Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SUNNY SUNDAY MINORS FINAL D5/6/18: Pen Wastes Anderson Gem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    As a fellow prospect hound, I'm usually somewhere with you thethe, but Riley absolutely has to continue to prove people wrong. I've seen him and haven't opined much. I like him and believe he is legit, but the posts I've seen have been those trying understand who he is.
    Fair enough. I disagree based on what I've seen. We are even now hearing he won't be exposed until the MLB level after hearing his AA success last year was SSS noise. So now there is gradual hedging and that's a common theme in this board so people can't be 'called out' for being wrong.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    What the heck does what people said last year or in previous years about Riley have to do with anything you said in this particular thread? Many people have questioned Riley's bat speed and defense in the past, including myself. Hopefully he continues to prove those of us that doubted him wrong.

But you made a comment that people were dogging Riley right now, not in the past. That's simply you throwing out victim comments with no basis.
    Exactly what I meant. Riley has come a long way in answering the skepticism (much of it initially justified) that many had for his prospects, myself included—and I’m thrilled about it. But I don’t see anyone in this thread “still” maintaining “that Riley isn’t all that” (even if he does still have a few final questions to answer, mostly in the k/bb department). But he’s shown the power is legit, that his defense is not disqualifying, and that the bat-speed concerns were very likely overemphasized.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I think Riley has the chance to be about a .250/.350/.500 bat soon...kinda Jake Lamb like, but better defense than him (at least average defense if not a little better). There's still some question about bat speed (and walks and Ks), which will not be solved in AAA because it's the junkballer league, but 75 games of the velo league (AA) of Riley mashing there to me proves that the answer we want on that is not going to be found in AA.

Of course, on the other hand, some guy named Kris Bryant absolutely mashed AA and struck out a lot there too, so obviously, we're looking at the next Kris Bryant here. \s (Or Paul Goldschmidt)
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-06-2018), UNCBlue012 (05-07-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do I really need to dig up old posts to remind people that many on here have scoffed at the fact of rile being a good major leaguer? I don't play that game and it's equivalent to demanding someone bet money on a statement. The record is clear and everyone on this board knows it.
    I don’t recall ppl scoffing at his ability to be a mlb player

I do scoff at the idea of holding 3b open for him. I do not think he’s in the realm of prospect where you worry about that.

I’ve seen him as a 250/300/450-500 guy with avg d. I get he could be more. Tools. Lots of ks. Concerns on premium velocity. Still young.

I’m not scouting him nor am I making declarations. I would Kent know who he was if he walked in my house. I want him to be amazing bc I’m a braves fan. I just don’t see non braves sources saying he’s a future star.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So much for AA not rushing guys. Riley has like 50 more PAs in AA than Acuna did.
    I’ve said all along that was an assumption that wasn’t based on fact. He talked about not rushing guys in reference to Acuna while attempting to explain why he wouldn’t start the year in the majors. That was likely an excuse, not his actual strategy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I’ve said all along that was an assumption that wasn’t based on fact. He talked about not rushing guys in reference to Acuna while attempting to explain why he wouldn’t start the year in the majors. That was likely an excuse, not his actual strategy.
    I felt the same.
    Ivermectin Man