Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: 4/29 rubber game vs Phillies

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    biddle has looked great. minter could settle in. and yeah, let's give fried a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Hey guys, look at this beauty:

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (04-30-2018), AerchAngel (04-30-2018), DaneHill (04-30-2018), GovClintonTyree (04-30-2018), Hudson2 (04-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (04-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    you're on the right track...lefty reliever from a non-contending team...but I would shop in a cheaper aisle...no hurry either...lets see how Minter, Freeman, Biddle and Fried do in May and June
    Biddles outing was encouraging. I think we can be a guy that gives Freeman some rest and then allow him to be sharper for his more high leverage situations.

It would be crazy to have a guy that can go out there for multiple innings and shut down the opposition.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    biddle has looked great. minter could settle in. and yeah, let's give fried a chance.
    Fried may be in the rotation IMO by the end of June.

Teheran trade/injury
    Sanchez will flame out
    Mccarthey to be traded

Soroka In
    Gohara In
    Fried in

Just the opinion of a novice fan...
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Okay, new twitter argument that I want to discuss here. Given Suzuki and Flower's production over the last year+, if we had an opportunity to trade for JT Realmuto right now should we do it? Especially seeing that our window to compete looks like it might open a year early? I'm of the mind that it would probably be a poor allocation of resources to trade for Realmuto since Suzuki and Flowers have been so unexpectedly good. I think we should save our resources to potentially trade for bullpen pieces or 3rd base.

The specific trade that I mentioned in the discussion was Soroka, Pache, and Wilson for Realmuto. I said I would turn it down, he said he would accept it in a heartbeat. What say you Chopcountry.
    I wouldn’t do that.

That isn’t a trade about winning in 2018. No sign the Braves are hampered by their catching situation currently.

If anything that would be about getting a catcher for 2019 and beyond. I think the Braves can probably address that in FA by keeping fthejr current situation intact another year if need be.

I would want to solve a much bigger problem than that if I was giving up Soroka.

Acquiring an ace or a middle order impact bat...that would make more sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    How much do you guys think it would take to get Brad Hand?

Would that be a worthwhile acquisition based on where the team stands currently? Would the Padres make the deal?

If you add a high leverage bullpen arm to the mix then I think we have a clear shot at making the playoffs.
    Probably more than we want to give up. The Rays are delusional and likely think they're going to contend, so...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2018)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It's important, when we wonder if we're making any progress because it's incremental, that we pull out these little snapshots for a little reminder....

Ye cats.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Okay, new twitter argument that I want to discuss here. Given Suzuki and Flower's production over the last year+, if we had an opportunity to trade for JT Realmuto right now should we do it? Especially seeing that our window to compete looks like it might open a year early? I'm of the mind that it would probably be a poor allocation of resources to trade for Realmuto since Suzuki and Flowers have been so unexpectedly good. I think we should save our resources to potentially trade for bullpen pieces or 3rd base.

The specific trade that I mentioned in the discussion was Soroka, Pache, and Wilson for Realmuto. I said I would turn it down, he said he would accept it in a heartbeat. What say you Chopcountry.
    Good God no.

I'm a guy who's not shy about using prospects to improve the ML club, but that's beyond atrocious. Wonder what a surplus value analysis would look like on this. Ugly.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    It's important, when we wonder if we're making any progress because it's incremental, that we pull out these little snapshots for a little reminder....

Ye cats.
    Ugh, I think I had repressed any memory of Pedro Ciriaco in a Braves uni.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (04-30-2018), jpx7 (04-30-2018), The Chosen One (04-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Good God no.

I'm a guy who's not shy about using prospects to improve the ML club, but that's beyond atrocious. Wonder what a surplus value analysis would look like on this. Ugly.
    Agreed.

Plus, over his 102 games with us, Suzuki has been worth close to 3.5 WAR, which is about what Realmuto has put up over 135+ games each of the last two years. Flowers also put up 2+ WAR himself last year in 99 games.

Will they keep it up? I don't know, but that move doesn't even clearly improve the MLB team right now. And that price is way too much. Soroka alone is looking like he can provide the value of Realmuto in the rotation, and he's knocking on the door.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Soroka will improve the team more this year (and especially in the future) than Realmuto would this year.
    So yeah that's an extremely easy "no." I wouldn't trade Soroka straight up for JT at this point.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ugh, I think I had repressed any memory of Pedro Ciriaco in a Braves uni.
    Just as I repressed any memory of nsacpi expecting any huge games from Ciriaco.
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts

Teheran trade/injury
    Sanchez will flame out
    Mccarthey to be traded

Soroka In
    Gohara In
    Fried in

If we're 7 or more games out by then? Sure. Otherwise, that's a pretty foolish idea.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Agreed.

Plus, over his 102 games with us, Suzuki has been worth close to 3.5 WAR, which is about what Realmuto has put up over 135+ games each of the last two years. Flowers also put up 2+ WAR himself last year in 99 games.

Will they keep it up? I don't know, but that move doesn't even clearly improve the MLB team right now. And that price is way too much. Soroka alone is looking like he can provide the value of Realmuto in the rotation, and he's knocking on the door.
    And those numbers do not take into account framing skills, which would boost Flowers significantly.

Barring a return to pre-Braves production from Suzuki and/or Flowers, catcher is not a position that needs to be fixed. If we can upgrade for minimal cost, sure, but we'd be better off putting any available resources into 3B, the rotation, or the bullpen.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    And those numbers do not take into account framing skills, which would boost Flowers significantly.

Barring a return to pre-Braves production from Suzuki and/or Flowers, catcher is not a position that needs to be fixed. If we can upgrade for minimal cost, sure, but we'd be better off putting any available resources into 3B, the rotation, or the bullpen.
    So you wanna resign Markakis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post

Why can't they build a framing component into dWAR for catchers? Isn't it kind of rudimentary at this point for them? Somebody must be working on blocking and throwing in the same manner.

I say ride the Zuk-Flow train all the way to October and beyond, baby.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Teheran trade/injury
    Sanchez will flame out
    Mccarthey to be traded

Soroka In
    Gohara In
    Fried in

Why are we trading McCarthey is he's good? He has a cheap option for next year. I think you keep him. In a video game I'd trade him at peak performance b/c he's made of glass and he will break. In real life teams that are trying to win do not trade good players on reasonable deals with a year of control.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-30-2018)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I think we can keep Flowzuki until we can see if Alex Jackson has enough.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    If the Braves are somehow in contention at the deadline, they will likely be looking to improve 3B and/or the BP (all contenders add to the BP).

Rosenthal just reported that the Braves are "saddled by debt" (whatever that means), so they may not have much room to add any payroll. He also says AA is unlikely to trade multiple prospects for deadline acquisitions (a no-brainer), so getting a controllable BP arm while paying the contender's premium is most likely not on the menu.

Having said that, Mous should be cheap to acquire and won't add much to payroll. As a rental, he will probably command a near-nothing return like JDM, and could plug a big hole for 2+ months.

As far as BP arms go, who knows. There will be guys available at all price ranges, and if the Braves are contending they are likely to grab one at the lower end of the spectrum.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-30-2018 at 11:29 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-30-2018), jpx7 (04-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Why are we trading McCarthey is he's good? He has a cheap option for next year. I think you keep him. In a video game I'd trade him at peak performance b/c he's made of glass and he will break. In real life teams that are trying to win do not trade good players on reasonable deals with a year of control.
    I think you can leverage McCarthey into a long term bullpen arm piece personally. He is going to break down and I'd rather get value that will line up with our contention window. We are almost at the point where we have to force openings into the starting rotation.
    Natural Immunity Croc