Page 5 of 143 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Not a huge fan of Moose, but if cost is minimal, I could get behind it. Rather have Beltre or better yet, Machado. But I would think it would take a decent haul to get someone like Machado, who is guaranteed to turn down a QO. At least a 50 FV prospect or two.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not a huge fan of Moose, but if cost is minimal, I could get behind it. Rather have Beltre or better yet, Machado. But I would think it would take a decent haul to get someone like Machado, who is guaranteed to turn down a QO. At least a 50 FV prospect or two.
    Beltre makes 18 million. Moose only makes 5.5 million.

combination of the Beltre's ability plus the need for Rangers to take back or eat a ton of salary suggests the prospect cost might be pretty high.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    They were talking about Machado on 680 the fan this morning saying if you want Machado you need to be willing to give up Riley AND Soroka, then hope you re-sign him....I don't think it would cost that much.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    They were talking about Machado on 680 the fan this morning saying if you want Machado you need to be willing to give up Riley AND Soroka, then hope you re-sign him....I don't think it would cost that much.
    Somebody’s been hanging out with Ron Washington and Chip to much if they think that’s what it would cost..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Lulz

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    It's amazing how much people don't understand the proper valuation on these bats only under control for this year. Jim Bowden was talking today about Moustakas and Herrera costing Gohara and Alex Jackson.

The Diamondbacks basically gave up three warm bodies for JD Martinez last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    It's amazing how much people don't understand the proper valuation on these bats only under control for this year. Jim Bowden was talking today about Moustakas and Herrera costing Gohara and Alex Jackson.

We get a lot of folks here with terrible ideas in the other direction.

Someone actually published a blog post suggesting the Braves could get Sale for a package centered around Jenkins. And then Odorizzi for MAdams, who was non-tendered a few weeks later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

That might be the cost now. And if it was I would not pay it.

At the deadline I think KC is going to have a piece they don't need and cannot get a pick for next year. They will have to move him. And I do not see who else will want him w/o a major injury. Maybe an AL team b/c of the flexibility of the DH.

I would not give up anyone with a high ceiling for a rental. But we do have some guys we could move.

If you have no other offers Ruiz and Ynoa might be worth eating the money and sending Moose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We get a lot of folks here with terrible ideas in the other direction.

Someone actually published a blog post suggesting the Braves could get Sale for a package centered around Jenkins. And then Odorizzi for MAdams, who was non-tendered a few weeks later.
    I may be one of these people. I'm not doing FV calculations.

But 3B is a big hole and there are options out there. And we have enough depth that we have some guys that are near the majors and expendable that could have some value.

I would not consider Machado b/c that dude should require a stud b/c he's so good. I can't see us affording Beltre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    What's not to like? I get that he's a bad body guy and a little older. I get that the OBP isn't always good.

But he is a big time upgrade from what we have and he's cheap. Next year you have an expensive option you can pick up if you want. He's not on a long term deal so you do not have a lot of risk.

I get being upset if we gave up a real prospect for him. But if we are talking about the JDM deal then I think everyone would be excited.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    What's not to like? I get that he's a bad body guy and a little older. I get that the OBP isn't always good.

But he is a big time upgrade from what we have and he's cheap. Next year you have an expensive option you can pick up if you want. He's not on a long term deal so you do not have a lot of risk.

I get being upset if we gave up a real prospect for him. But if we are talking about the JDM deal then I think everyone would be excited.
    His option is a mutual option, which is almost never picked up by both sides. It was just a way to move $1M to next season.

He is one of several deadline options that make sense though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

trying to think about whether Moustakas on a 1 year 15 million dollar contract would be a good fit for the 2019 Braves.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-14-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    His option is a mutual option, which is almost never picked up by both sides. It was just a way to move $1M to next season.

He is one of several deadline options that make sense though.
    oh, never mind then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    trying to think about whether Moustakas on a 1 year 15 million dollar contract would be a good fit for the 2019 Braves.
    Any average MLB player for 1/15 is a fit for almost any contender.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I cannot see the Braves as buyers. If this was a the Schuerholz era sure. But AA is smart to recognize a glass cannon. I think they'll make small shrewd and important moves. Expect to see them make some smart bullpen buys. Make a quality bench move. Think of this as more of a Wren deadline. Braves will look for bargains and deals from teams looking to sell, rather than looking to buy.

There are players I'd consider worthwhile aggressive buys, someone who can stick around for a couple of years.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Not a huge fan of Moose, but if cost is minimal, I could get behind it. Rather have Beltre.
    Beltre is a name I'd want. Would be a great stopgap. Though I have to wonder how much of his offense will be lost leaving Texas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Beltre makes 18 million. Moose only makes 5.5 million.

combination of the Beltre's ability plus the need for Rangers to take back or eat a ton of salary suggests the prospect cost might be pretty high.
    That's assuming a lot. Rangers if they're 100% out of it, will almost certainly consider trading Beltre and money because he won't be a huge asset in FA and odds are they won't re-sign him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

That is not a good trade for us, but it isn't as outlandish as some other trades (like Soroka and Riley for Machado).

I imagine it likely will take a pretty good prospect for a Moose and Herrera trade though. Probably 1 prospect among the Touki, Fried, Muller, Wentz, and Wilson group.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I cannot see the Braves as buyers. If this was a the Schuerholz era sure. But AA is smart to recognize a glass cannon. I think they'll make small shrewd and important moves. Expect to see them make some smart bullpen buys. Make a quality bench move. Think of this as more of a Wren deadline. Braves will look for bargains and deals from teams looking to sell, rather than looking to buy.

There are players I'd consider worthwhile aggressive buys, someone who can stick around for a couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Beltre is a name I'd want. Would be a great stopgap. Though I have to wonder how much of his offense will be lost leaving Texas.
    These comments were posted back to back, and are completely contradictory statements...

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    There's no way in hell it's gonna cost that much for 3-4 months of Machado.