Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reverse Pennant Chase

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    It's gonna really suck in next year's draft when teams like the Rays, Reds or D'Backs pick ahead of us because of these meaningless wins, and select guys we would have loved to have gotten. No you can't just tank, but goddamn you can stop using all your top guys in every friggin inning.
    The #1 pick usually doesn't end up the best player in the draft. Hell just go look at 2010 with generational talent Bryce Harper. O's at #3 came out better. Get the pick right and it won't matter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-29-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The slot money difference is the only issue that really is bothersome. We'll likely be picking in the Top 5, so we'll get a player. We just won't have the flexibility to move money around like we did this year. The important thing to remember (and I've said this before), it's professional baseball. You play to win. For those calling for tank mode, we've been sending Bonifacio up there in key situations and that is at least tank-like. Someone forget to tell him to not get hits.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    It's just frustrating as hell to have this team in the #1 or #2 draft slot all year long, then right here at the end of the season we get hot and could slip down several slots in the draft.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I am a champion of wanting the #1 pick. But we have trimmed so much fat off our roster from the 1st half that you can't route to loose anymore. To loose would require guys like Blair/Wisler/Folty/JT/BP/Ender/FF/Jace/Swanson/Adonis/Gant/Neck/Flowers all to do just bad enough to loose. and I don't want any of those guys to do poorly. If Collmenter gets blown up.. so be it. if Boni or Rio struggle, fine.. Recker.. who cares.. but we don't have enough of those guys that will help us lose unless our core struggles.

Like I said earlier, I think I would rather see our core guys succeed now and either have something to look forward to or use as trade chips and replace with upgrades over tanking by playing garbage.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am a champion of wanting the #1 pick. But we have trimmed so much fat off our roster from the 1st half that you can't route to loose anymore. To loose would require guys like Blair/Wisler/Folty/JT/BP/Ender/FF/Jace/Swanson/Adonis/Gant/Neck/Flowers all to do just bad enough to loose. and I don't want any of those guys to do poorly. If Collmenter gets blown up.. so be it. if Boni or Rio struggle, fine.. Recker.. who cares.. but we don't have enough of those guys that will help us lose unless our core struggles.

Like I said earlier, I think I would rather see our core guys succeed now and either have something to look forward to or use as trade chips and replace with upgrades over tanking by playing garbage.
    The team that is winning right now will be the foundation of next years team....and a couple of years down the road. Look at this team, imagine a couple of solid additions, with continued progress from some guys in the minors. You don't have to squint too hard to see an upward trend here that should continue for the next few years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-29-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    The team that is winning right now will be the foundation of next years team....and a couple of years down the road. Look at this team, imagine a couple of solid additions, with continued progress from some guys in the minors. You don't have to squint too hard to see an upward trend here that should continue for the next few years.
    The most promising thing is that the offense is performing really well, and most of the key pieces will be around for several years...Freeman, Swanson, Inciarte, Kemp. Indeed, especially if you add a quality bat or two, the offense suddenly looks like it could be above-average for a while.

That has been the concern because you feel confident the internal pitching has a chance to be really, really good within a couple years.

While I would love the #1 pick, and it's certainly frustrating to have expected at least a top 2 pick and see it slipping away, the rebuild is suddenly starting to take shape right in front of us. It's not that difficult to see a halfway decent team on the field for 2017 and a competing team as soon as 2018.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-29-2016), mfree80 (09-28-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Like I said in another thread, if the Braves go 3-2 the rest of the way they finish at 49-48 for the season, since June 14th. That's... incredible.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Like I said in another thread, if the Braves go 3-2 the rest of the way they finish at 49-48 for the season, since June 14th. That's... incredible.
    I think 100 games is enough of a sample size to say this team is better than what we started with. Right now we are .500+ team with potential to be .550+ with luck and few moves.

to me that is more exciting than picking #2 instead #6

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-29-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I am a BP guy and the Braves will have an excellent BP..(should).. with our young starters, a pen that can start in the 6th and shut you down is so very important. I think if the pen lives up to billing then we will be a Wild card team at the least.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Might as well pencil us in for the worst position we can get. We have turned into the Cubs.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (09-28-2016), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-28-2016), thewupk (09-28-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Might as well pencil us in for the worst position we can get. We have turned into the Cubs.
    I hope we lose to the Tigers. I'm a fan of that team and would like to see them get in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Ahhhh the hell with it. I'm done rooting against us. I can live moving down a few spots bc it is fun seeing what next year could be like. This team has a ton of chemistry and is having a blast right now. Maybe the other teams will win with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Everybody winning tonight but the Rays.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Everybody winning tonight but the Rays.
    I believe that drops us to #3

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Yep, with 4 games remaining, all this winning has finally dropped us to the #3 position.

1. Twins
    2. Rays
    3. Braves
    4. D'Backs
    5. Reds
    6. A's
    7. Padres

If we win our last 4, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we do, we most likely would drop to the 7th position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    No way we sweep Detroit.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    No way we sweep Detroit.
    Opposite will happen. Tigers gonna make a run this year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Opposite will happen. Tigers gonna make a run this year.
    Tigers will likely need every game til the end. They'll be pulling out all the stops. Doesn't mean we can't or won't win those games, but we will be facing an extremely motivated team with the clock running on them.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Tigers will likely need every game til the end. They'll be pulling out all the stops. Doesn't mean we can't or won't win those games, but we will be facing an extremely motivated team with the clock running on them.
    That's true, but this team is playing so well right now with so much confidence, I fully expect us to win each and every night. We've won 9 of the last 10 and are hitting on all cylinders. While it sucks to potentially drop in the draft, I have to admit that it is quite exciting to think about our 2017 team. The additions of Kemp and Swanson have made a huge difference.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-29-2016), mfree80 (09-29-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the Mets and Fish were motivated teams the last time we played them.