Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Playoff GDT 10/7/19: Braves @ Cardinals Game 4 - The Death Blow for the Dead Birds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'd probably rather Soroka throw twice, than DK.
    Folty was our best starter down the stretch. Long-term I prefer Soroka, but based on form the last few months it makes sense to line it up so Folty can take the mound in game 5. If Soroka had started game 1, I don't think he would have been brought back on short rest to start game 4 given signs he was wearning down at the end of the season. I also think he benefited from the extra days rest he got by being assigned game 3.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Freddie has struck out a lot but he's also hit the piss out of a few ball. It happens and it sucks but he's probably pressing more than anything. If he comes through big in Game 5, we can all shut up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It has nothing to do with the team being trash or losing a close game. This team hasn't won a playoff series in nearly two decades, and now we've lost two games to one of our hated arch-rivals who always seem to have everything go their way against us in the most ridiculous, cheapest ways possible. Now we get to watch another opposing team celebrate on our field for the 10th time in our last 12 postseason exits. It's ****ing frustrating and everyone here has a right to vent right now. If you want to mock then you can **** right off.
    Then by all means, keep whining like a bunch of little bitches. This is a playoff series matching up 2 very evenly matched teams that has produced 4 excellent games. What else did you twits expect?

Nobody complained about all the lucky breaks the Braves have gotten in their wins.

WWAAAAHHHH it’s unfair. WWAAAAHHHH the Cards are so lucky. WAAAAHHHH Molina is so mean. WWWAAAAAHHHHH!

If anything in Braves country is pathetic and embarrassing it’s you whiny little crybabies. Wn with class and lose with dignity if you have the mental fortitude to do so...you don’t.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-08-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    This loss really stings, but so did the game 3 loss for the Cardinals. If we end up losing this series, the lasting image will be the Molina hit that went just an inch over Freeman's glove.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yesterdays loss wasn’t on DK at all. Our lack of offense was. Acuna went 4-5 and never scored. Freeman and Donaldson had several chances to blow it open and **** the bed

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    The one point below that I agree with is its hard to blame the Braves choice when we've gotten to the 8th inning of every game having allowed 3 runs or less. In that sense, no matter how you skin it our pitching has been great and the offense has simply let us down.

Its unfortunate because this one may go down more than any other series I can remember where the offensive under-performance cost us. Our pitching has overall been incredible and short of game one 9th inning heroics, we have not been able to score more than 3-4 runs which is really disappointing.

I don't mean to be a downer but I just don't feel good about game 5. I think 1st inning will be critical. Need to make Flaherty work hard early. Maybe the overwork and getting to 130 pitches in game one will play dividends. Overall though, its hard to not feel we let it slip away and are now relying on winning a tough match-up. Anyone have the probability assigned to Braves winning game 5?

Overworking Flaherty in his previous appearance is probably the biggest pitching mistake that has been made in the series. I hope that it comes back to haunt them.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    As stupid as it sounds the only bright side is after 20 years of being cursed at turned field, now is the time to fix the script and win a big game at home. If this sh*t is just entertainment to us fans at the end of the day, you can't really beat a big home game 5 win.

Braves win if they get good performances from these 4 players: Folty, Acuna, Freeman, JD, and to an extent Albies. That simple. We had three guys put up a combined 120 home runs. The rest of our line-up really has 4 decent hitters, of which you probably expect maybe two of them on any given night have a good game. Just hope its a game we make them labor. Want them into the pen by the 5th or 6th inning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Overworking Flaherty in his previous appearance is probably the biggest pitching mistake that has been made in the series. I hope that it comes back to haunt them.
    I think that might be a silver lining. Plus his velocity in game 2 was a tick below what he showed most of the season. Could be wearing down. Folty otoh had maybe his best stuff of the year.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Folty was our best starter down the stretch. Long-term I prefer Soroka, but based on form the last few months it makes sense to line it up so Folty can take the mound in game 5. If Soroka had started game 1, I don't think he would have been brought back on short rest to start game 4 given signs he was wearning down at the end of the season. I also think he benefited from the extra days rest he got by being assigned game 3.
    You should have been able to get Soroka extra days of rest if you had managed your rotation to make it so.

I think the treatment of Fried in this series is sort of interesting as well. I think it's true that he was the most likely of the starters to play up well in relief (I'd argue for Folty too perhaps) and had experience doing it. But to me, it also seemed like he was as likely as anyone else to put up 7 strong innings in a start.

Prioritizing Keuchel's role as a starter in this series seems really veteran/experience/past season performance oriented. I don't think it really reflects who he has been this year. I would not have been motivated to get him more than one start in this series.

I would actually have preferred to go down with the young guys because they are going to be the core of playoff rotations in the future and also are arguably the best options in the present.

But this is not a "this dumb decision cost us the series."

It obviously did not. Or at least not so far. the starting pitching was good in the first three games. I think Keuchel's start was not a success yesterday, but it also was not a disaster. Still, that was not my preference for who would get a short rest second start.

I feel relatively ok with Folty being the decider the way things have gone for him lately.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

sc1767 (10-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Cy has been perhaps the most annoying poster of the post season...and that's saying something.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    You should have been able to get Soroka extra days of rest if you had managed your rotation to make it so.

I think the treatment of Fried in this series is sort of interesting as well. I think it's true that he was the most likely of the starters to play up well in relief (I'd argue for Folty too perhaps) and had experience doing it. But to me, it also seemed like he was as likely as anyone else to put up 7 strong innings in a start.

Prioritizing Keuchel's role as a starter in this series seems really veteran/experience/past season performance oriented. I don't think it really reflects who he has been this year. I would not have been motivated to get him more than one start in this series.

