Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    he’s annoying as hell sometimes, but I typically trust Law’s sources.
    Agree on all parts of that post. My only hesitation is that if there’s one team Kiley should be able to accurate on, it’s obviously the Braves. You’d certainly think he’s got a lot of leftover connections.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (05-16-2018)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I have high confidence that the Braves will draft a high school player at No. 8 because they need to start filling the gap caused by Coppygate. Kelenic would be as big a shocker as Wright falling to them last year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-13-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Havent followed the draft much but need to draft a HS hitter with graduation of Riley soon, Swanson, Albies, and Acuna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Agree on all parts of that post. My only hesitation is that if there’s one team Kiley should be able to accurate on, it’s obviously the Braves. You’d certainly think he’s got a lot of leftover connections.
    I'd have to think that his leftover sources have taken a backseat in terms of decision making.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I'd have to think that his leftover sources have taken a backseat in terms of decision making.
    Not sure about that. I haven’t seen any reported changes from the draft side of the decision makers.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Oh, as in most years...we will have all of these potential guys, and it will end up being a guy we will collectively say “Who??”. That said guy will then go onto to prove us wrong most likely lol. I do hope we nab a hitter though, but I’m not counting on it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    New Fangraphs mock has us taking Gorman at 8. Just a week or two ago, they were saying they hadn't heard that connection while others were projecting it, so they've clearly come around on that. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018...k-draft-v-2-0/

8. Atlanta Braves – Nolan Gorman, 3B, O’Connor HS (AZ)
    It’s still unclear what the Braves’ draft direction will be under a new GM, but they’ve been tied to all the usual prep names this spring aside from Bart, who won’t make it this far. California prep righty Cole Winn is in play starting around this pick, and Kelenic is also being considered, along with a number of other prep arms.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    New Fangraphs mock has us taking Gorman at 8. Just a week or two ago, they were saying they hadn't heard that connection while others were projecting it, so they've clearly come around on that. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018...k-draft-v-2-0/

It’s still unclear what the Braves’ draft direction will be under a new GM, but they’ve been tied to all the usual prep names this spring aside from Bart, who won’t make it this far. California prep righty Cole Winn is in play starting around this pick, and Kelenic is also being considered, along with a number of other prep arms.
    At least it's a position player.

Another very interesting note is where they have guys like Rocker (#38) and Hankins (#42) being picked.

As I said earlier, a talented and risky HS arm is likely to be available in the 2nd round, so I would like to see the Braves get a position player at #8 and grab one of those arms at #49.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2018), UNCBlue012 (05-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Having "heat in to see him" is a stupid thing to say repetively in semi-formal writing. Or once really.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2018)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Having "heat in to see him" is a stupid thing to say repetively in semi-formal writing. Or once really.
    It’s really weird. Must be a scouting thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Another very interesting note is where they have guys like Rocker (#38) and Hankins (#42) being picked.

As I said earlier, a talented and risky HS arm is likely to be available in the 2nd round, so I would like to see the Braves get a position player at #8 and grab one of those arms at #49.
    Some of those guys are known not to be signable at that range. It would take a massive overpay and top money for some of them to sign. They may not go top 10, so teams won’t take them knowing they likely cannot sign around slot.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    It’s really weird. Must be a scouting thing
    I obviously knew what it meant after thinking about it, but this is not a phrase that regular people use. And it's sort of a stupid phrase to boot.

Using it once or twice for color and faux authority is stretching it. Using it 10-15 times in a 40 paragraph article is just poor writing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    KC and Tampa would seem to be the best destinations for risky first round arms if they really fall.

It looks like a relatively weak draft for hitters, but the pitching depth seems to be there. One of those teams should give Hankins above slot money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I don't think he is going to be available at 8 but I will go ape**** if we draft Bart. I hate college catchers with a passion. The "safer" and higher "floor" they have the more I hate them. I would sooner draft a college senior who would sign for 5$ so we can draft real prospects later than to draft Bart.

I am not comparing them as prospects but it would be the whole Cody Johnson situation all over again for me if anyone remembers how much I hated that pick.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (05-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

I don't see where the money would come from. I can't imagine Gorman goes underslot at 8.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I don't think he is going to be available at 8 but I will go ape**** if we draft Bart. I hate college catchers with a passion. The "safer" and higher "floor" they have the more I hate them. I would sooner draft a college senior who would sign for 5$ so we can draft real prospects later than to draft Bart.

I am not comparing them as prospects but it would be the whole Cody Johnson situation all over again for me if anyone remembers how much I hated that pick.
    I don't get all of the rules. It seemed like last year we may have made it known we would pay a lot for Wright and he fell.

If we have a guy we really like maybe his demand is so high that he can fall. Then we'd have to make it a 1-2 player draft and put in a lot of senior signs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I don't see where the money would come from. I can't imagine Gorman goes underslot at 8.
    Same place the Wright money came from last year...cheap seniors after the top picks.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Same place the Wright money came from last year...cheap seniors after the top picks.
    Under the table deals for cars?
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The problem with going big money in the second round is we lost the pick value of our third rounder. That makes it a lot more difficult to game the system, especially when there are many teams with multiple picks before our second pick. I wouldn’t bank on that happening.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    The problem with going big money in the second round is we lost the pick value of our third rounder. That makes it a lot more difficult to game the system, especially when there are many teams with multiple picks before our second pick. I wouldn’t bank on that happening.
    This "many teams with multiple picks before our second pick" line was used last year too, but the Braves still got Wright over slot.

If the Braves want to punt their entire draft to get Gorman at #8 and a HS arm at #49, they can certainly do it.

Whether or not a guy will be there at #49 worthy of such a move is obviously not going to be certain until daft day.