Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Anthopoulos

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Entirely possible. But even if he were capable of putting the front office in order and getting rid of the toxic environment, I still don't like his obsession with over the hill guys.
    Over the hill? Are you sure you know who the Braves hired as GM?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Over the hill? Are you sure you know who the Braves hired as GM?
    I don't like AA's obsession with trading for over the hill guys (e.g. Dickey, Reyes, Tulo, Josh Johnson). He's had a history of saddling his club with some aging contracts. That's something we can't afford (as evidenced by Olivera -> Kemp).

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I disagree with your assumption Hart fired Coppy because of analytics, but I agree that Coppy was definitely scapegoated to save Hart’s own skin.
    Enscheff is just venting, because none of his 57 voicemails got returned for requesting an interview.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Interesting Reddit write-up on AA from a Blue Jays fan:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm..._age_of_being/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-13-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (11-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I don't like AA's obsession with trading for over the hill guys (e.g. Dickey, Reyes, Tulo, Josh Johnson). He's had a history of saddling his club with some aging contracts. That's something we can't afford (as evidenced by Olivera -> Kemp).
    Agreed. My hope is he learned a lot from spending 2 years in the Dodgers FO.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Interesting Reddit write-up on AA from a Blue Jays fan:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm..._age_of_being/
    I like the idea of a no leak FO who makes deals like ninjas. I think one of Coppy/Hart leaked a lot of rumored signings and trades we never planned on making to allow the media to manipulate fans in to keeping interest in the team. We don't need all that jazz. If you're gonna make a move then make a move.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    He also had luxury of doing that with Jays ownership increasing payroll. And it nearly worked with the Jays making back to back ALCS appearances.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Guys at TalkingChop seem to understand just how dumb the Braves FO is:

https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/11/...ice-things-wow

"The fact that Anthopoulos — a former MLB Executive of the Year who managed to turn the Toronto Blue Jays into a contender in a land where merely existing with the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees means that it’s going to be an absolute scrap just to get third place, much less actually win the division and make it to two consecutive American League Championship Series like they did under his leadership in 2015 and 2016 — was actually considered “Plan B” behind Dayton Moore and was also considered a candidate on equal footing with former Cubs GM Jim Hendry is actually amazing to think about and also proof that the Braves messed around and stumbled into a gold mine of a hire."

The Braves tried their damnedest to mess this up, but in the end they ended up OK...just like a Mr. Magoo episode.

Something about blind squirrels and getting lucky to find a nut seems to apply here.

I'm guessing someone above McGuirk's pay grade stepped in and took back control of the daycare center to restore a bit of order.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Yes, I'm sure Hart decided to give up all power. He was like, "I immediately fired Coppy and tried to get him to sign a NDA to save my own ass, but now? Now I'm just going to pass the torch to AA because I'm such a great guy".

Come on guys...
    I suspect that McGuirk’s team made the decision to fire Coppy, to not give the keys to Hart, and ultimately to hire AA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I seriously don’t personally care and think this hire is just fine but how is making two ALCS better than making two WS and winning one?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I seriously don’t personally care and think this hire is just fine but how is making two ALCS better than making two WS and winning one?
    You think competing in the AL East against the Yankees and Red Sox is equivalent to competing in the AL Central?

Edit: No
    Last edited by The Chosen One; 11-13-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: No

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts

"The fact that Anthopoulos — a former MLB Executive of the Year who managed to turn the Toronto Blue Jays into a contender in a land where merely existing with the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees means that it’s going to be an absolute scrap just to get third place, much less actually win the division and make it to two consecutive American League Championship Series like they did under his leadership in 2015 and 2016 — was actually considered “Plan B” behind Dayton Moore and was also considered a candidate on equal footing with former Cubs GM Jim Hendry is actually amazing to think about and also proof that the Braves messed around and stumbled into a gold mine of a hire."

The Braves tried their damnedest to mess this up, but in the end they ended up OK...just like a Mr. Magoo episode.

Something about blind squirrels and getting lucky to find a nut seems to apply here.

I'm guessing someone above McGuirk's pay grade stepped in and took back control of the daycare center to restore a bit of order.
    The logic of that is a bit flawed. If AA gets a ton of credit for making it to two ALCSes, shouldn't Moore get more credit for winning two pennants and one series with a significantly lower payroll?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The logic of that is a bit flawed. If AA gets a ton of credit for making it to two ALCSes, shouldn't Moore get more credit for winning two pennants and one series with a significantly lower payroll?
    You think competing in the AL East against the Yankees and Red Sox is equivalent to competing in the AL Central?

Edit: No.
    Last edited by The Chosen One; 11-13-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts

Have you ever watched baseball?
    Of course the regular seasons are not equivalent. But then again the resources of the two teams weren't equivalent and the Royals still had to overcome the best teams to win the AL twice.

There are plenty of reasons you can argue about whether AA or Moore is superior. However, implying that it was amazing that AA was considered a plan B to Moore because of AA's success in the AL East isn't great logic.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts

Even when complimenting a Braves move Enscheff must include the postscript of how stupid they are.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Of course the regular seasons are not equivalent. But then again the resources of the two teams weren't equivalent and the Royals still had to overcome the best teams to win the AL twice.

There are plenty of reasons you can argue about whether AA or Moore is superior. However, implying that it was amazing that AA was considered a plan B to Moore because of AA's success in the AL East isn't great logic.
    You can also make the argument Moore had been there almost a decade before they were even above .500, several top 3 picks later.

AA took over for Ricciardi and got them to new heights in less time.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Even when complimenting a Braves move Enscheff must include the postscript of how stupid they are.
    You're right, their complete and utter stupidity should be self evident by now. I can probably stop bringing it up.

Here's to hoping AA learned a bit from his 2 years with the Dodgers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Edit: No.

I think that making two WS appearances requires winning the ALCS twice. One of those ALCS wins was over the Blue Jays.

Given the Royals hadn't made the playoffs since 1985 and were perennial 100 game losers when he arrived, I think it was plenty difficult for the Royals to exceed the accomplishments of the Blue Jays despite the Blue Jays playing in an Al East that is traditionally strong, but was hardly at it top strength at the time.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 11-13-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    He should demonstrate his unilateral autonomy by immediately ****canning Snitker and Hernandez.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-14-2017), jpx7 (11-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Edit: No

Are you really going to sit here and try to say the Royals weren't one of the best teams in baseball in 2014 and 2015? If I recall correctly, the Royals won the most regular season games in baseball from June 1, 2013 through the end of 2015. And then took down some of baseball's best in two straight postseasons.

Dayton Moore has his faults, and I wouldn't personally want him over AA. But he built a pretty great team that won the WS, despite payroll limitations for much of his time as GM of the Royals. Acting like Moore is Steve Phillips re-incarnate is pretty dumb.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-13-2017 at 04:59 PM.