I would actually have preferred to go down with the young guys because they are going to be the core of playoff rotations in the future and also are arguably the best options in the present.

But this is not a "this dumb decision cost us the series."

It obviously did not. Or at least not so far. the starting pitching was good in the first three games. I think Keuchel's start was not a success yesterday, but it also was not a disaster. Still, that was not my preference for who would get a short rest second start.

I feel relatively ok with Folty being the decider the way things have gone for him lately.
    I think we are in agreement on Fried. He should have made a start. I can see why they thought he was more valuable being in the pen. But I'm not a buyer of that argument even with the injury to Martin. He should have been our game 4 starter (meaning no relief appearances after game 1). I think the game 1 performance and the Martin injury overly influenced their decision making on how best to use Fried. Some of this is easier to say of course with the benefit of hindsight and how games 2-4 played out.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think we are in agreement on Fried. He should have made a start. I can see why they thought he was more valuable being in the pen. But I'm not a buyer of that argument even with the injury to Martin. He should have been our game 4 starter (meaning no relief appearances after game 1). I think the game 1 performance and the Martin injury overly influenced their decision making on how best to use Fried. Some of this is easier to say of course with the benefit of hindsight and how games 2-4 played out.
    Well, we probably felt that way before the decision was final, but maybe we're a little more decided about it now that we've seen results.

I see the argument for Fried in relief, but I just couldn't quite get to agreeing with it.

But I'm currently ascribing the losses in the series to injuries and decimated bench and the vagaries of short series BABIP. Two playoff teams that have played a very competitive series. I'm ok that it didn't exactly follow my plan.

I'm just curious why the Braves picked the plan they set out on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Well, we probably felt that way before the decision was final, but maybe we're a little more decided about it now that we've seen results.

I see the argument for Fried in relief, but I just couldn't quite get to agreeing with it.

But I'm currently ascribing the losses in the series to injuries and decimated bench and the vagaries of short series BABIP. Two playoff teams that have played a very competitive series. I'm ok that it didn't exactly follow my plan.

I'm just curious why the Braves picked the plan they set out on.
    I think with Keuchel his performances at the end of the regular season were neither strongly supportive of giving him the game 1 start nor strongly against it. At the end of the day, they probably decided based on his big game experience and the idea that he seems to be the most unflappable of our starting pitchers. Things you can't put a number on but I'm sure entered the decision-making process.

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    I saw this on Twitter and thought I’d share. We just need to pitch around Goldy and Ozuna and we should be fine.

Ozuna and Goldschmidt have 15 of the 33 St. Louis hits so far. They've been awesome.

Ozuna/Goldy: .455 BA / 1.030 SLG / .614 wOBA
    Everyone else: .179 BA / .221 SLG / .194 wOBA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I saw this on Twitter and thought I’d share. We just need to pitch around Goldy and Ozuna and we should be fine.

Ozuna and Goldschmidt have 15 of the 33 St. Louis hits so far. They've been awesome.

Ozuna/Goldy: .455 BA / 1.030 SLG / .614 wOBA
    Everyone else: .179 BA / .221 SLG / .194 wOBA
    that's a perfect twitter take

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Then by all means, keep whining like a bunch of little bitches. This is a playoff series matching up 2 very evenly matched teams that has produced 4 excellent games. What else did you twits expect?

Nobody complained about all the lucky breaks the Braves have gotten in their wins.

WWAAAAHHHH it’s unfair. WWAAAAHHHH the Cards are so lucky. WAAAAHHHH Molina is so mean. WWWAAAAAHHHHH!

If anything in Braves country is pathetic and embarrassing it’s you whiny little crybabies. Wn with class and lose with dignity if you have the mental fortitude to do so...you don’t.
    Imagine going into a playoff gamethread and expecting anything other than overreaction right after a devastating loss, especially given the respective team’s history. I’m always one of the more level headed posters regarding the team year-in-year-out. Excuse ****ing me if I let my emotions get the better of me during a playoff series. I guess we all can’t be soulless robots 100% of the time like you.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 10-08-2019 at 11:19 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

pecas (10-08-2019), UNCBlue012 (10-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Cy has been perhaps the most annoying poster of the post season...and that's saying something.
    Why? Because I’m right? I told all of you they weren’t going to win before the series even started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Imagine going into a playoff gamethread and expecting anything other than overreaction right after a devastating loss, especially given the respective team’s history. I’m always one of the more level headed posters regarding the team year-in-year-out. Excuse ****ing me if I let my emotions get the better of me during a playoff series. I guess we all can’t be soulless robots 100% of the time like you.
    Y'all crap on CY all you want but he's 100% right here. If Enscheff, or anyone for that point, is annoyed or frustrated with a(n) posters' emotional response during a playoff series, then get the **** out of here. Enjoy the game how you like it. This judgmental BS isn't needed around here anyways.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Why? Because I’m right? I told all of you they weren’t going to win before the series even started.

WWWAAAAHHHHH!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Also, you shouldn’t confuse online persona with the real world one. I hate that we lost, but I work with Cardinals fans and I’m shooting the **** with them and joking around, and I’m still going on with my everyday life. If you actually think I’m throwing a fit in real life like I am on here, then you’re just plain ****ing dumb. This is a place to vent our frustrations and overreact immediately after games. As long as it doesn’t actually seep over into our logical processes when it comes to our posting, other posters here shouldn’t get too annoyed.

Basically you shouldn’t be taking reactions right after a game like this too seriously.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 10-08-2019 at 11:38 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-08-2019)