Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ureña suspended

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Why is 10 days "fair" when Hamels was suspended 5 games for drilling Harper? Hamels literally said, "I was trying to hit him". How is what Urena did any more obviously intentional than that? Because some people think Harper "deserved it", or don't like Harper? Or is it because Acuna literally just got picked up in 100 national stories due to his HR streak the day before this happened, and writers want more clicks?

Again, folks are being irrational. If Hamels was suspended 5 games, and Urena was suspended 6 games, then Urena was punished worse for a lesser crime already. That will undoubtedly be his defense when he appeals, and will almost certainly be reduced to 5 games...and you all will cry about it again.

I'm guessing this will be addressed by the MLBPA and MLB this off season because baseballs traveling at 95+ mph need to stop being intentionally thrown at human beings. All but the most thick headed baseball dinosaurs can agree with that.

However, it's not an argument of "fair", which is what folks tend to fall back on in an emotional tirade..."it's not faaaaaair, waaaah!!".

"Fair" is following precedent and punishing Urena exactly as all other similar offenders have been punished. "Fair" is agreeing to a new set of punishments before the new punishment is doled out to future offenders.
    I believe these incidents need a far bigger penalty than 6 games as a suspension for pitchers. I also assumed this is what MLB would do because they haven't shown any real willingness to take these seriously in the past. It does need to be addressed and changed.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I believe these incidents need a far bigger penalty than 6 games as a suspension for pitchers. I also assumed this is what MLB would do because they haven't shown any real willingness to take these seriously in the past. It does need to be addressed and changed.
    Now there is some rational thinking. The other suspensions to which we are comparing this one were also insufficient. It is a problem that needs to be addressed.

I will wait for the arbiter of rationality to weigh in on whether this meets the standard of rational thought.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-18-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    You guys are getting it!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You guys are getting it!
    I never felt differently. Just summing up the thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I think MLB suspensions for hitting batters need to be rarer but also much more severe. To me, there's a qualitative difference between "old school" policing the game and trying to hurt someone.

Not every guy who plunks someone on purpose should get ejected and suspended. If a pitcher is wild but keeps trying to pitch inside and hits several Braves, I want our pitcher to plunk one of their hitters. Take some off your fastball and put it in his back pocket. It sends the message and keeps things in line. I think that is "part of the game."

I don't like those kinds of HBPs getting lumped in with what Urena did. Throwing one at a guy nearly 98 miles an hour and up just because he was terrorizing your club is reprehensible. That's the stuff that should draw lengthy suspensions.

To use football as an example, there's a difference between earholing someone who has been playing a bit dirty all game and trying to stomp on someone on the ground. One is part of the game, the other is borderline assault.

That being said, anyone expecting more than 5 or 6 games was expecting way too much. That's what the established protocol is, it's what the player's union allows, and so it was what was going to happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    So now you want MLB executives to dabble in your favorite past time...determining intent based on watching video. Further, they should assign scenarios where it’s ok to intentionally hit batters based on...reasons.

Seems like a solid plan!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The current penalty seems sufficient to me.

If they want to take a look in the offseason at making it more stringent or beefing up protections against repeat offenders, then that's also fine with me.

But I don't think there is any present crisis

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    What a crap week.... First my dog dies and now I have to agree with Enschlep. Next thing you know Giles will start posting again and they will make niners guy a mod.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    they will make niners guy a mod.
    Well, apparently, there are already worse people that are currently mods.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    What a crap week.... First my dog dies and now I have to agree with Enschlep. Next thing you know Giles will start posting again and they will make niners guy a mod.
    Derp dog for mod!

Maybe he can start a sub forum where you guys can gather and discuss how terrible new things like Facebook live games are.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-17-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Why is 10 days "fair" when Hamels was suspended 5 games for drilling Harper? Hamels literally said, "I was trying to hit him". How is what Urena did any more obviously intentional than that? Because some people think Harper "deserved it", or don't like Harper? Or is it because Acuna literally just got picked up in 100 national stories due to his HR streak the day before this happened, and writers want more clicks?

Again, folks are being irrational. If Hamels was suspended 5 games, and Urena was suspended 6 games, then Urena was punished worse for a lesser crime already. That will undoubtedly be his defense when he appeals, and will almost certainly be reduced to 5 games...and you all will cry about it again.

I'm guessing this will be addressed by the MLBPA and MLB this off season because baseballs traveling at 95+ mph need to stop being intentionally thrown at human beings. All but the most thick headed baseball dinosaurs can agree with that.

However, it's not an argument of "fair", which is what folks tend to fall back on in an emotional tirade..."it's not faaaaaair, waaaah!!".

"Fair" is following precedent and punishing Urena exactly as all other similar offenders have been punished. "Fair" is agreeing to a new set of punishments before the new punishment is doled out to future offenders.
    Hamels also should’ve been suspended longer. But each new event is an opportunity to set the new precedent.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    I feel like MLB and the players union should work out something like this as a punishment for starting pitchers for situations like this. Pitcher is ineligible to pitch for 20 games (4 starts) however only loses 4 games worth of pay. In addition the ineligible player while unable to play can’t be moved off the 25 man roster. This punishes the team and the player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    MLB teams would never agree to play games with a 24 man roster, and neither would the MLBPA for any amount of time, much less 3 entire weeks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Sorry about your dog! I feel your pain my cat got hit by a car last year and it was tough. The best advice I got is when you lose a beloved animal to get another one that the deceased pet would want you to pass on the love to another animal without a home so I have a cat that stays in the house at all times now. I also put a candle in the front window on the other side of where his bed was and it's still there and his death was one year ago this coming Sunday.
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 08-17-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    So now you want MLB executives to dabble in your favorite past time...determining intent based on watching video. Further, they should assign scenarios where it’s ok to intentionally hit batters based on...reasons.

Seems like a solid plan!
    Straw man.

We send people to jail based on outsiders determining intent and levels of culpability is an important part of the law.

Someone policing the game is far less culpable than someone trying to injure.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Urine better hope he doesn't step in the box against us ever again, not just this season.