Again, I remain skeptical.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Spurrier also squashed this rumor tonight as well. Says he believes there's almost a 100 percent chance the next Florida coach is currently coaching right now.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-15-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Kelly may not be the coach now, but I won’t be surprised to see it happen eventually. Florida fans will want a big splash as a coaching hire and Chip Kelly would fit that bill.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Does Florida have the balls to go for Kiffin? He’s right there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Definitely could happen, though I don't expect it. I would venture Scott Frost, Charlie Strong, or Willie Taggart. May be a possibility of Dan Mullen, but his wife just recently stated she didn't want to live in Gainesville didn't she?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm skeptical to say the least. Still, Gruden does have ties to UT and he owns 21.5 acres near Knoxville. The smoking gun would appear to be the layoffs at ESPN, the pourus MNF numbers, and his contract not being guaranteed.

Several former players and at least one journalist are confirming it's legit, so who knows. Again, I remain skeptical.
    I think if he goes back to coaching it will be in the NFL. Better pay, better gig, and he'd have his pick of teams.

Mark Schlabach tweeted this morning that if Gruden takes the Tenn job, Schlabach would sing Rockey Top in the town square of Madison, GA on Christmas Eve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    You really dont think deals can get made, and people know about it, without mainstream media knowing?
    You still doubling down on this?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think if he goes back to coaching it will be in the NFL. Better pay, better gig, and he'd have his pick of teams.

Mark Schlabach tweeted this morning that if Gruden takes the Tenn job, Schlabach would sing Rockey Top in the town square of Madison, GA on Christmas Eve.
    I don't know about better pay. The highest paid NFL coach is Payton at 8 million. But, you would be correct about better gig. Someone mentioned he'd be interested in the Titans gig if it came available due to his man crush on Mariota. Not sure I believe that one either, but it doesn't really matter. Titans gig won't open up as long as we make the playoffs this year, and it's looking like that's a pretty likely scenario as long as Mariota stays healthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I don't know about better pay. The highest paid NFL coach is Payton at 8 million. But, you would be correct about better gig. Someone mentioned he'd be interested in the Titans gig if it came available due to his man crush on Mariota. Not sure I believe that one either, but it doesn't really matter. Titans gig won't open up as long as we make the playoffs this year, and it's looking like that's a pretty likely scenario as long as Mariota stays healthy.
    I'm not sure I'd want Gruden if I was Tennessee. He's a big name and has a Super Bowl ring but he doesn't have much of a college resume. Also, the man has expressed his disdain for recruiting in the past and a head coach that's not a great recruiter will get eaten alive in the SEC.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want Gruden if I was Tennessee. He's a big name and has a Super Bowl ring but he doesn't have much of a college resume. Also, the man has expressed his disdain for recruiting in the past and a head coach that's not a great recruiter will get eaten alive in the SEC.

To be fair, the guy is a rock star. His repuation alone would drive interest from recruits (at least in the beginning). You don't think QB recruits would line up to be coached by him? Having a great staff would have to be a priority though.

Again, I think it's wishful thinking and message board hooplah. But reports from a least a couple of reputable news sources that the UT AD and a crew of "recruiters" flew down to Tampa last night to make their pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You still doubling down on this?
    Yes. It’s going to happen still as far as I’ve heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Spurrier also squashed this rumor tonight as well. Says he believes there's almost a 100 percent chance the next Florida coach is currently coaching right now.
    Spurrier has no decision making ability in this process.