Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: GDT: Cubs @ Braves 5/15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL, well I'll be on the edge of my seat hoping someone asks and I can read your thoughts that are sure to be well thought out pearls of wisdom! A baseball genius hiding in the weeds!!
    I laughed, I admit it. You got me. No baseball genius, but replying to huddy2’s comment, for them to be a WS contender THIS year, I feel they need to look at their options for closer, a 3B, and a TOR starter. That’s what I think it would take to get this team to be WS contenders this year. I still feel they’re at least a year away. To get that done this year would strip the farm dry and wouldn’t be worth it.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I've said this numerous times regarding college football replays, but it is every bit as valid in baseball.

You don't need a current or former umpire working the replay booth. Umps/Refs have a natural predisposition towards protecting their own, even more so than cops. The calls that are reviewable are not plays that require an umpire's judgment - anyone with experience in the sport in question can review to see if the play was called correctly. Penalties in football, and balls and strikes in baseball, are not reviewable plays anyway. It doesn't take a skilled umpire to watch a play on video to determine if a tag was made, if a runner beat the ball on a force out, or if a potential home run stayed fair or cleared the yellow line.

I'd prefer to see retired players, former coaches or managers, or executives making the final judgment on reviewed plays. I guarantee the rate of overturned plays would go up, as would the accuracy of the decisions. Allowing officials to review their own mistakes is like letting convicts be judges for criminal trials.
    THIS all day.... was thinking the exact same thing last night - a similar analogy that came to my mind is that'd be like having salary arbitration hearings in the offseason, w/ a panel consisted entirely of former owners or otherwise high-ranking management

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Even my wife who has a basic understanding of safe and out saw it as safe. Just absurd that 'professionals' didn't see this.
    I'm sure the officials in NY or wherever they review the calls from, have a dual, side by side video system they can slow down and advance frame by frame, one picture on the tag and the other on the base. This whole "overwhelming evidence" stuff is BS, imo. It should be either OUT or SAFE or TIE GOES TO THE RUNNER. I have to believe that they can, the great majority of the time, see it clearly on their system. I don't know why FOX doesn't show this dual, frame by frame look, too. Sometimes it seems like they aren't showing viewers the best look.
    Last edited by Runnin; 05-16-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL, well I'll be on the edge of my seat hoping someone asks and I can read your thoughts that are sure to be well thought out pearls of wisdom! A baseball genius hiding in the weeds!!
    jesus christ. it's every single thread.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    jesus christ. it's every single thread.
    He does it for the attention. When he gets the attention he craves he cries that you're stalking him. LOL!